Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 Round 22 Abu Dhabi GP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

What do we think that the FIA should do if Perez takes out Hamilton or Bottas takes out Verstappen?

Of course, Hamilton or Verstappen will argue it's not their fault that their team-mate took the other one out, but it would be a very, very dirty way to win a title.

Personally I'd disqualify the constructor from the constructors championship and disqualify the driver from the drivers championship, so they had 0 points, but even then it's still not fair on the person who got took out.

The FIA should come out and almost say that today to discourage any dirty racing of that type or using a team mate as an accessory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ban said driver from competing in F1 in 2022. If that happened they'd never drive in Formula1 ever again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Yes, but that driver would argue that it was not done on purpose and instead was a 'bad decision' or a 'bad piece of driving' or an 'error of judgement' rather than being deliberate.

But in my view any team or driver that resorts to that or anyone who is involved in designing such a tactic, should receive a ban. I would include Team Principals in that as well as drivers if they were actively involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

That won't happen a driver may take it on himself to take out an opponent to win but why would a team mate do that for the benefit of a competitor? What would they gain ? F1 has a small pool of drivers if you loose your integrity getting another job would be very difficult. F1 is a small world.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

I didn't mention anything about the rear wing.

I responded to your post where you were trying to equate pace in the daylight practice 3 session to qualy and the race at sunset....

It's practice, the laptimes you are reading into are almost meaningless. There is no way of comparing the cars as we have no idea what fuel load they are running etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Yeah but they still try and set representative times, you would imagine they have their long runs etc done by now and at this point they are looking at individual laps because that's what is next, hence cooldowns and tyre changes. Conditions are the same for everyone during these sessions.

A pace advantage is a pace advantage, we know the Merc has one. He was 1.5 ahead at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,394 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Lads , how great is Drive to Survive going to be on Netflix !!!!

This race, the last race, the penalties!!

Imagine the carry on behind the scenes in Red Bull and Mercedes !! Toto, Max, Horner !! It will be riveting

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

What did the FIA do when Hamilton took out Verstappen at Silverstone???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

And how far ahead was he at the end??

As I said reading into practice times, especially in the middle of sessions when drivers are obviously on different strategies and tyres (as they were when you made the comment about the race basically being a foregone conclusion) means absolutely nothing.

Of all the races AD is the hardest to call from practice times, seeing as only FP2 takes place with the same track characteristics as qualy and the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It’s easy to tell from the cars telemetry if something was done on purpose or not. Look at Max’s braking last weekend. If team principals were proven to have given such an order they would be banned. Flavio got banned after crashgate in 2008 and that’s basically what happened. There might be a crash but I don’t think we’ll see anyone getting taken out on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yep, team ban sounds about right(or even massive points deduction). The FIA should be stressing that they want this tournament won on the track.

However, they should be stressing that every race is won on track. The dumpster fire that has been F1 discourse this season hasn't been helped by the fact that drivers causing DNFs haven't really been punished or have benefitted from them. You should never be able to benefit from causing a DNF. I think these incidents can be cut out with points deductions on par with the position of the driver you have been judged by the stewards to have caused to DNF(cause DNF of 1st place car, maximum penalty of 25 points so guaranteed to finish on zero, DNF to second maximum penalty of 18 points etc, DNF to 11-20 grid penalty for the next race).

It would stop this but Silverstone but Monza but Hungary etc as mostly drivers will have earned their points by racing.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He was 0.2 behind at the end when Hamilton backed out three times and had a flat spot. That Merc can go faster. The RB is on its limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Don’t make me laugh, Hamilton knew exactly what he was doing. If it was ok to take another driver out then i don’t see why it won’t be ok to do it tomorrow. I’ve no doubt Hamilton would take Verstappen out again tomorrow if he had more race wins now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

By extension and your logic, Max has taken out Hamilton at Monza and would do again if he had more race wins.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Haha, ok.

Thankfully Hamilton has a cooler head or this championship might have been over by now thanks to Max’s erratic driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have a feeling this is going to be very anti-climatic and Hamilton will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Yeah, failing something ridiculous, it's hard to look beyond Lewis winning this weekend and getting the 8th title.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Was the Hamilton and Mazepin incident from FP3 investigated at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

so hamilton seems to be able to dawdle on the racing line at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Regardless of what happens between Hamilton and Max, I would love to see Bottas come first as a 2 finger salute to Mercedes (so so unlikely to happen I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Perez needs to be get the finger out in both qualifying today and the race tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Here we go Max, ALL of Boards are up for you! Bring it home!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Zen ? Just say calm Simon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Did I hear right that the wing on his car now he has not had until this point? Don't think that bodes well.

Red bull pushing downforce on the car, could shred their tyres.

Also, that pit exit is insanely long

That seems like an awful amount of sparks coming from that car.

Verstappen on a flying lap, they decide to show Hamilton driving down the pit exit.

Track limits are all four wheels over the white line at 7 15 and 16.

• Advertisement

4 tenths faster..... jesus

Advertisement