Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Customs charge on Amazon order. Irish VAT already paid

• 11-12-2021 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭

This question has probably been posted several times so apologies, couldn't find anything with the search function.

Anyway, I ordered two items from one seller.

Both pretty small and cheap about £10 each. One had free delivery and came next day or so, the other was about £5 delivery which has been stopped by customs looking for another more VAT + an post fee.

I definitely thought they'd both be exempt for any customs and never had any issues with the rest of my orders.

Can you dispute the charges or what's the next step to take?

I'd rather send it back and get a refund than have to pay the customs if it's coming out of my pocket in the end.

Both invoices have same seller and address on them and would be similar to each other (computer accessories).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,745 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think the title here was edited or at least didn't show the "Irish VAT already paid" on the main listing when I wrote my initial reply

If the item has had Irish VAT actually paid on it, you can send a copy of the invoice to customs and the item should be released

If it hasn't - and on non fulfilled by Amazon items, it should have been removed - you'll just have to pay it

Customs will not return the item to the seller in either case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Do Amazon collect VAT on items sold by 3rd party sellers? I thought it was only on items sold by Amazon.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Tech_Head

The price you pay on Amazon at checkout is the final price - even from their marketplace sellers.

Tell the seller you were charged customs and would like a refund. If they don’t play ball, talk to Amazon Customer Service.

“On orders dispatched from Marketplace Sellers:

- The price of items which are dispatched from our Marketplace Sellers are inclusive of any applicable VAT and duties, and no further payment will be due. If for any reason you are charged additional costs (e.g., by customs authorities), in addition to the purchase price and delivery, you can contact the Seller to request a refund of these costs.

- Should the Seller not reply or resolve the issue for you, you are eligible to file an A-to-Z Guarantee claim with us to request a refund.

- For more information about our A-to-Z Guarantee, please visit https://amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GQ37ZCNECJKTFYQV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Cheers. Going to try the first option if I can find somewhere to send the invoice to dispute it. If not I'll do the Amazon route.

I read that text before but couldn't find it again when I was looking it up earlier so want sure if they changed the policy.

It was strange when I was placing the order that the item that was stopped had a very long delivery date, like they knew it would happen even though it was shipped right away.

Sellers chance their arms. Took that from an email that Amazon sent back in November (Subject: Ordering on Amazon.co.uk for delivery to Republic of Ireland) and it’s still the current process 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,491 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If one got through just be thankful. There was a time when low value items were VAT free, but not any more. There is no customs charge involved, just VAT and processing fee. VAT is charged on the postage as well as the intrinsic value. You can refuse it, and it will be sent back.

Don't believe any seller telling you something is Free Delivery. They have to get the money for the delivery cost from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

A long delivery date on electronics usually indicates it's coming from China. Same seller may have dispatched from two different locations.

From An Post

If you wish to dispute the Customs Charge for your item, please e-mail eCommChargeQuery@anpost.ie with your tracking number, customs reference and a copy of the original purchase order. They will respond to you directly to resolve your issue.

Sent off my details, I'll update if it works or not.

An Post could be correct to charge VAT depending where it’s coming from. However on Amazon, it’s the sellers responsibility to you to make sure that you don’t pay anything extra on top of what is charged at checkout.

You should be speaking to the seller / Amazon, not An Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

Amazon sent out an email to Irish customers last month:

On orders dispatched from Marketplace Sellers:

- The price of items which are dispatched from our Marketplace Sellers are inclusive of any applicable VAT and duties, and no further payment will be due. If for any reason you are charged additional costs (e.g., by customs authorities), in addition to the purchase price and delivery, you can contact the Seller to request a refund of these costs.

- Should the Seller not reply or resolve the issue for you, you are eligible to file an A-to-Z Guarantee claim with us to request a refund.

- For more information about our A-to-Z Guarantee, please visit https://amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GQ37ZCNECJKTFYQV

I would pay the VAT and then do what Amazon explain above. Don't bother disputing it with An Post, it takes ages and most people get nowhere.

• Advertisement

No reply from An Post, kind of expected that tbh. Thought it was worth disputing given the very same seller (Orzly-kind of a known brand) sent another package that sailed through without issue but I need this delivered before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Rickytumtum

I had this happen to me. Seller insisted VAT was amazon’s issue not theirs - but the invoice says differently. My guess is that their paperwork was inadequate and therefore customs charged. I paid and raised with amazon, who gave a full refund. As previous poster said - amazon calculate it all at check out so nothing further due. If they Overestimate charges, you actually get a refund, even if only a few cents. But if they underestimate, they absorb the cost. Just make sure you have evidence that you paid the charge. Amazon are pretty good with sorting out in my experience.

After contacting the seller on Amazon they processed a refund fairly quickly.

Since then, An Post stated the package didn't have an IOSS number on it. It was already in the bin by the time they replied so I didn't get to verify.

Advertisement