Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi hotspot won’t work on my phone

Options
  • 09-12-2021 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I recently changed my phone provider from 3 to An post mobile.I was always able to use my phone as a Wifi hotspot when I was with 3.I am using a Samsung A40 phone. The SIM card will allow tethering if I use the card in another phone.I am told that it is something to do with the settings on my phone that is blocking the internet access on the connected devices.An post mobile told me that they allow tethering and that it is an issue with Samsung phones.Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Is it just not turning ON or not able to connect or connecting but no internet?

Have Samsung S5 with failed network card - either WiFi nor hotspot aren't working - icon dimmed(not fully OFF, but not fully ON). It helped twice after resetting network settings on it - no longer, eating dust now.

If able to connect but no internet, try set static DNS on connecting devise(laptop, PC, etc) to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭edward901

The hotshot is turning on and making the connection. I have tried the settings you have suggested but still no luck.

Lets pick up one device, laptop or PC, what IP you get once connected to phone in hotspot mode? Any error messages/notifications?

The IP address is 192.168.196.52 No errors or anything

I would try network reset on the phone. This will wipe all/any stored wifi passwords along.

• Advertisement

Have tried a network reset on the phone but still no joy.Have reconfigured the phone to the An post mobile network.Internet works fine on the phone but won’t do tethering.

Weird thing.

Is phone originating from three (official unlock?) or is it SIM free?

BT tethering or USB tethering working ?

Request config file to be forwarded to you from An Post rather manual setup and apply it

Reset phone to factory defaults is option? (have unlock code if applicable)

The phone came originally from 3.The 3 logo still appears when I start it up.Had to get the unlocking code in order to be able to use it on the An post mobile network.I have requested the configuration settings from An post which I have installed.I don’t think the BT or USB tethering are working. The option is there but not highlighted.

Can you test it? You need to connect your phone by USB cable and enable that option on the phone, similar for BT

Does your WiFi connection on the phone working? Are you able to connect to your home(other) WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Post screenshots of your APN settings.

• Advertisement

The Wifi is working fine on the phone.I have no problem connecting to the home Wifi.I don’t know how to send a screenshot of the APN settings.They are the ones that An post mobile sent to my phone.I have given up on this problem at this stage.Thank you for your interest and suggestions.

Advertisement