Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This setup will be to cover the base load of my well water pump and possibly the vent from the septic tank. I aim to have enough panels to keep a largeish battery topped up to take that use off grid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Do you have the "new" Zappi with integrated Hub?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭micks_address

eddi 2.1 has the hub built into it - older versions you need the hub.. same with zappi i believe.. older versions need hub, newer have build in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

Hub is only needed if you have more than 1 My Energy device (Zappi + Eddi). Or newer Zappis have a hub built-in. It’s a bit fiddly to get the My Energie app to see your Eddi at the start, well was on the Zappi. 

I’ve only 1 device so didn’t need the Hub. Took me an hour or so messing to get it working. Can't recall exactly the steps. Had to connect the Zappi to my house WIFI so app could see it from what I recall. Need a code off the Eddi which you’ll find in the menu of it on the Eddi itself. that wasn't clear in my instructions. Good support info on My Energy site if can’t suss it out from the setup info in the box.

But the screen on the device itself will let you do what you need for now (assuming it’s easy to get to). Could do most of what we’d need direct on the screen without the app. 

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You need a hub regardless of the number of devices, this is how data is tranmitted to the mothership and allows App control.

If you have no desire for App control then a hub is redundant, you will not be able to perform any firmware updates either without the hub

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭cobham

AAh now some light! many thanks, yes new Eddi. Getting no joy from online support...keep referring to the Hub! Meanwhile very happy with system, battery filled up and tank of hot water still decent temp next morning. Maybe we dont need to put any boost settings on the Eddi while this weather keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't you already have a large PV system setup with hybrid inverter and large battery? Not sure why you want an additional grid connected setup? For a local system in a barn / outbuilding you could setup a small off grid system, you could mess with that to your heart's content without having to fear any regs. That's what most people would do

The hybrid inverter I have is maxed out at the current level of panels, both are at the voltage peak. Additionally the 8.2kWp is just at the 120% max for a 6kW inverter (I've seen peaks of 7kW generated).

Anything else I add in terms of kWp will be in different inverters. When I get my grant refund I think I will be buying either some more batteries or a Victron inverter.

Ah yeah it makes sense then. If only I could buy a 3 or 4 MPPT input string hybrid 10kW single phase inverter. They exist but none of the wholesalers want to import them into Ireland, funny that 😂

Did you enquire about getting 3ph?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Have car. Willing to travel

Who's with me? 😄

• Advertisement

It's a long trip to Guangzhou! 😂

I've had ESBn out a lot to the house recently. I got a reasonable quote for upgrade to 100A supply. However 3 phase, while we're close to the transformer and it has available space on the map, the guy from networks reckoned I'd be looking at north of 5k to upgrade the wires between the transformer and the house. Not paying ESBn to upgrade their network - at least not without some tangible benefit to me.

So yeah, next step is more storage, added inverter, add a couple of micro inverter supported panels too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

For 100A? I think so. i was initially looking for the 80a/16kVa upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I'm thinking of going DIY solar and/or DIY Heatpump. Despite reading heaps of threads here I haven't got a clue about lots of things so I'd really appreciate some help!

I'll start with solar positioning -

1. Pitched natural slate roof 45 degrees, facing SE, above flat roof so safe access
    2. Said flat roof but exposed, lined with 5mm membrane which I don't want to penetrate or damage and panels would be visually obtrusive
    3. Low pitched flat roof, about 20 degrees, facing SE, same 5mm membrane but panels would be hidden from view

Hey Paul,

You’ve a few bits in the mix there :) What is it you’re trying to do and that will help on the advice side? As in what's the 'vision'?

Solar PV panels to generate just electricity? Solar thermals to generate just hot water? DIY heatpump? Something else? Cheers

The "vision" is to save money and create some level of energy independence.

I've an A-rated house with gas-fired UFH which retains heat for 48 hours or so. DHW is from gas combi boiler so no HW tank. Gas usage about 20000kwh/annum of which 10% is DHW. I've no huge incentive to change the DHW as it's effective and cheap.

House has big solar gain so tends to be too hot on sunny days and too cold on cloudy days! An app which controlled heating based on weather forecast would be great!

With electricity still up to 4 times price of gas I'm not sure if heat pump is going to pay for itself esp. with ongoing maintenance costs.

Post edited by Paul Kiernan on

@Paul Kiernan

What us your current annual electricity use?

About 3500kwh Day and 3500kwh Night. I have an EV but only use about 1000kwh per annum on that (night obviously!).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Advertisement

I’ve stuck in some suggested ‘buckets’ based on "vision" is to save money and create some level of energy independence.

