Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window.

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This is only his 3rd full season with them, and 2 of those 3 seasons he's been very good.

Sure, it's not an absolute total success of a move, in that it would've been lovely if he arrived at 21 and starting banging in premier league goals immediately, but all in all it's been a good transfer. As a youth buy, he's developed pretty much as they'd have hoped. Doesn't feel like one that can reasonably be used to knock their transfer policy (plenty of others to do that with!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just listening to Football Weekly and they are saying Ramsey has made 50m so far from his move to Juve and Juve are covering most of his 400k a week wages for the loan move.

Since Juve is a public company his wages are public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

That's why we are seeing more players trying to run down contracts and signing as a free agent rather than being transferred. The power has shifted too far the other way at the top end and it really makes the new generation of superstars unlikeable.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Unlikeable? I dunno about that, far far further removed from fans perhaps, but I don't know about unlikeable, that depends on the player IMHO and how they behave.

If anyone, in this case a player, signs a contract for say 5 years, fulfils that by working hard for the club and not acting the boll1x, then why can anyone complain? They are fulfilling their side of the bargain, perhaps clubs and by extension fans need to recalibrate their expectations of what a contract means. It happens in lots of sports, eg USA Major League clubs of all sports, Rugby etc, but in soccer 'running a contract down ' as it is termed is a no-no..... Shouldn't be that way. Might mean the end of the humongous transfer fees, but they mean Fvck all in the real world anyway, a massive Ponzi scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

You do know that fans up and down the country will jump on the "fulfils that by working hard for the club" piece, and be able to give examples of players that clearly have not. The reason players like N'Golo Kante stand out is because they do that. I could give you a myriad of players who clearly don't and that's what drives the fans mad.

Yes, there are plenty of examples as you say, but there are also examples like Wijnaldum at Liverpool who saw out his contract to the end and walked away with a thank you, because he was treated and behaved like an adult. Rather then the exception, this type of thing should be the norm. Instead, what normally happens is there is a war of wills between the club and the Player, where he is frozen out or isolated as the club try to get him to sign a new contract to protect their 'asset'. The power balance has changed surely, but before the Bosman ruling clubs often literally ostricised players and ruined their careers when they wouldn't sign contracts.

Needs a more mature attitude from both sides really.

Players running down their contract isn't what makes them unlikable. Players not trying is what makes them unlikable. There's nothing wrong with players fulfilling their contract in full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There was that player at Bournemouth a couple seasons ago too who wouldn't player after the pandemic break because he was leaving for a new contract. Refused to play in case he got injured and wrecked his chance of a big pay day. Wouldn't help his teammates in a relegation battle. Real selfish.

That was Ryan Fraser.

I agree, but the original point was made about players running down their contracts, rather than players not trying.

Not trying is obviously wrong, it does happen, but it happens at different times in the contract cycle, and for all different reason. Clubs acting the clown also happens too, witness Man United with Lingard recently, wouldn't let him leave, and now (allegedly) pushing him away from the 1st team.

Yup, my post was supporting yours in answer to the other chap saying that players running down contracts was making them dislikable.

I agree with you that it's not the act of running down the contract that makes anyone dislikable, it's of some players putting in less effort (unlike, as you said, Wijnaldum, or also Emre Can).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Ryan was also the player who refused to ply for Scotland in Kazakhstan over the artificial surface on the chosen pitch.

He will be playing ball longer than Stanley Matthews did.

Indeed football is a short career and one of the main regrets many ex pros have is that they didn't look after themselves better with injuries or weren't more selfish when it came to contracts etc so I can see why he did it though if I were a Bournemouth fan I'd hate him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ryan Fraser - Liverpool had shown interest in him previously and he was also linked with Tottenham before the break in the Premier League. He ended up at Newcastle and has hardly be heard of since. He also has a history of declaring himself unfit for Scotland games.

At the end of the 2016/17 season Charlie Taylor refused to play for Leeds because he didn't want to risk getting injured before he left the club on a free transfer.

Sule leaving Munich on a free and it looks like he has signed a pre-contract with an unnamed team.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Chelsea maybe to replace rudiger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Christensens contract also running out so I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Newcastle offering him big money either.

Impressive signing for BVB.

Nice to see a player in his prime go the other way in germany for a change.

Advertisement