Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 Round 22 Abu Dhabi GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Tippex

I really do see him tripping over someone or someone tripping over him and max driving away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭lolie

Perez losing out by 0.016 to Norris will be a big relief to Hamilton.

Possible penalty to one of the Red Bull drivers for holding up Norris in Q3? Hopefully not.

Nice one. :P TBH I think it Red Bull's better chance, step softer on the tyres and an extra stop. Hope to either be able to push Merc harder than they'd like or get a bit of luck with a safety car or VSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Looking forward to the race tomorrow, Max’s softs won’t last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Nice interview from Lewis - until he said the bit about at least he can see where Max is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Lando on the softs surely he will be putting it to Lewis at the start despite his comments there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Going to be a boring race tomorrow from Hamilton with not being able to overtake any cars.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Extremely likely someone hits that wall near the end of the track... red flag situation if it happens.

The Constructors is an outside chance too if Bottas struggles which looks likely.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

So I assume that since Hamilton is blind, he will put safety first and not drive a very fast car tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I take it you didn’t watch the F2 earlier. Decent amount of overtakes there.

Hopefully we’ll see some crashing at the start. Spice it up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭BikeRacer

I doubt it tbh, I'd imagine every driver outside of Merc and Red bull will be told to give them each a wide birth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Best oscar for dying swan goes to Red Bull.

And with all the information so far, makes sense for them to go for the softs. Degradation was minimal in F2 races, as was overtaking :( so with soft or medium their strategy would have been if they win the start: Stay ahead of Lewis and pit at the first opportunity for hards to finish the race on. Mercedes will go long and try to get the tyre advantage in at the end of the race.

If they loose the start, pit as soon as a window opens for hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Perez needs to take Norris first up tomorrow if Lando is any way hesitant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Delighted for Max, great drive.

Typical comment from Hamilton- I've such a dislike for him.

Sets it up perfectly for the race tomorrow.

Can't find Channel 4 HD anywhere on Sky Ireland, even the manual tuning only throws up SD versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I think it's always been hd on sky. its freesat they fell out with so it disappeared off the epg. you could always tune it in manually. sorry should have made that clearer !

your channel4 should be hd already I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Stop will ye, completely against the run of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What a lap from Max, he was even faster on his second without the tow.

nicely poised for a tense race tomorrow. No clue who it could play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

The Red Bull strategies have been excellent this season, crafty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's going to be a cat and mouse game for the pit stops, obviously Red Bull have to bring in Max first once those softs start falling away but then what? Norris, after falling way off the radar since Russia will be keen to defend his podium so unless Perez can get him off the line or within the first few opening laps he'll have to second guess the undercut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

All down to the tyre strategy and Mercedes have the edge there I think starting on mediums. Although the first few laps will be uncomfortable for Hamilton surrounded by soft starters I think he'll come through in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The more I think about it, the more I think RB were always going soft from the start. I know sky and Horner himself said it’s not ideal but they can’t match Merc on the same strategy so have they played the last card on the season and will it work? We’re gonna find out soon! The most anticipated first corner in 13 years maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭McFly85

RB playing for a 2 stopper from the start. I think I saw Max has no mediums left so Soft/Hard/Soft it is.

The start will be absolutely crucial. Perez could do with getting in the mix. Lando could be great help to Lewis.

At least it’s set up to be an actual race, and not just one driver spinning off and managing tires for a couple of hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ricimaki

If Perez can get a good start and keep his tires alive, he can put some pressure on Hamilton during the stops. I can't see Bottas getting close enough come pit-stop time to make an impact.

Hamilton being surrounded by soft tire starters will put some pressure on him for the first lap or two. I can't see Norris being content following him if he's faster at the start.

Norris might have a chance at a win here, knowing that the front 2 will have their elbows out for the majority of the race. Keeping Perez behind might be a challenge, but you never know...

For the constructors, both Red bull and McLaren have chances to gain a position. I doubt Alpha Tauri can catch up with Alpine, but Yuki was flying in Qualifying

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Bottas is well positioned for some Hungary style bowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Verstappen will be looking to take out Hamilton at the first corner if he's any way alongside.

Hamilton can't hold off too much at the first corner because he risks losing 2nd to Norris.

Perez to insert himself half a metre into Hamilton's gearbox and get a 3 year contract extension with RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

If they could have known he would start on pole, there’s no way they’d have started him on softs. By far the biggest advantage of softs is speed off the start, which he doesn’t need from P1.

Unless Verstappen can distance himself from Hamilton, RB will be second-guessing Mercedes for the first stint: pit too early and Hamilton will go long, wait too long and Hamilton will undercut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Pleasantly surprised with quali. Max on pole which surprised me and great stint from Lando.

Advertisement