Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What I meant is relative to right now. Anything to do with Brexit, non-Brexit trade barriers or brinkmanship over the NI protocolor any other common sense conservative policies will of course remain as problems but compared to things as they are now with interest rates and the pound, these should improve a bit in the new year.

I still think Sunak is doomed. He never believed in levelling up and that was the one thing that might have made the northern seats viable to hold in the long term. Handouts for billionaires and racism for the Tommy Robinsons aren't a winning combination.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Managing to be a little less awful than Liz Truss isn't much of a flex - Labour still have a 28 point lead in that single Poll by YouGov (owned by Nadhim Zahawi).

I'm sure Sunak will poll better than Truss if only for the fact that he won't recklessly trash the economy overnight again.

But it's a very very long road back to a point where a future election is remotely competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Your link is paywalled, so we can't see the results of the poll you are referring to. But a BMG Poll published yesterday give the Tories a "poll bounce" of 2%. That's within the margin of error. Even with that, the poll still shows a 23% margin in favour of Labour, which in an election would translate into a wipeout for the Tories. This is not the "poll bounce" the Tories will have been hoping for.

The interesting thing about the BMG poll is not just the [lack of any meaningful] poll bounce for the Tories. It shows that Sunak is (just) favoured as a better PM than Starmer (36% Sunak: 35% Truss). That should be good for the Tories; it compares very favourably with the Starmer/Truss result (53% Starmer: 10% Truss). But a large chunk - something like a third - of those who say Sunak would be the better PM also say that in a general election they would vote Labour.

What this tells us is that the Tories' problem is not their leader; many people who like their leader still won't vote for them. That's comforting for Sunak, because he can point to it to show that he's not their problem, and therefore the party can't improve its position by dumping him. But it's worrying for the party, because it means the Tory brand has become toxic for reasons other than concerns about leadership. Tories urgently need to identify what those reasons are, and be willing to take action to address them.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

From the article via archive.ph

A YouGov poll for The Times, published today, found that Tory support had risen four points to 23 per cent, whereas Labour had slipped five points to 51 per cent, giving the opposition a 28-point lead.

Also, this gem at the end of the article:

• The BBC apologised last night for broadcasting a “word cloud” graphic of phrases the public had used to describe the new prime minister, which featured two obscenities. It said it accepted that it had been a mistake to broadcast the item on the BBC News Channel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reduced by 4% to a mere 28 point lead? Truly a collapse! 🤣🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Which dispels the frequent claim that the BBC is biased in favour of the tories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

If they're showing insults posted that's not biased in favour of sunak or the tories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wouldn't conflate an obvious mistake with political bias. It was obviously a sloppy / overworked Graphic Designer who effed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think in-house BBC staff can be pretty biased (Laura K, Katya Adler) but they had a show called Years & Years a while back that got a fair few digs in on the Tories and Bojo in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think the conservative party should be thanking their lucky stars to have pulled rishi out the hat when all looked lost for them.

Somehow they finally stumbled on a competent person at least, lack of experience not withstanding. I think the fact that he was willing to acquiesce to Johnson Cummings is actually a strength, I see him delegated heavily to others. If you've ever worked in finance, this is very common, management almost do nothing once they've set up the right structures for self management in their teams and groomed their own replacements.

Having said that I thought Theresa may was decent and she got absolutely shafted, it's a treacherous place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Is he really that competent, or is he just looking competent in comparison to the shower that preceded him? His record as chancellor was, at best, mixed. I really don't know where this reputation of competence is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

True I can't be definite.

I like that he stuck by his guns regarding his financial policies, he did a flake a little under pressure when he was up against truss but it sounds like now that he has the power he will be willing to do unpopular things for the benefit of UK

Everyone tends to believe their national broadcaster,nothing brexity about that.You could say the same about RTE and Tony Connelly(from a British point of view).Adler is an award winning journalist btw

Post edited by FraserburghFreddie on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Except he made a grubby deal with Braverman to get her support and now is forced to lie and deflect to avoid the truth.

