Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My thoughts in relation to that man are unprintable, but it's laughable to suggest that he's a victim somehow. He opens his mouth, spouts racist bilge, makes himself look a complete fool and we're somehow supposed to feel sorry for him? He doesn't get half of what he deserves tbh.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is there a website that shows the results for each ward count by count?

I cannot find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,820 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Nigeria is many times larger than Ireland. It is entirely possible to find refuge within the borders of a large country without accessing the social welfare system of another country…battered wives and those involved in family fueds, for exmaple, do it regularly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

RTE are only showing the first count. Transfers are the most interesting part of the whole circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

RTE never extend to analysis of transfers for the local elections.

Unfortunately, they are not updated with any speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Check twitter for indivual county council feeds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Greengrass53

. Would you like to live there? Lots of these unfortunates are living and working here. Don't come up with the usual tropes about social welfare etc.Have a bit of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭yagan

Now ffg feel emboldened again after those results I reckon they'll actually tear strips off each other in a GE in belief that either party would be the main party with a third party as mudguard.

It could backfire on them if they voters towards a centre left coalition that excludes ffg.

Leo varadkar was actually sf best asset for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are you referring to the two who had a go at their Green party coalition colleagues, Lisa Chamber and Regina Doherty? It's a competition between the two as to which is, the Liz Truss of Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It will be interesting to see if there is any repercussions in the Greens after losing their two MEPs which now looks likely and a bit of a pasting in the LE's. I know Ryan has talked up their performance but it was pretty dismal.
    Will internal recriminations kick off again and destabilise the coalition?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The party with the biggest questions to answer is Sinn Fein, of that there is no doubt.

The Greens have outperformed expectations. Not so long ago, the "experts" on here were predicting zero Green seats after the general election. They look certain to hold three or four, that maybe enough to go back into government, on the back of the improved performances of FF and FG. If you look at the government parties, they had nearly 50% between them, which would be enough to win another term. Furthermore, the influence the Greens have had on this government has been huge, and a lot of that progress can't be reversed.

For Sinn Fein, it is looking like another five years in the wilderness with a distinct lack of talent in the ranks. Already, the likes of Labour and the SDs appear to have recruited some excellent councillors and are ready to challenge SF more closely.

Dark days ahead for Sinn Fein unless they can come up with some bright ideas that convince the electorate.

The Greens have outperformed expectations.

Maybe their own expectations. But losing their MEP's and halving their LE vote is a pretty poor performance.
    SF already have faced up to it being a bad day for them and they are not coalition junior partners.

I'm specifically interested in the Greens internal workings here. As we know internal wrangling was simmering fairly hotly at the outset of the coalition, could it return now?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They far exceeded your expectations for them - you saw them being wiped out. It was a great performance by your expectations.

Now you are desperate for some internal disruption to cause trouble for the coalition. Dream on.

As for Sinn Fein, they have faced up to nothing, all their spokespersons talking about "change" again. Change was the issue of the 2020 election, things have moved on, we have seen Brexit, we have seen Covid, the issue in the next election will be who will you trust to manage the country, "change" as a mantra is dead in the water, but Sinn Fein are still flogging that dead duck. Spinning that they have faced up to it being a bad day for them is foolish at best.

you saw them being wiped out

In a GE I said they would be decimated like many many junior partners before them I made no prediction about the Green performance in this election. If I did, link to it.

Plenty of threads discussing SF.
    I asked a question of others here about the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Bredabe

This has begged for since I first heard it, I feel I must be missing something but can't see what.

Local FG cllr signed to revoke the anti-eviction order saying they were doing it as, not signing it would make more not fewer ppl homeless.

Now we are at an all-time high in homelessness, it seems not to have worked, but I can't see what the logic was in saying it at all is?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The greens are happy to ebb and flow and be in government whenever possible. The greens have no (realistic) plans to be a major party in government, if they're successful, their policies are adopted by others.

Europe is backing away from green policies at the moment so Ireland is a bit of an outlier there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

you would imagine SF best tactic over these days is to own the mess of an election and tell their supporters and general public that they wil spend some time navel gazing and rooting through the dbris and come out stronger etc etc. instead Boylan got peevish and kept repeating that they had got more seats than last time. they look and sound for all intents and purposes like an aged sportsperson thats haggered and worn out, same faces , same aul passive agrression at being called out. they sund tired, id say pearse and mary lou will get hard to resurrect themselves for GE. MLMD i think will start looking for the exit package after GE. They also seem to be stuck now for a cause to fight against, the watery reposnse to a united ireland by the general public in the south dosent help them either, Brexit done, stormont back and a good chance housing begins to flow more as well now, also FG going in hard on immigration with simon harris is taking that thunder off them even though they werent sure what way their wind was blowing on that. Next government FG/FF/GR/INds , i predict a mid october election maybe 3rd friday. it gives 3 weeks of usually decent weather in early to mid october and still bright til 7-7:30pm. any later then id leave til mid march

You obviously missed the bit where she said it wasn’t the day SF would have wanted and a review will be held. If yoy are just going to cherrypick what suits you it is pointless listening to anyone.

How is the greens losing seat defying expectations?

If their expectation is self destruction they could very well do a 2011 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It wasn't a great election for the Greens but it was never likely to be given their status as the minor party in government. If we look at some examples from the past:

• Greens in the 2009 locals: Went from 15 seats → 3 (FPV 3.9% → 2.3%)
    • Labour in the 2014 locals: Went from 132 seats → 51 (FPV 14.7% → 7.1%)

Greens in this election went from 49 seats → 23 (FPV 5.7% → 3.6%)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Madeoface

I see one of the bottom feeders on the right said 'the revolution has begun'.

With 4 out of 949 seats?

Only issue here is that SF will have to pivot right to reabsorb the gonks that voted these people in.

I don't see it playing out that way.

I think it's FG who's been leading to the charge to meet the far rights demands with border checks and repeated tent removals etc… McEntee is as vacuous and craven to play up security for votes as an English Tory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Much as their haters would love it to happen I can't see the Greens being wiped out again. Their base of support is higher now than it was back in 2011. They'll lose all of the floating vote that they picked up in 2020 and it will lead to the loss of most of their seats but they'll still be strong in their South Dublin heartland.

In particular Dublin-Rathdown is increasing from a 3 seater to a 4-seater so Catherin Martin will be nailed on to retain her seat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Which ultimately, you'd like to hope, is what'll head off any further rise of the Far Right: centrist parties will naturally twist towards stricter migration policies, as they would any other topic floating in the political zeitgeist; even if it's utterly performative it has potential to satisfy the casually antagonistic voters out there, those happy to keep giving the mainstream parties their vote, as long as they're seen to do "something" about the issue.

• Advertisement

Has to be a massive slap in the face, I'm sure they can explain away their decimation in the LE's with some of their 'we know best' haughtiness but losing their MEPs is a disaster.
    A tetchy exchange between a Green and a FFer (I think) on Claire Byrne this morning doesn't augur well.

Advertisement