Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ratracer

My Solis inverter is only connected a week, but that is hardwired to one of the TP Link Deco units in my house. I ran a separate Cat 6 cable out to the garage to accommodate this.

I’ve had no issues with TP Link Deco M5 mesh system that I bought a couple of years ago. Very reliable coverage all round the house from the 3-pack, and just ordered another single to put in the garage now that I have a cable going out there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,235 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone ever had their pylontech batteries trip their switch?

It's happened twice on mine now, although qbout 6 months apart. Everything working fine once I put the switch back up but just wondering is there anything I should be concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What switch rating is it and what charge/discharge current was being pulled at the time?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,235 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Switch looks to be 63A.

Going by the logging i lost comms with the data logger at about 5:40am when it was charging the batteries at 2.401kw, with 70% SOC but I didn't get the alarm until 9:30 or so. Batteries were still at 70% when I put the switch up after getting the alarm so I suspect it tripped while they were charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Hi All,

I did a self install ground mount system earlier this year that is 6.4kw with a hybrid Huawei inverter (5kw), an Eddi which one output is being used for the hot water tank and a Zappi for our ID3.

I'm now thinking about upgrades for next year that I could largely self install and would love some input or opinions on what you would suggest.

First and foremost are batteries, I haven't looked into them too much outside of understanding I'm largely limited to the more expensive Luna brand and that I need BMS too, is there an option to self build a battery with individual cells if I have a Huawei hybrid inverter or is that a no go too? If it is possible, what about BMS?

Is it worthwhile do you think, since I have the EV I currently try dump most of the excess into that, however it's not always home on the good days so we still end up exporting a blast, also realising how handy 5 or 10kw batteries would be in winter now.

I'll also be looking to install these near the inverter which is outside, so how protected from the elements do they need to be, should I build a small outhouse for these or what alternatives would you consider? Understanding they shouldn't go below freezing.

Moving onto the the Eddi then, I hope to upgrade the water tank next year too, will probably go for 200 litres as we're only 2 people but do shower daily and a bath at least once a week or more.

What would you do with the 2nd output? I see someone mentioned an electric radiator for the bathroom, that is feasible but is it the most productive use of the 2nd output? It may very well be, just looking for opinions again.

Thanks in advance, and if in my position coming from just having an active array, what other upgrades would you consider!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

If I was in that situation I wouldn't try get a battery for your inverter. I would build a DIY battery and get a sperate battery inverter and install both in the house.

Their batteries are massively overpriced per kWh compared to DIY\low voltage batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Had not even considered that, how would that work in terms of current in to charge it, where would that output come from, and then on the other end how hands free is running the house from that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Storage inverters monitor the grid, and charge when there is export and discharge when there is import, it tries to keep it at zero.

A good few hybrid inverters can be used in storage mode (sofar, sunsynk, deye) without panels connected to them.

They just need to be connected to your consumer unit like any other inverter and also have a CT (or meter) to monitor the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How difficult is it to retro fit panels when the grant has been paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hi all, i have my panels up and going and I received an email from the ESB about my NC6 form. Do i need to do anything else myself in order to get credit from my provider for acting i pump back into the grid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Either you or your installer should have emailed the NC6 form to esbnetworks at install, did that happen? have you confirmation?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭con747

You shouldn't need to do anything, ESBN will notify your supplier but I think Bord Gais get you to agree to their T&C's before paying out so maybe check your account if with them for a notification. I would ring whoever you are with anyway and go through the details of payment dates and rates to be safe. Keep that NC6 received confirmation email because ESBN can lose them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yes i received an email from the ESB that "We have received your NC6 Microgeneration Application Form and Certification.", the installer must have done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ratracer

That’s all I received from them also.

I then received a grand total of 21 cents for micro generation on my first bill last week! I’m going be rich I tells ya 😂😂

But it was good to know that all is in order with the system for spring/ summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

I got the electric towel rail fitted last night and wired to the Eddi. Works great. It's only a 300 watt element so takes a while to warm up but that's fine. I'm curious about the element in the radiator. Do they have overheating protection built into them? At the moment I'm running it for an hour a night off the Eddi on a night tariff but what's the implications of running it longer?

Cheers,

Mick

Milano Esk Electric - 300W Modern Chrome Flat Ladder Style Stainless Steel Heated Towel Rail Radiator - 1000mm x 600mm https://amzn.eu/d/4oKuqbu

It might not have a thermostat but should at least have a thermal cut-out. Whether it's reset-able or not can be the issue.

as they are designed to just go onto switches, i'm sure they have a normal thermostatic cut out.

Ah...

https://www.bestheating.ie/milano-esk-electric-stainless-steel-chrome-flat-heated-towel-rail-choice-of-size-93215

• Thermal Fuse Prevents Overheating
    • Must be paired with external thermostat / switch

300w isn't going to heat up a room though all that quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭micks_address

This is from the description

Please note: The element supplied is self-regulating and as so does not require a thermostat, if you do require temperature control then an external thermostat is needed.

Yeah, so it will heat up to a set temperature, I'd guess that it's around 45C, and then regulate around that continuously (usually using a bi-metalic strip). The room thermostat would be added if you expected the room to get too warm, which I suppose can happen in Summer time, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭munsterfan2

Just finished mounting my (ground mount) panels and going to run the cabling through ducting over next few days. Is it generally black cable for both or should I use black for negative / red for positive ?

Black/red is much easier to keep track of. But not a requirement. If both black, make sure you know which is which before pulling it through the ducting.

Can panels be retrofitted to an exisiting array once grant has been paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

Hell, yeah. Grant is a point in time subsidy. But high labour costs will be the challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DIY is very doable. I'm not handy or at least I wasn't many years ago when I first got into PV. A lot of YouTube learning later and practice and I do almost all my PV installs myself now.

From a regulatory point, you only need a RECI electrician to connect your grid tie inverter into your consumer unit. You are allowed to do all of the rest yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

I had mine installed in October and made €4.36. I’ll save these up and buy a new battery when I have enough. 😂

Thanks. I have directly south facing roof where installer will only put 2 due to regs. I reckon it will comfortably fit another 2 bringing my total up to a 5kwp. I will talk to the installer when here and see what they think or if they do Nixers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Get your rails installed with that future expansion in mind, then expansion will be easier.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Once the rails are up, it's easier to install PV panels than it is to assemble an Ikea flatpack 😀

Advertisement