Hardly class that as someone that is going to stand up for what's right for the country

That is probably OTT.Personally,I agreed with a fair amount of what he had to say but he also had some scary ideas about how things should be done!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That is probably OTT.

"Probably"? It's absolutely disgraceful and there shouldn't be any doubt in anyone's mind about that.

You're not fooling anyone. I couldn't stand the man at all but I've no issue stating that the BBC were ruthless in demonising him.

• Advertisement

Who exactly do you think I`m trying to fool?You need to understand many British people,including working class labour voters(like me) are patriotic,like the royal family and are proud of our armed forces.That does`nt make them brexity tories-I understand that if you want a UI does`nt mean you`re a shinner type.It`s laziness lumping everyone in the same catagory because you disagree with their view of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Winning awards doesn't mean you can't be biased; it just means she's good at her job.

Her reporting can be quite condescending, if not openly hostile, towards the EU and leaves no doubt which side she's on. She's perfectly entitled to her opinions and just because I don't agree with her doesn't mean I'll discredit any awards she's won.

However, she has her point of view and, given she's the European editor for the BBC, I wouldn't be surprised if her views influence the content of those who report to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

In an episode of "The Wire" the police Lieutenant is explaining to his wife a kind of Catch 22 situation that he's in where he's been set up to fail on a case by his superiors. After hearing the details she tells him:

The game is rigged but you cannot lose if you do not play.

Being PM in post-Brexit UK is a bit like that. They've been handed this massive problem, that is clear and obvious to most sane observers. However everyone must pretend that it isn't a problem and that it's great actually. Spin only works up to a point though and then it's your neck on the line. The only way to ensure you're not a failure as Prime Minister these days is to not become one in the first place.

I live in the UK and have done for over a decade. I've a pretty good knowledge of it at this point. You're talking about points I never made. The image I posted has St. Basil's Cathedral in the background FFS. If that's not inappropriate for the state broadcaster, I honestly do not know what is.

Perhaps having Farage on Question Time every month...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Keep you friends close and your enemies closer. Thatcher did exactly the same when she first got into power. She gave senior positions to a lot of senior Consertives who she disagreed with. Like her or loth her she held power for 11 years but also left her mark on politics whereby there are conservative politicians that hark back to what she did.

Its hard to judge Rishi. But he must be fairly competent to have got where he is after being an MP for only six years.

Yes there is a huge issue with there popularity and if an election was held in the morning and hey lose 60-70% of there seats. But two years is a long time in politics. He has put in place a diverse cabinet. If one particular minister is not happy with the direction the government is taking he can isolate them as they will find it hard to rebel unless there is serious dissatisfaction within the party. They know themselves that they need to compromise if they are to get to the next election and survive as a party. Any time there is a landslide in British elections the losing party was out to for power for ten years plus years.

There is serious mistrust in middle Britian with Labour. Corbyn never tried to appeal to them. The day of trade unions ruling the country is gone. Ya Starmer is not of the same ilk but there is mistrust against him as well. If Sunak can manipulate that he could get the Tories into a position where even if they lost it would not be a complete disaster

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 54,214 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Registered Users Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Advertisement

Rishi Sunak is trusted more than Sir Keir Starmer on the economy and in the role of Prime Minister, new polling has shown, despite the Conservative party still lagging well behind in the polls.

Whilst Labour still have a 23-point advantage, it's noteworthy that the perception of Sunak - at this very early stage - remains strong.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully. Sunak has already signalled that law enforcement must be stamped out of wokeness.

Things are tentatively moving in the right direction, even if early in his administration.

Sunak continuing to back Braverman is spot on.

Though I wasn't a Sunak fan in the late stages of the leadership election, his latest wave of policy decisions are certainly warming to me.

If a week is a long time in politics, what might 2-years of a Sunak administration yield?

Advertisement