Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Website blocked due to location

• 12-12-2021 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Hi there, wondering if anyone could help. I’m trying to access ONeills UK based website as there’s a fair few bob to be saved as opposed to using their Euro site. (https://www.oneills.com/uk_en/) However, when I visit the site a banner appears asking me to use their euro site and I can’t get around it. I’ve tried a proxy and a VPN to no avail. Is there any way I can buy from their UK site?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They may well block you on the postal address anyway. Did you clear the browser cache and cookies before you tried the VPN route?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

I have a colleague’s UK address so hoping I’d be fine postage wise. I’ll try that now - thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Wow you're right that's a significant saving £35 vs €50 on one item I looked at. The banner is just an overlay so you can get a browser extension to remove it. I used Behind The Overlay to get past it and could browse the UK site at least.

Worked a charm, thank you so much!

• Just keep in mind while you might save some money on a purchase (due in part to the UK’s lower VAT) when it’s shipped across customs here may value it at the higher end and will apply 23% Irish VAT. In effect this means you’ve paid VAT twice @ a combined total of 43% overall.

just to give an example, the £35 is coming in at €41 after currency conversion which is a saving of €9 overall. Shipping to Ireland from the UK is gonna be another few pounds, so we‘ll say the item cost comes to £40/€46 and if there’s ANY customs fee applied, there’s another €3.50 admin fee on top of whatever customs charge is applied so we’re already back at €50 before customs potentially applies Irish VAT at 23% so you end up paying nearly €60~ in the end.

the days of buying things for less from the UK are gone.

• Advertisement

I’m lucky Archer Unsightly Fatigues that I’ve access to a colleague’s northern address! But completely understand your point!

• Ah very nice! Yeah, I should’ve said if from UK to NI and NI to ROI it’s plain sailing if you work/live/know someone up there it’s handy 😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement