Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is my Redemption Arc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Peanut butter biscuits....tell me more!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Peanut butter

Rolled Oats

2-3 ripened bananas mashed

Spoon of brown sugar

Mix in a bowl, form into balls and flatten with back of a fork and in the oven for 15 min. Great for sweet tooth and keeping hunger at bay

Saturday OFF

Sunday OFF

Monday OFF

Bad start to the first week, little lad sent home from creche with a stomach bug Thursday and off for two days as precaution. Bad nigt with teeth meant me and him were up all night so inevitably I caught it from him thankfully non covid but still wiped me.

Starting to come back to myself today so easy back into it. Still a 5 day week which was a high for atleast 6 months so just look at the positive rather than focusing on the set back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sounds tasty, I'll be trying those thanks for sharing the recipe.

It's really tough going with smallies in the house, it can seem never ending especially during the Winter. Not much you can do about it except eat well which I'd say you do, sleep as much as you can and maybe a Vit D supplement to counter the lack of sunlight. Hopefully they'll have a healthy spell for a bit now 🤞

This last year have definitely let things slide and no doubt has impacted the immune system. The second kid only started in creche 3 weeks ago so kinda expected in early stages to be subjected to a bit of an onslaught between sleep seriously impaired (If either wake at night they are my problem haha) as well as him being a lockdown baby,bugs and virus exposure was always gonna come at some point, just hoping that can escape Covid. Managed to keep it out of the house last two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

A variation on something I had tried before with little success with the kids. What peanut butter do you use out of interest?

Aldi have there own brand smooth peanut butter you can get a large tub for around 5e.

Original recipe also included a egg to bind but truth be told the PB used fairly liberally acts as a good binder for the ingredients

Tues - 4 miles easy (8.55 min/m) + 6x15 sec strides off 1 min jog

Wed AM - 5 mile progression - 8.43, 8.05, 7.47, 7.35, 7.25

Bit of a weird one. still not 100% after the dose. Decided to swap out steady run for progression as it was a bit more moderate and take less out of me. Ideally probably could have pushed it a day but have my booster this afternoon so more than likely will be feeling worse tomorrow rather than better. In the end though worked out because felt grand throughout. Paces felt nice and controlled throughout and to be honest nothing more than a solid cruise by the end.

Happy enough to be back on track after minor set back I know progresion won't be linear but going in the right direction.

Thurs - 30 min easy (no watch)

Booster did a bit of a number so did what I could

Friday & Saturday OFF

Sunday 4 miles easy (8.42 min pace

Monday 3 mile recovery (9.17 min pace)

Tuesday OFF

Wednesday OFF

Thursday OFF

Training been a bit of a write off the last while between Christmas, booster, the brother testing positive for Covid ruling out any time for the kids with Grandparents and the youngest getting a bad time of it with teeth it has simple been survival mode this week. Had penciled a park run for the next TT but given recent developments opting out probably try get out early doors or late night just to put down a bench mark for the start of the year and go from there

Belated happy Christmas to those who read hope it was a good one and the new year brings a fresh start

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Happy new year man. I'm in a similar boat. I've found the Christmas very very tough going. It seems to come in waves and never seems to be just one problem at a time. Hang in there.

• Advertisement

Previously would have panicked with the set backs. The way I see it this time around is that I am in better shape than I was in 1st TT 3 weeks ago. I don't expect this comeback to be linear and expect there will be a number of set backs but just trying to keep moving in right direction

Sat

5k Time Trial: 8.04*(4.00,4.04)

Well I definitely jinxed this by saying that I was in better Shape Truth is I do feel in better shape but the little lads teeth causing the lack of sleep ultimatly immunes systems down and he got a dose which he kindly passed around. A couple of nights on couch with a 1 year old coughing in your face will destroy the most resilient of people. Never developed to more than congestion really and HR seemed okay but between that and sleep I think I was just wound up. Realistically I think I gave up mentally with TT long before physical head just wasn't there so a big fat fail

Sunday OFF

Literally had the keys in hand when the little lad screamed out which nixxed late night run and hope for a 2022 run streak

Mon - 5 miles recovery (9.17 min pace)

Tuesday 5.8 miles easy including 4x15 sec strides

Wednesday 5 mile progression (8.39, 8.12, 8.04, 7.51, 7.32)

Been in a routine of getting this in between the late night wake ups this week even if it meant frosty enough conditions A bit of reflection time in appreciating the estate I am living in and from training perspective. 2 mile loop, a 1 mile flat smaller lap, fully lit, approx 800m hill and little to no traffic what more could I ask for in terms of actually making the best of my surroundings.

