Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭vistaphotos

Eastern roof has loads of room, Western roof has less space. Most installers have suggested E/W split.

One is suggesting some panels on the smaller Southern roof "X" which likely need optimizers anyhow due to tall chimney "Y".

I think the idea is that due to smaller space on the Western roof it may be necessary to put panels on the Southern roof to match the overall number of Eastern panels, with benefit from Southern panels during the middle of the day. What would be impact later in the day when sun is in the West?

How should that be configured in terms of strings? Link the Southern panels and Western panels into one string, with Eastern panels on their own string? If linking S & W should all of those have optimizers?

Is E/W/S overcomplicating things and would an E/W split be simpler.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You ONLY need optimizers where you have shading/shadows cast on a panel, or a number of panels.

it's hard to tell really from the piccie, you'd need to see it in person, but "x" and the south facing roof (not labeled) to the bottom of the picture would be a good place for a bunch of panels on 1x string. You can do that as they are all orientated the same way, albeit, you'd need optimizers on the panels on "x" as you say you have a chimney which could be casting a shadow.

Then you could have a bunch of panels on East.

I'm sure others here would have some ideas too?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭vistaphotos

Thanks. Structurally southern roofs are smaller and not as strong as main western roof so not inclined to load with panels. This means EW may be better option. Have heard that W better than S for evening power any merit in that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As the sun is in the W in the evening then power will be more, E more in the morning, S most during peak midday hours, North 50% of South

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shakeymathuna

Re your offer of assistance to forestall being ripped off. I am new to this and based in Cork. Could you point me in the right direction. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barrak

Question regarding Invertor/Battery installation...

Had 5KwH PV installed last week E-W array. Commissioning/intstallation of inverter and battery (Huawei Sun Invertor/Luna Battery). I need to decide the location of the installation. Installer had suggested the attic however I would have concerns about putting a lithium ion battery up there. My two suggestions were in a utility room downstairs or externally mounted on a gable wall (north facing and relatively protected from weather) and putting a fixed canopy over the system. Both options have merits: inside would be more secure from theft etc while externally would negate and fire risk with the battery (though maybe i'm overreacting!). I would be grateful to hear from anyone who might have been in a similar pickle or has experience in the matter.

Many thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

I'm looking for the exact same advice please (caved and bought a battery!!!). Seems the LG Luna is outdoor rated. My options are attic or beside gas boiler (seems like a bad idea!!). No utility room. Small gaff so no where else for it to live inside. Or externally mounted on a gable wall (relatively protected from weather). Don't have a shed for it close to consumer unit. It's a large enough unit the installer said. Will be 5/6kwh model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

I put mine in a small lobby at the front door where the fuse board is because of access to the attic was a nuisance and I'm glad I did! You will be able to monitor it instantly and check alarms as they happen in real time not delayed like the app shows. If you need to access any settings like charging times for the battery in winter it makes it easier as well. I wouldn't put the battery outside unless it is in a garage or somewhere the temperature is fairly stable in winter, batteries don't like the cold!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Fair point on an outside wall in winter. They have a heating unit in them for that. But means they are burning juice to keep the temp in the right range - so that's an efficiency drop.

Dumb Q. Any safety concerns with any solar batteries being in houses for air quality? We're not supposed to have gas boilers in bedrooms now due to what's we're breathing from them. But that's only something being flagged more recently. Asking in case batteries may be similar. Are batteries fully sealed units so what's inside them can't exhaust into what we breathe? There's gotta be some airflow to cool them, but maybe that's outside each cell??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

I wouldn't be worried about gases leaking from them. I'm sure more tech minded boardsies will explain in more detail!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hi all. Question about the an off grid "failover". Is that possible with a Solis hybrid inverter?

I'll be getting PV with a 5kW Solis hybrid inverter and a 5kWh battery installed this year. I know by default home PV shuts down in event of a power cut, but is there a way to have a manual cut over, and does the Solis inverter support that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yes, My parents have it,

They were getting a new consumer unit at time of install too.. The old one was older than me!

There is a changeover switch beside the consumer unit where the mains and the backup supply from the solis goes into, and that feeds the consumer unit. Has 3 positions, Grid, Off and Backup. You also need 2 cables going from the solar inverter to the consumer unit location.

There is 2 (3?) steps to do theirs,

Move to Off position,

At the solar inverter, there is a mini consumer unit, there you turn on a mcb for the backup supply, that operates a NC contactor which disables the gird supply to the solar inverter.

Back to the change over switch, move that to backup and we're up and running, completely off grid.

The reason for the extra steps is to keep the fireman switch activated, so the solar panels still generate electric. without that step they would be on battery only.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Is that something "as standard" with the solis? The idea that there's no off grid in the event of a power outage is a bit of a bummer for me. It would be great to have the off grid backup considering the times we are in and potential outages.. run lights etc would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Not standard, you'd need to request it from the installer as there's additional wiring and switches. The solis hybrids should all have the capability though. I've the same setup on mine. Two steps to switch over to backup and it's running the house then. Max 13A total.

Usually its just a single socket that the installer will put on that port. Not a huge amount of use though.

So we had the installers out today commissioning the inverter. Decided to go outside on a gable wall relatively protected from the weather. Huawei 5kW inverter for the 5.6kWh E-W array. All need to do is pop a small canopy over the inverter. Very happy with how it turned out looks wise, all parts IP65 rated for water too. Battery should be delivered and installed soon & should nicely cover any troughs during the day and our usage overnight.

We did same last week with Huawei inverter. Installer said they prefer to install outdoors. Solves the issue of overheating in the attic. Or same with a lot of heat wherever they are. Or loud fans depending on inverter.

We don't have any housing for them. They are rated for outdoor. Doesn’t look very pretty on side of house though. Panels all run back the them kill switches there too. But I reckon it's better for them to run at a lower temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

That’s our one anyway sorry can’t figure how to get it right way around. Waiting on battery to be added in few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lob1

Hi All

would anyone of you have a photo of the ct clamp and check meter installation. Need to install one and have a total mental block on how to do it. Thank you

• Advertisement

Mine looks identical. My kill switch is outside. Installer said reg requires they are at the unit. I asked that he put them up high so people couldn't easily mess with them. Or get hit in passing if we were carrying stuff past them. Glad they are outside. Means I don't have to worry about attic heat as we had nowhere else for them

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Post deleted.

Post edited by ColemanY2K on

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

Hi,

Question I'm working through getting an install for my parents house, approx. usage of 3500kWh per year.

The install is for approx. 3kWp, we have the option to get either a Solis 3.6kW or a 5kW (both non hybrid), the 5kW is coming in cheaper is there any concern with having such an oversized inverted versus installed panels?

I would stay with Hybrid as it gives option of battery in futre. Also would suggest a 5 kw inverter.

Sorry @Lob1 I wasn't entirely clear both are non-hybrids

no problem a hybrid will give more flexibility.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'd disagree with going with a hybrid "just in case" as it's double the cost of a normal inverter.

If you did decide to go batteries you can always sell the normal inverter and get a hybrid then (especially with the fit around the corner)

It's more I'm being offered the 5kW for slightly cheaper, as they reckon it's more efficient with a small setup but I'm struggling to find any data on likely losses.

I'm tempted to just go with the bigger one as it's cheaper 😃

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

A 3.6 hybrid will never pay for itself versus non-hybrid

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

What is the correct position for installing the CT clamp and Arcel check meter?

Installer put CT clamp on output of supply meter and Arcel meter on a sub board for garage? Will this give correct import export readings?

Advertisement