Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treadmill question

• 10-12-2021 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I am a consistently average runner. I have done HM in the past but those days are kinda gone now. I am happy to do just 2-3 runs a week to maintain weight and for my head. Last month or two I just couldn’t be bothered and blamed the dark nights and cold which never annoyed me in the past. I’d still try to out once or twice a week but only 5ks or so.

i decided to get a treadmill on a whim (just a starter one for 500 euro). I don’t know why but I am finding it way harder than road running which I’ve been doing for ten years. I used to do 5k in around 28-30 mins (not great I know) and on the treadmill, according to my Apple Watch, I’m doing 4K in 27 minutes. But I’m finding it way harder.. doesn’t make sense to me! And if I crank up the speed the Apple Watch doesn’t seem to pick up the pace. My heart rate is way higher than running on the road as well so I’m making more of an effort but not sure what’s going on!

having the buyers remorse now. Not sure if it was worth it but I have ran two nights in a row since I got it so at least I’m moving about! I’ll be back out once the evenings get brighter and not afraid of getting attacked lol

any advice? I just want to run 5 x a week and lose a bit of weight that’s been clinging onto me for awhile!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FinnC

Apple Watch is watch is in no way measuring accurately. No watch will measure accurately on a treadmill. In fact most treadmills are inaccurate anyway and one of the cheaper ones like you have will definitely be inaccurate.

Treadmills though can be a great tool. My advice would be to forget about what the treadmill display says and definitely forget about what your Apple Watch says and run by effort and time. I’ve a treadmill costing a lot more than yours and I usually ignore the display.

So run say for 30mins at an effort that feels like when you run outside. As you get fitter go for longer or faster or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Sell it and go back on the roads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I find it way harder to run on the treadmill at a pace I'd easily do on the roads, yet my HR effort level shows very low. Its a completely different skill, but despite that I just count it as vaguely useful training times where I'd otherwise be sat around doing nothing waiting for the kid to do their swimming lessons etc so better than nothing.

Wouldn't worry too much about what distance and pace it's claiming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I’m not selling something I just got! Gotta give it a chance. I’ve been running roads for ten years - I know the benefits but this year I just couldn’t face it for whatever reason!

think I’ll stick to it for now and hopefully I’ll get the buzz to get back out when I’m off over Xmas. WFH definitely helped that but now that I’m back in the office I’m just pooped after work and can’t face the night runs (also.. lots of dodgy people around these days which is neither here nor there!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Also, yeah, I think I’ll stick to time, FinnC. Plan on getting a 10k done sometime next year and will get back on the roads when I can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

My treadmill distance doesn't match up either on my garmin. Even when using a footpod it was still out each KM.

+1 to just going by time and effort (HR). I just stick on netflix and keep it simple which works for me when the motivation is low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

If you have the time or the interest!

https://fellrnr.com/wiki/Treadmill_Calibration

Advertisement