Finished up the progression run feeling fairly controlled coming by the only person I ever see on these runs; little old lady who is always out walking her dog in a pram at this time an oddity till I had the self realization that the woman out walking her dog presumably has the same preconceptions about my madness being out at that late hour roaming the streets alone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

If the rowing is loosening out your legs and you are rowing at 34spm then you are risking a back injury that will impact your comeback. Rowing can add to running as XT and a mate of mine (1:13 HM) did a weekly 10k on it. You probably know the benefits yourself. So worth some technique pointers. Rowing is more legs than anything! I find this lad a bit better than the US versions of same. He does Form Check Fridays which goes into technique

Cheers M

Will definitely take a look at that admittedly my form no doubt could do with work, based on memory of a crash course from a couple of rowers years back.

Given there have been many a nights in the couch with the young lad between teeth and sickness probably no harm in not being complacent about the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Enjoying reading the log so far - I would really love to show it to some buddies who mark runs as easy because it was their easy pace when they ran a pb 5 years ago but are clearly struggling with high heart rate etc . I think maybe in years gone by you maybe one of the posters who’s posts inspired me to look at my own easy paces - not sure though with all the name changes .

Best of luck with the redemption arc and the log .

I think the thing that really drove this home for me was one of my coaches as a teenager. Used to do the odd run with him and occasionally he would ask if we could dial back the pace on recovery runs etc (was running in the 7 mid min range) Initially I thought he was trying to be nice till I bought into it and saw the results. He was a 2.16 marathoner at the time and helped highlight there is little room for ego in training

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I was off for 2 years + myself: zero running + 4 stone etc. etc.

As you will have all the muscle memory, developed capillaries and all that stuff you will get back relatively quickly.

My advice would be to go through a short middle distance type training block. All phases but compressed.

The thinking would be that you don't want to go through a long endurance build up as youre adding even more time since you ran those faster paces. Also, a big endurance build up takes time that may be scarce right now.

Such a MD block would get you to utilize ALL the muscle you have trained previously. Faster running may be the best way to do that. 10 weeks from now 1500 or 3000 TT.

You could go slightly heavier on the base but after the 10 weeks, you will have a lot more muscle to give endurance to.

I have experience of training with a very young infant (2nd child) on the scene. Less sleep allows you to only give so much energy to running per day. That can work out well once you work with it. Identify the amount of energy you have available and train within that. If you build conservatively you will be able to do quite a lot of work (I got my 10k pb with this method at that time). Just very slowly increment the workload so you don't notice any increase in the amount of energy required to do the training: that means you're stronger.

"Milo of Croton" is worth a google.

Definitely on the same wavelength.

Currently I am simply just trying to establish routine and get back in the habit of running. As such base/fundamental phase is simply about running (albeit within myself so that illness/injury/ motivational waning aren’t an issue.

I think overall the first half of this year will probably target 1500/5000. I think the training associated with that is less time consuming (with lack of sleep and kids commitments playing a role I know aiming too high will lead to a boom/ bust cycle) The other side of it is that that sort of training was what I grew up on and 1500 was an event that I could hold my own in even when marathon training. While I was never graced with blistering speed I could normally rattle out a low 4.20 at some point most years.

I think you hit nail on the head though regarding incremental, in no rush and happy to build up modestly this year so definitely won’t be trying to smash it out of the park any time soon but simply build running back up into part of my life with the time available for it

The Milo of Croton reference appeals to the classics degree in me as well as the premise it’s one I have heard plenty of times in the past.

Thursday 5.6 miles (8.35 min pace) including 4x15 sec strides

Friday 4.4 mile recovery (9.09 min pace)

Saturday 1 mile easy 4 steady (7.31, 7.28, 7.30,7.27) 1 mile easy

Sunday 8 miles easy (8.37 min pace)

Total Weekly Mileage: 39.8

Finally starting to get a bit of traction with getting out every day. Sleep continues to be an issue but with current Mon/Fri recovery run days it takes a bit of pressure off. More interested in just running now rather than anything else. Saturdays steady run was quiet controlled given the pace temptation to push it but to be honest still a decent bit of running even if I was within myself

Sunday hit a few milestones, first 30+ mile week that I can remember in a very long time, first 7 day running week and first run +60 minutes,

Hoping this week to add back in a bit of supplementary while maintaining this running streak

Overall very happy with that and hoping I can keep that rolling for a few more weeks. Plan is to set a few minor modest targets for the rest of the month just as a way of tracking progress

January Targets

Mileage: 150 miles in January (currently 42.5)

Days run: 27 (currently 9/10)

Consecutive days run: 21 (currently 7)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Happy to be able to “stalk” your progress again! 🙂 may the force stay with you and your joy for running/training/coaching reenergise! And who knows at some point we may end up to finally get jog together (Leixlip still isn’t that far away 😂)

if you ever need someone to pace you on a TT let me know! Happy to do so for as long as I’m still ahead of you 😎😁.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the dark side 😁

Had to do a double take when I saw that username.

Good to see you around this place another experienced poster contributing around here. Can only be a good thing and add to the place

I know we have said about a catch up and hasn’t happened but definitely some time soon. Not a fear of me being close enough to scare you any time soon. Can’t even sabotage you to give me a chance to catch up these days 😂

Haha. The dark side I will join (hopefully) in 4 weeks time 😁. But as for this part here, I’m all about learning. Good to see you back in action though. Give yourself 8 years to slowly build up and you will rock the M2 category! That’s something to aim for! 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'm amazed he hasn't mentioned Hoka anywhere ;)

Pretty sure I know more about the Hoka shoes from him than from watching the NAZ Elite videos haha

Mon - 4.2 mile recovery (9.29 min pace) + 10 min yoga

Tues - 5.4 mile easy (8.25 min pace) including 6 x 15 sec strides (60 jog)

Wed - 6 mile progression (8.25, 7.55, 7.35, 7.30, 7.11, 6.46)

Thurs - 6.1 easy (8.18 min pace) including 7x15 sec strides (60 jog)

A definite jump this week easy paces coming down at the same effort. The progression highlighting this however there is a bit of a caveat in that paces are fine as long as they are done on flat once any incline comes into play (or wind) then effort shoots up. A definite reminder that the watch won't tell the full story and still alot of work to do aerobically even when I do start seeing more familiar paces translating to effort.

This week has been a very emotive time for a lot of people and a stark reminder to be sensible and cautious out running. It was only last week I was on a night run and took a chance to go down onto canal despite being dark. Looking back it was sheer stupidity but complacency does kick in. The narratives tend to bring out the worst in people on both sides of discussion unfortunately so despite usually being quite a vocal and opinionated person I I thought it best to keep well out of it. A young woman lost her life and family lost their daughter to senseless violence that shouldn't get lost in everything and deepest condolences to everyone whose life she touched.

Violent criminals need to be punished to the fullest extent of the law (and that judicial process needs to be reviewed in regards to leniency of terms for many crimes in this country) no matter who the victim is. The aim should be about making all people safe (and yes that statistically means from men)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Yes but mentioning hoka wouldn’t have contributed anything to this thread. 😉 but now that you mentioned it: can’t wait to use the x2 on Sunday on its maiden run (to get a feel for them for race day) 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's how it starts....soon you'll be training in them every week 😆

Stay slow like me and you will never have to worry about it :p

Friday/Saturday/Sunday - Zilch

Streak was broken following 2 days in Crumlin with the youngest. Nasty tonsil infection had him kept in under observation but thankfully they were happy with progress and discharged him. Between about 3 hours sleep and working from the hospital was completely wiped myself. Had great intentions of getting out for a long run session last night after work but fell asleep on the couch after dinner. Would have been nice to keep the streak going but in the grand scheme of things the main thing was making sure little lad was okay.

We start the week anew and go again....

• Advertisement

For a slow runner like you the Bondi x is a good option 😁. Extremely expensive without any real benefit.

hope all is good now?! Nothing more important than health! Running can wait!

@Swashbuckler you should know me by now. If I say I won’t, I won’t 😁. I don’t like the comfortable way. Even todays recovery run been done on a stiff, uncushioned flat (which I did regret 3k in 😂).

Advertisement