Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turntable won’t play through speakers

Options
  • 12-12-2021 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I’m trying to use my dad’s old set up to listen to some records and just can’t get the sound to come through the speakers. The turntable is a Bush MTT1 and has a built in pre amp. The stereo is a Samsung MAX-N22. I have made sure the amp is switched to on and have plugged in the red & white cables into the back of the stereo and put it on AUX. Have I done everything right or am I missing something?

Both the devices are about 20 years old and the turntable was an inexpensive one to start with so I’m thinking the amp could just be kaput. Would an external amp solve this?

I’d like to get it working for nostalgia reasons so if there’s something obvious I’ve missed please let me know!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

The amp needa to have a Phono (turntable) input.

This is to amplify the tiny signal from the stylus so that the amplifier can amplify that signal.

If the amp does not have one then you can buy one.

https://www.hifihut.ie/products/pro-ject-phono-box-mm

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Chazfem

According to the manual, the stereo has an ‘aux in phono’. Would the amp you suggested fix a faulty pre amp on the turntable if that’s what the issue is? Or anything else I can try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭andy1249

The Samsung MAX-N22 does not have the correct type of input.

Record decks need a very specific type of "phono" input that has an inbuilt RIAA equalisation circuit that is needed to "decode" the frequency shifted analog signal that is on an LP.

An ordinary left - right "line level" aux input wont have the RIAA circuitry and you'll either hear nothing or a very weak distorted sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

If the turntable has its own phono preamp,surely this should sort out the audio level and Equalisation? This would mean the turntable appears to the amp as a line in signal which the aux input should accept? I assume you tried another source into the amp like your phone on say podcasts. Good luck the old gear was in many ways superior sometimes.

Advertisement