Leave alone:

“A-rated house with gas-fired UFH which retains heat for 48 hours or so” –change nothing there as that’s much better than most would have. And will get less bang for the buck changing here

“I've no huge incentive to change the DHW as it's effective and cheap.” – again, leave alone. Don’t need solar thermals for hot water or solar PV to feed the DHW so (IE no hot water diverter needed).

Reduce: Buying 8000 units of electricity (3500 day, 4500 night (house 3500+EV 1000). Saves money. See what's using all that as it's not the EV (1000 only) and don't have electric heating. Average house is ~4500 re bonkers. Our small house uses 3000. Don't get solar until you see can you cut back. But can do both at same time of course!

Change: Then solar PV is the way to go here to produce power to use and sell back in FIT.

Solar can only help the day units of course, and you already load shift to save the night ones. Though you'd likely move some of the night stuff to day (like dishwasher, washing machine..). But with FIT ~15c a unit, you get paid for whatever you don’t use. EV won’t be able to soak up excess as you do so little mileage (and would need something like a smart car charger like Zappi. At 1.5k for supply and fit you won’t make that back as mileage is so low. So Zappi not needed unless you start to do a lot more mileage).

Only 1000 units right on the car? Seems low. We use twice that and only do 15k a year pottering around.

'Down the line' maximise: Solar gain is free juice 😊 So could get automation to get blinds to open / close based on weather. No idea how to do it, but it’s possible. That’s deep-dive stuff down the line. And less benefit - so park for now. Or go old school if someone is in and open blinds when sunny but cold in house, and close in summer.

Thanks for your comments. Car figure is based on when I charge at home so about 8-9k/annum.

I suppose the main argument is that if it made sense to install solar when electricity was 10c/unit it must be a no-brainer at current prices! So the question is to what extent. Unkel posted recently about a small plug-in system that pays for itself in 3 years! So how big do I go, do I get a battery, where do I put it, where do I get it? These are the things I'm trying to work out.

OK question from a dummy here.... we have the app done for the inverter and worked away fine day 1 and 2 but now it says it is 'device offline' so no info about load coming off panels etc. All is working fine as battery is loading up... there is real info from the screen on the inverter. We have not got the Eddi app installed yet either. Yes solar chap due to return but hit by covid.... We have a 'Stick Logger' (Wifi).

I havent gotten the written quote yet but the guy advised the work would cost about 1700 + VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

Is it a solis inverter as the app is showing mine off line today also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭micks_address

you dont need the hub with the latest zappi and edii.. functionality is built in... if you want to use wireless ct clamp monitoring you also need a harvi.. hub is redundant with latest versions

Dozz, yes it is a Solis inverter... we have an Eddi and a Harvi.

Update, app working again all by itself!

Post edited by cobham on

1)

Dive in here to see what’s what: Interested in Solar PV? Read this FAQ first. — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

If you want / need a small system (have limited budget or a very small roof so can only fit a few kilo watts (kw) of panels) look at solar as a service. Pay 40+ per month for 10 years and then own the kit. Think of it as a solar loan. You can move electricity provider as normal.

Size wise: You don’t size it for winter as output is low. If you did, in summer you’d over produce a wild amount and would cost a lot to setup. Link above should have info so you can estimate what you’d produce based on what roof orientation you have and size you might go for. Assume you’ll only use 40% of what you make. And then you’re only buying the gap from the grid to match your yearly usage. And will get paid 60% for FIT (~15c). They are  crude %’s but enough to do some maths on it.

I haven’t seen anyone here feel they went too large - within reason of course, you’re not a power station 😊. We’re all only go to use more electricity as we move off fossil fuels.

Battery is a nice to have at moment – people have very mixed feelings but battery costs are high and FIT pays well for now. Could always be a future addition if needed. But if down to more panels or a battery, it’s more panels in my mind (engine is bigger so make more). Same for any other divertors (to DHW for hot water) – park for now.

"Where does it go?" Only kit you'll have is an inverter which connects the panels to the fuseboard. Size of a fat laptop bag. Can live the attic, utility room, outside if outdoor rated.

2)

Then read the last few pages on the quotes thread to start to get a sense of current costs and what people are looking at: Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1 - Page 118 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

You’ll get a sense of the cost per 1kw of panels (and link at the top has a rule of thumb too but is more attainable on larger systems). Panels are 1m wide x 1.7m high or so generally.  

3)

Links above will get you started. And see if anyone in the area has it or that you know. Ask their experience. Get their installers details. See you back in the quotes forum!! 

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That's decent! Although sorta in line with the normal 12 to 16 upgrade (although I went from 8 to 16)

16kva is a 100 amp fuse in the meter box but 80 amp at the consumer unit

• Advertisement

Why would one need a heavier connection to your house for domestic purposes?

Advertisement