Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 thread - see post 1 for rules

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Yeah, if Russel turns out to be a match for Hamilton, then when Ham goes they'd probably be looking to replace him with a Bottas 2.0

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Was just having a look on redbullracing.com to see how long before the new car reveal - does anyone know why they are skipping 17 and going from RB16B to RB18?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Perez? Or stroll?

Gasley would be the one I'd pick as a really decent driver (even if prone to ballsups). Lots of potential if he can really harness it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Because the 17 was meant to be last seasons car, but because the new design was delayed a year, they just named that car 16b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

The RB16 was their 2020 car. Initially the new rules were due to start in 2021 but due to covid that got delayed, and it was decided that 2021 would be run with 2020 cars with minor modifications, hence the naming it the RB16B rather than RB17. They've just returned to normal naming now, in hindsight they probably should have called last year's car the RB17 since the minor modifications ended up having big implications.

Different teams took different approaches, I remember at one point there were reports that Ferrari were going to have an anomaly where their 2022 car had a lower number than their 2021 car, because they started working on the 2022 car first before the rule change got delayed, but they ended up going with a special 75th anniversary chassis number instead (and their naming has been all over the place for years anyway with various anniversaries and special editions)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Amias

If Lewis quits at the end of 2022 season I could see someone like Oscar Piastri playing second fiddle to George.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Gasly would probably be my choice too. I certainly wouldn't pick Stroll. Ocon probably has the makings of a strong number 2 as well.

I was reading this article last night about Frentzen's retirement from the 1999 European GP. Originally the team blamed it on a mechanical issue, but years later it came out that it was driver error due to leaving the anti-stall on. Frentzen of course famously struggled in the cold atmosphere at Williams before thriving under the team culture at Jordan and establishing himself as a top tier driver - little things like this are an insight into how that happens, in the way some teams will protect their drivers and others are quick throw them under the bus (I'm thinking of Ferrari, all the way from Prost to Vettel), and the impact that can have on motivation and performance.

The possible ramifications of that mistake are fascinating too though, as if he'd finished that race where he was he'd have been going into the end of the season with momentum on his side and within one point of Hakkinen with every possibility of pulling off an upset for the championship. That could have made all the difference to Jordan's relationship with their sponsors and with Honda (you don't need to look very far right now for an example of Honda cancelling plans to pull out from supplying a team due to a successful championship run...)

Who knows what might have been, instead of their slow death and changes of owners over the following years before the eventual revival under Vijay Mallya and finally Aston Martin, though with the new factory being built there is little or no Jordan DNA left in the team at this stage.

That might be the article I read a year or 2 ago, or something very similar at least. Surprised the info never really spread out in the time before. Heartbreaking altogether.

Actually on another little thing where one wonders about things years later... remember Multi 21? Well the following race Webber ran out of fuel during qualifying. Then in the race they let him leave the pits without a wheel attached properly. Couple of extremely obvious, pretty rare single point of failure mistakes made by his team straight after he aired some dirty laundry.

Extremely unlikely they'd throw away points like that intentionally. In general the team were pissed at Vettel rather than Webber, because they'd tried to use team orders to favour Webber and Seb ignored them and made an overtake. Of course Webber was pretty unprofessional with his outburst after the race, but it was clear on the radio that Horner was unhappy with Vettel too.

• Advertisement

While the team may have outwardly been supporting Webber, Vettel was the golden boy for the higher ups who aren't necessarily on the radio.

Just thought it was a lot to go wrong coincidentally, but sure 1 in a millions happen every day. :D

RB18 (thanks duploelabs & quokula) launch here for anyone interested. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think Fisi's Jordan (and then reunited at Force India) race engineer is still at Aston Martin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Brad Joyce was Monteiro's Race Engineer at Jordan. He has been Stroll's until late last year when he got a promotion to being the teams Trackside Engineer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Bloody hell this RB lauch is painful, just show the bloody car and stop the yapping!

Post edited by Killinator on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Very similar livery, Oracle title sponsor, no Honda branding.

Looks nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Car does look nice, just wish they'd change the livery up once in a while

Have always loved their matt paint scheme, looks great I think. Max made an interesting point about the bigger wheels making it a little bit more awkward spotting an apex, at least until they get used to it I guess. Probably just me but Max looks like he needs to lose a few pounds put on over the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

What does it say at back of the engine cover.

