Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

i would also amend the discharge time (in your 1st screenshot) to 00:00 - 00:00 - this will prevent you discharging to the grid; it doesn’t stop your battery discharging to the house and refers only to selling back to the grid.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thanks do you mean the discharge limit on the information screen or charge from grid screen?

On your 1st screen - the charge from grid screen

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

Do you have remote access via the Solis app? Saves you having to run to the inverter itself to change these settings.

If so, it’s under the “Charge and discharge” option in the “Self-Use mode” part of the “Work mode” menu.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

back to this.. on the pgvis system NW is 135 degrees approx and 45 is south east.. but on solcast site... it says 44 degrees is north west.. and -156 is south east... is this a southern versus northern hemisphere thing? what should we enter on the solcast site?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭10-10-20

JRC PGIS (stupid name for a tool) uses "relative to the direction due South", so they take south as being 0 degrees compass bearing (as 0 degrees is the ideal azimuth for solar). That method states the angle from due-South is negative if the sun is East of South and positive if it is West of South. For example, due East would be -90° and due West would be 90°.

That's the easiest way of Northern hemisphere dwellers talking about the variation from the solar-ideal, as you can easily visualise it in your head.

Anywhere which doesn't specifically say "relative to due-South" is using the compass bearing standard of 0 degrees to represent due-North. That works best for Southern hemisphere people as you're only referring to the variation from true North.

it says 44 degrees is north west.. and -156 is south east...

44 degrees on a standard compass is one degree off true-North EAST and not North WEST. But it sounds like they might be using a quadrant compass as that uses the convention of "N44W" to represent "forty-four degrees off North in the Western quadrant", or 315 degrees or North West. For example:

As for the -156 representing SE... that's odd as true SE (off a due-North compass) is 130 degrees. I'm not sure what compass that came off as with Northerly bearings clockwise is typically positive rather than negative.

So the answer is that you'll have to read the info provided about how to calculate the azimuth if they aren't working off 0 to 360 degrees from due North.

thanks for the info.. i guess im wondering am i set up right in solcast with those azimuth?

it says 44 degrees is north west.. and -156 is south east..(ive changed this to -130) still says south east in site details...

• Advertisement

Hit that question-mark on Azimuth and see what it says? On the JRC PGIS tool it expands into this info box:

Sure

Post edited by micks_address on

Yeah, there you go. It's a different (read: abstract/obscure when you're Northern hemisphere) methodology of expressing the azimuth as a positive or negative value from North.

-156 would be in this case equivalent to 156 on a standard compass. It would of course be similar to using JRC PGIS's due-South method, except it relates better to Southern hemisphere users.

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭bemak

Getting panels installed on the mother's house to help reduce her running costs. Installer came today and I asked if I'd be able to see the usage vs production on an app and he said no, that I'd only see production numbers because it's a string inverter setup. He said I'd have to go with a hybrid inverter instead. Is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭con747

Unless you intend getting a battery in the future not really, but others might have a different view or perspective on it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

And I'd also add, some hybrid inverters turn off if battery isnt connected when it's dark.

I'd be of the same view, keep it simple

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭bemak

thanks guys

hi folks,

probably slightly off topic - want to use electricity to heat my water tank between 2am and 5am nightly (5 cents per kwh rate) i have an myenergy eddi and wondering whats the best way to configure it - on boost does it heat the immersion at full 3.2kwh? i know you can limit the output of the eddi for solar excess.. i think i might have limited the amp output when playing around with settings earlier in the year -

anyone doing similar and share setting? Im guessing 2 hours would heat the tank? its 120 litre. I have the temp sensors on the top/bottom of the tank with the eddi so i can play around with it and see.

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thatphil

I've scheduled my eddi to heat from 02:15am for 2.5 hours for the exact same reason. It uses the full 3kw when you boost or schedule and usually fully heats the tank in about an hour or so. I actually have no idea the size of my tank but its on the smaller side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

2 hrs will be plenty. On boost it heats at full whack alright. Assuming you have a 3.2Kw element (which seems a little high - usually they are 2.8 to 3.0kw) you could put ~6Kwh into the tank. Doing the math on that Water Heating Calculator (omnicalculator.com)

You won't be able to heat all 120L, but assuming you heat 100liters of it from 20C->60C, that's....

In reality, you might have to go from 25-28C or something similar as you probably may have some left overs from the previous day, but yeah, I'd say your fine.

Me? I'd probably boost it for 1hr every night so that you have some hot water, and then adapt as you see fit. You might find you need more add 15 mins everynight and iterate on that....rather than going the full 2 hrs from the get go and not knowing if your using it all. (unless you are sure you are of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DrPsychia

Deleted

Post edited by DrPsychia on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

What directions are the rest of the roof facing? Do you have some East or West facing that you can also use.

it will stop though when 'max temp' reached right? so in theory wouldnt be wasting energy?

Yeah it stops when max temp has been reached. Depending on how you have it set it will check back periodically and top up as necessary. So very little energy will be used after it has heated and at 5c per kWh your probably talking fractions of pennies

i think ill start with an hour tonight and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DrPsychia

I will be able to fit another panel, possibly 2 on SE aspect but room is tight for 2 panels in SE aspect if going by regulations to get the grant.

Looking at it I may as well move my schedule forward and save some of those fractions! Been working well the last week or so. Plenty of hot water in the morning for showers but needs topping up with the gas in the evening if somebody needs a shower later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

@micks_address Im doing the same. 300 litre tank and have it on for 2 hours a night at the minute. The eddi will stop heating when the max temp is reached so I wouldnt worry about it too much. Try and get as much as you can in at the cheaper rate.

ive a 120 litre tank i think so ill give it a blast tonight and see what happens after an hour - its minimal but no point heating/let cool and then heating again... probably only couple 100 watts.. but might as well save them. ill be able to monitor it with the temp sensors/top and bottom of tank

• Advertisement

More Eddi questions.. I upgraded firmware to v5 and I noticed it draw from the batter earlier. I've export margin on zappi set to 100.. should I up this to 150?

Advertisement