Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭con747

I never heard of installers saying they can't fit a double socket beside the inverter because of the grant, changeover switches maybe. My installer fitted a double socket beside my inverter and most people on here most likely got their installer to do it. It's a 5 minute job for them while installing. If you ask them they will I'm sure.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Those issues should of been spotted during a site visit prior to getting the final quote. Poor show by your chosen installer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

To be honest there was no visit prior to the install.

They requested pictures of the fuse board etc which I emailed in early October.

Apparently the Reci never got the pictures and thats why everything went ahead.

So I have everything installed and not commissioned - panels are on the roof. inverter is installed just ready to be connected to the fuse board once issues are sorted.

The lads that installed it arent allowed to carry out rectification work and Im trying to find someone who will and to be honest they were very helpful in explaining what needs to be done to rectify things.

The original fuse box was a screw in fuse type and as some stage it was changed by a cowboy who never bothered fitting rcds in it which should have been done - why they werent fitted no one knows.

Solar installer reci has said that IF I get a reci who will install rcds in the fuse box on the correct circuits and IF they dont trip Ill be up to regulation for that. The bonding of the pipes and installation of the earth spike will sort the other issues out and the solar reci has said the one doing the bonding can use his conduit that the solar cables are in for the 10mm earth as its ac cable in there and not dc which will save a few quid rather than running new cables to the earth spike.

Tails are ok unless I go for EV (Im going to upgrade them anyway) and he did say the board was neutralised what ever that means and thats a good thing.

The only good news I suppose is that he said the wiring is up to spec so I dont need a full house rewire unless there is an issue when the rcds are fitted and tested and if there is an issue it could be a partial rewire of a couple of circuits.

So thats where I am at the minute - Im waiting on 2 recis to call out today and look at the issues and see what its going to cost me. Price isnt really an issue- safety of the house is more important and I cant really put a price on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

It's a pain but maby for the best. I can only wish you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

@Hellrazer it's a complete pain in the hole for you no doubt. The positives are (pardon the pun) You have the system installed, now, lead times and prices are increasing all the tome so at least you're sorted now and have them, and secondly, you're not losing out significantly on units of electricity over the next 12 to 16 weeks because of the time of year. If it were march going into April now, yes, I'd be eating my face with frustration because of lost units that you could be generating

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I suppose thats true - It gives me a bit of time to sort things before the good generation times start.

And I know other people who have went with the same installer who are getting February / March install dates.

Fingers crossed its the easier of the two fixes but Murphys law and all that!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Electrics is often overlooked in houses, Especially older ones.

They will likely not just put in a rcd, but replace the whole consumer unit. It's a easier solution.

They tend now to put in RCBOs now instead of rcds and mcbs.

A rcbo is a mcb and rcd combined. So if a rcbo trips, it only brings down that circuit instead of a multitude of circuits which helps narrow down any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I'm not sure about the advice you were given on the tails, it needs to be upgraded whether or not an EV is planned. Any change to your distribution board requires the tails to be 16 sq. I would also advise surge protection to be installed while the upgrades are being carried out, in fact going by regulations it should be installed as part of the solar install.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

Had a call there from my electrician/installer..coming either Thursday/Friday next week..was chatting about wiring the Eddi and he says they typically just wire it to the bath element on the immersion that otherwise you are just heating a small portion of the tank and might as well do the lot.. I won't be using the Eddi a lot anyway as priority will be battery, car then Eddi.. he seemed well clued in on export margins etc to set them up..only thing is the place I was hoping to fit the battery and invertor is to small so will need somewhere else.. looking like inside wall of converted garage/office.. he says they can be done outdoors but don't want to leave the pass by the house tight and the attic is just going to be a pain in the hole as it's got all the Xmas decorations and crap up there..

Eddie has option to heat both. Boost 1 boost 2. If you want a quick shower and are out of hot water you only want to boost 1 and not wait for it to heat the whole tank

• Advertisement

On an electric shower but that might change at some point. I'll ask him to wire both if it's not a big deal

So had two lads out today.

Both of them recommended RCBOs (Thanks grame) on all the circuits on the board so if there are any issues it will be easier to find and rectify if it was only one circuit.

They both said the board is fine and doesnt need to be changed - Its an ABB board that has loads of space for RCBOs and will be compliant when RCDs / RCBOs are fitted. Wiring is fine as far as they can tell. I do need a ground spike fitted and pipes bonded. Both are going to upgrade the tails to 16mm sq (well install the new tails - ESB will have to come out and attach them)

Price roughly 1000 + vat including certification. Not too bad to get things right once and for all.

Anyone have any concerns installing the invertor and battery outside? Installer says they do them all the time.. do low temps affect performance? This is what a typical outdoor installation looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've my inverter and battery outdoors. It's fine as long as you don't charge your battery when it's below 0C (discharging is ok)

I have to think about that, but you don't as the battery has built in protection that will never allow it. Don't worry, it's fine.

Also make sure it's thief proofed, only a matter of time before they realise the value sitting outside some houses.

Is it ok in terms of protecting your family and your property to have a thief detecting device installed which will send a few amps through said thief? Bit messy though and I guess you'd have to ring the Gardai to come remove the body.

I suppose an incompetent self installer could have wired things up wrong that might result in a similar outcome.

Excellent, I've made a note of that. Sorry judge, I didn't know my installation would be dangerous for someone touching the wrong things. I'm no electrician, just a hobbyist. So sorry to <thief>'s family for their loss.

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

My inverter is outside. Put it up high so people wouldn't mess with it and put tape over the LEDs so just looks like a normal box on the side of a house. Don't have a battery but it's going outside if we get one. You could always add some insulation in a box around it - wouldn't look pretty but would keep temp even during winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 burgerland

Quick question regarding solar safety - If the inverter is switched off and DC isolator or Firemans switch is open then the array is still generating voltage (open circuit?)?

Yes there still is a voltage, but no current is flowing. There is no power generated.

Thanks for the clarification. Just finalising all the bits for DIY install (RECI electrician will be wiring) and I am wary having DC on my roof. Is there much point considering optimisers for panel level shutdown or microinverters for their safety benefits - obviously there are cost/design considerations but looking at some of the experiences in the US and Australia has me thinking. Maybe I'm being overly cautious but was speaking to an installer recently who mentioned a job he was on where a previous (Part L) installation caused a house fire - i think he mentioned MC4 connections poorly terminated.

I don't see how optimisers and microinverters would have safety benefits. I'd say the opposite, there are far more contact points that can go wrong.

Also panels come from the factory with MC4 connectors. In a series string, you just connect the panels to each other. If there is a fire like in your picture with solar panels just connected to each other with their built in MC4 connnectors, there was a manufacturing defect. This is far less likely to happen than if an installer manually crimped an MC4 connector

In the case of a house fire where the AC supply is turned off and the fireman's switch opens the DC circuit, how are the panels on the roof dealt with if they are still generating voltage? I understand panel level safety devices reduce the voltage of each panel individually so the overall string voltage is reduced to near 0.

If fireman switch is open, there is now power in the DC cables after the switch,

There will always be something on the Solar panel side.

Solar panel voltage is in reference from the positive to negative, Not to ground like AC is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

My installer won't apply for the grant on my behalf, I'll have to manage it. I was wondering what should I be looking for in terms of paper work and any other pitfalls?

While you apply for the grant, it's on them to do all the documents.

Applying you need the mprn, bank account details, nominated installer, size of system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Yeah I've done all that. Do they send the rest of the paper work off the SEAI? Don't want to be left chasing.

• Advertisement

Just make sure ESBN received your NC6 form after install, some here had to get it resent because of either installers not sending or ESBN not filing it. That will affect when you were registered for the FIT if not received.

Advertisement