HRC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BikeRacer

Another mule car with team branding... I don't think we're going to see any of the actual cars until testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Nose looks very yellow and pointy, quite like a birds beak or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

My old secondary school, Holy Rosary College 😁

I have to echo earlier disappointment that there hasn't been a refresh on the livery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sure thing, Merc reliability and Hamiltons shoddy start are the only reason Ricciardo won the race. Am I doing it right?

I will agree on the last point, would like to see McLaren, Alpine and maybe another thrown into the mix for fun. We are into the unknown in 2022.

Different lid for Perez

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Amias

Yep. It took the 2 Mercedes to be taken out of the race for Ricciardo to win. Got there in the end.

• Advertisement

Gary Anderson talking about the Haas and he said it's basically the F1 showcar. Hass uses as many Ferrari parts as is legal. So there's no way Ferrari will allow them to show the world its new suspension package, just so Haas can make a splash by being the first to reveal its livery.

At least Haas was honest and called it a livery launch.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

Despite only 1 being taken out in the race, ok thanks for clearing that up. 😘

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sky trying to diminish Max's title as per.

have they released a video criticising Toto for influencing Masi over the Gio incident?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=79VL3Zd-O0s

While the Haas was just a render, there were some notable elements such as the side pods that were quite unique. The Red Bull on the other hand looks to be 100% the reference car with a different livery, nothing to see there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

As I said earlier, the push-rod suspension is obviously photoshopped on to the haas release as they wouldn't show Ferraris new pull rod suspension

Ah, you see, one was taken out and the other got a 10 place grid penalty dropping from 1st to 11th. Now its cleared up for you. You're welcome.

• Advertisement

The same driver who finished 3rd was it? Who couldn't overtake the cars ahead in the faster car, that driver was it?

Yep. The one who qualified first and won the sprint race handily. He was put from 1st to 11th. Did you watch the race?

On a side note, why does this mean so much to you? Is Danny Ric your bezzy mate or something?

Gas bunch of lads still banging on about Monza last year in the 2022 thread. 😂

Can't wait for testing to start and we can see the real cars in action, get some idea of where each team stands. So it's only 4 days total testing this year before the first race? Not much time at all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Six days of testing this year. 23rd to 25th of February at Barcelona and 10th to 12th of March in Sakir.

And the sprint race where Hamilton made a balls of the start on his own accord, right?

It is more so the overlooking at it, and that the win was ONLY down to other things happening, which wasn't the case. McLaren were fast for a few races on genuine pace during the season, this was one of them. I was very happy to see Danny on the podium again as well after all he went through at the start of the year. That is the main reason, it would be great if he was a mate, he seems like a top lad.

Anyway, let us not derail this thread anymore, deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Aston Martin launch at 2PM today.

Haas has states using a dual factory approach. Their design cebtrenis in marinello and is practically part of the Ferrari factory. They all insist they're totally separate, but shur, its an F1 promise.

Gary Anderson was also talking about the sauber factory being in Switzerland and away from all the other teams. He Said that in England team members from different teams tend to meet up and be friends and go for pints or whatever and they tend to share ideas and are even housemates. I don't suppose he means the Mercedes house mate come home and say "guess what we're doing with the front wing?". But more chatting and sharing ideas and experiences in a more general sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I get that it's not the real car, but the actual thing won't look too different right? In terms of the shape of the nose, sidepods, cockpit, engine cover etc?

Also that front wing looks nice - wonder will that change much?

Yeah unless there's an absolutely huge loophole found then the cars will outwardly look very similar. There'll be different details and detailing but realistically they'll all look very similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

Aston Martin Launch is on now.

Stroll is terrible at reading from the teleprompt.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Yeah, he's boring as hell. Jesus just get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

That looks good!

Brightened and upped the saturation on the green as was much needed.

Also looks like a bit more than the F1 mule car

Less like the show car than the others anyway. Sidepods look very square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Car looks nice.

Vettel really making full use of the hair transplant. 😂

Aston looks good. They've done something with the sidepods so at least are revealing that. The gap between the sidepods and the floor look ripe for research and exploitation. I could be wrong but it looks like they've smaller intakes on the side which would fit with all the venting they have on the top of the sidepods. All that venting would be draggy by default but I assume mitigating that enough will be balanced by the possible benefits of controlling more airflow between the sidepods and floor.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement