Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a school car park open to public?

• 09-12-2021 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

There are two different schools side by side . The one my kids go to is massive and if you drive into that car park you get caught in traffic jam for 10mins so I avoid . I drop my kids off at the entrance to that school and carry on down and do a loop following the arrows in the nearby school and return home.

This morning a teacher was at the entrance waving at me to go back as I went to enter. I had assumed there was an issue in the car park due to the storm so reversed back and did a 3 point turn and exited . I witnessed other cars entering no problems after I left. The penny dropped then that she was stopping me and I assume other people from entering that hadn’t kids in that school . The car park is virtually empty at that time as that school starts 20mins later so don’t know what her issue is. I was merely driving in to turn and not parking up.

Has she any right to stop me driving in? It is a public school so a public car park I am thinking . I want to have my facts straight before I end up having words with her.

I’m very cross over this so any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

The school own the car park and can restrict access. It is not a public car park. To be honest I am a little surprised you believed you have the right bor entry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

"Has she any right to stop me driving in? It is a public school so a public car park I am thinking"

Your thinking is incorrect.

It may be a "public school" (but it's private property), that does not give the public any right of entry to the premises or it's grounds, the school have the right to restrict and control access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The school doesn't want their car park to be used as a rat run for parents in other schools to avoid traffic

It's completely understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aleppo_rex

Private property. You obviously do it frequently and it's been noted.

The fact you posted on this forum asking if they have the right to stop you entering made me laugh out loud.

The entitlement of some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Its 100% private property and you have no right to drive passed the main gates into it!

I see it everyday in my school and its a complete pain for staff and pupils !

If every parent took your attitude it would be chaos on the grounds and also highly dangerous !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭indenial

I thought it being public meant it was open to the public to at least drive into.

Fair enough , saved me having an argument where I’m in the wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Wouldn't be ideal for a school to allow any random in unrestricted, especially in a car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I’d imagine that there are insurance issues with private property being used by someone who doesn’t have a right/is not invited to be there.

Advertisement