Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How-To: Replacing Vodafone Gigabox FTTH router with Mikrotik (RouterOS) device

Options
  • 11-12-2021 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all, this is my first post on boards.ie so be gentle 😊

I replaced my Vodafone Gigabox router with powerful Mikrotik RB5009 (don't worry, I have a separate Wi-Fi access point for wireless devices) so I decided to share this guide as it should apply to all Mikrotik products running the RouterOS.

Let's get started.

Presumig you have your Mikrotik router in default factory settings and connected to a laptop/desktop via ethernet cable.

STEP 1: Disconnect the Vodafone Gigabox router and replace it with your Mikrotik device. Make sure that the network cable from the small white box on the wall (Huawei ONT usually) connects into the first port (usually called eth0, eth1 or wan etc.) of the Mikrotik device.

STEP 2: Download WinBox: mikrotik.com/download (yes, I know it can be done through the web interface or Android app as well)

STEP 3: Launch WinBox and connect to your Mikrotik device to be configured. By default, the password is usually blank.

STEP 4: On the menu to the left choose "Quick Set". I have highlighted the most important settings to get Internet running.

• Mode: Router
    • Internet Port: Eth1 (must match the port where you connected the cable in STEP 1)
    • Address Acquisition: PPPoE
    • PPPoE User: SERIALNUMBER@vfieftth.ie (get the serial number from under your Vodafone Gigabox) (1)
    • PPPoE Password: broadband
    • MAC address: This is optional but you can get the MAC address from under your Vodafone Gigabox and enter it there (2)
    • "Apply" and "OK". First part is done.

STEP 5: On the menu to the left choose "Interfaces". Choose the "VLAN" tab and click on the plus sign to add new.

STEP 6: Under the "General" tab:

• VLAN ID: 10
    • Interface: ether1 (the same port where you connected the cable in STEP 1)
    • "Apply" and "OK". Second part is done.

STEP 7: On the menu to the left choose "Interfaces". Choose the "Interface" tab and double-click on the PPPoE row.

STEP 8: On the "General" tab...

• Name: pppoe-out1 (the one we created in STEP 4)
    • Interfaces: vlan1 (that's the one we created in STEP 6)
    • "Apply" and "OK". Last part is done.

Alright, if all was done correctly you should have Internet connection up and running now! Let't test the speeds!

Excellent!

Post edited by SKG on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SKG

I'm not sure whats the recommended MTU for Vodafone FTTH (1492?). I left it untouched (Mikrotik default value) and everything works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

1492 is fine for a PPPoE connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Thank you for this, I'm currently using OPNSense in a VM but a dedicated device does seem appealing.

€250 or thereabout?

I bought mine from EURODK dot COM (sorry I'm not able post links on this forum yet)

MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN 185 EUR

Available with UK/IE plug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Thanks for the guide. We are due to get FTTH around May of this year. Couple of questions. What are you using as access points for wifi? Would the router work with something like a NETGEAR 16 Port Gigabit network switch?

For the WiFi access point you can use any device as you just connect it up via LAN cable to the wired router.

I have D-Link DIR-878 and it works fine. If I would buy something today it would be ASUS AX5400 wifi router. Roughly 120 eur on Amazon UK currently on a deal.

Yes, it would work with the Netgear switch also. I'm using an extra Ubiquiti switch myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Domo-

Great Post, I'll try it out later 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MPEG4

Great post. Will this also allow Vodafone TV to work over it?

• Advertisement

I don't know. I don't have Vodafone TV plan. Broadband only.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 B1r0

Hi,

I do have a Mikrotik router, and I am going to switch to Vodafone Fibre from Virgin Media.

Do you think I could buy a fibre bidi transceiver and connect the fibre directly, bypassing the fibre to copper box?

What would be the benefit of removing ISP ONT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Shoog

The vodafone router captures and redirects all DNS traffic to Vodafones own name server. This will cause your network to lock up if you attempt to use something like PiHole for adblocking. You will also get far more control over your firewall setup which is very basic in the vodafone gigabit router.

Vodafone strongly discourage you from using any other router.

Question was about ONT box, not the router. I'm aware of benefits of using your own router but why would you need to replace or remove Vodafone ONT box.

I just don't like having an additional device in the loop sucking power, albeit minimal, and introducing latency.

Fair enough what comes to power but I don't think removing ISP ONT box will cut down on latency. Not even 1ms. But would be interesting if that's compared and tested. I might be wrong.

Indeed, the latency introduced is in the order of ns. If it reaches even a ms, then there is some real problem. :)

It is just that I am obsessed by having a minimal setup with as few cables as possible.

One other thing is that the media converter might not be remotely manageable and one might not have visibility to link error stats.

Would you be able to give me the model of the media converter?

Maybe even a picture of the transceiver would be great and very helpful.

Thank you

@SKG Just connected my MikroTik router to the ONT box and followed your instructions. It works like a charm!

Thanks again for your post.

When I'll get some time, I'll try to connect the fibre to the router, but I will need to investigate which transceiver is compatible with the fibre.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭65535

You are brave to battle the complexity of MikroTik

• Advertisement
Advertisement