Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 thread - see post 1 for rules

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes the Ferrari sidepods certainly look interesting.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Social media rumour that Merc are going back to silver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Some difference in the cars despite the tighter regulations. The Ferrari and Aston have the very obvious louvres, while others have none at all. Mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Think they more or less said that half way through last season.

The black cars were a nice gesture to the BLM movementanf the George Floyd , but their brand is silver.

This image suggests black but who knows. If I had to bet, I'd say they'll be silver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Don't think people will really notice or care about that TBH, the virtue signalling gets old after a while, especially when their title sponsor was complicit in war crimes, and the Malaysian Gov (who own Petronas) have laws that criminalise homosexuality.

But, a black car will sway the narrative on that 😉

"You can't address anything until you've already addressed everything". Whataboutery.

In any case, sounds like they're going back to silver this year.

"Look, our car is black, just ignore the horrible stuff our title sponsor has done, please. We really care"

Silver generally looked better anyway.

Yeah. That's it. It's a marketing business, as we know.

No point thinking too hard about it. Ruins the facade of pure racing spirits and leaves behind a reality of a business that markets other businesses

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

This popped up on my YT feed - fairly blurry footage of the Alpha Tauri at Fiorano. Looks like it's from a mobile phone zoomed in. 1min 10s in it's a little better. If nothing else it sounds fairly ok. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Had a look at this video's with analysis of the designs on the AM and MCL. The McLaren is so different to the others, they've either got this incredibly right or horribly wrong. Really looking forward to on track times between cars.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Ms

I seen a possible leak of the Mercedes car on FB today. If it is it then it certainly looks interesting.

And almost all silver too. I guess they still had to keep Hamilton happy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

That's from a livery designer, they even cut off his watermark. Here's the original;

And Instagram post;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ricimaki

First official image of the Ferrari. I'm a big fan of the colour scheme. Yet another different sidepod design, and the nose is also fairly unique

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thought for a

Second there was an extra red wing at the front, then I realised it's just the floor 😐

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cracking looking car and yeah those sidepods are really interesting. Jeez this season can start soon enough.

Masi gone

Bit of a joke really

Would he had been moved on if Hamilton won the title and red bull made a fuss of the Toto safety car message from earlier in the race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

FIA just released a video update:

TL:DR Masi moves to a different role and no more televised broadcasts of radio between teams and race control. Safety car rules to be addressed before the start of the new season

• Advertisement

That's what I was thinking. They can't fire him or else they'd be admitting he made a big mistake. So masi had to move roles rather than be fired. Hamilton and Mercedes get enough of what they want, FIA saves face, masi gone and the show goes on. Everyone's a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

That Ferrari is a stunning looking car, really strongly reminds me of some of the beautiful machines they produced in the early 90s. Of course if you put them side by side you'd see what hilariously oversized barges the current cars are but still, it looks good. Some very interesting design elements on the car too, I love those aggressive looking sidepods. It's going to be fascinating to see how things play out as there's been a lot more variation between teams than anticipated.

Ms

Certainly a great looking Ferrari. Much better than some of there designs over the last decade or two. Let's hope its competitive too. Would love to see them back fighting at the front.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

Of course not. Mercedes ignored track limits 29 times at Bahrain and he only decided it was a problem when Verstappen did it once, but it was soon forgotten about. He told Verstappen to give back a place in Abu Dhabi and when they queried it he admitted he didn't even look at the incident and was just acting on what Toto told him. Just two of countless bad decisions over the year, but for once he does the right thing and ends a race under green flags since the track had been clear for more than 2 laps, and doesn't throw all precedent of letting back markers past out the window, but since this doesn't fix the race for Mercedes and instead allows a clean fight to occur on track he has to be removed to appease Toto.

The FIA have been in Merc's pocket for a long time. Having struggled to find competitiveness in the pre-hybrid era despite resorting to such tactics as intentionally running secret illegal tests with their race drivers in blackened helmets and being let off with a slap on the wrist when found out, Mercedes admitted that they threatened to quit if the V6 hybrid formula they demanded wasn't introduced. Renault wasted millions developing an I4 that was originally planned and were left on the back foot for years. Luca Di Montezemolo later admitted it was his greatest mistake at Ferrari to not stand his ground and to go along with Merc's demands for the new Formula.

In the years that followed Mercedes dominate under rules they basically wrote. The FIA use Mercedes safety cars and medical cars. The FIA's Managing Director of F1 was team principal at Mercedes before taking up the job. Within weeks of Toto Wolff buying shares in Aston Martin, the FIA announce Aston Martin will be sharing safety car duties with Mercedes. When Mercedes ask for an unprecedented change to the pitstop rules mid season this year, they got it. Not to mention countless others over the previous years.

But once, just once, the sport doesn't roll over and do exactly what they want, and they throw all their toys out of the pram and put their PR team and the sycophantic British media into overdrive trying to drag the sport through the mud until they destroy someone's career and have him replaced with someone who now knows their career will also be on the line if they ever cross Mercedes. It's utterly disgusting the disregard they have for the integrity of the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Absolutely love the look of the Ferrari. Sidepods look pretty cool. With so many different designs it'll be interesting to see who's going to come out on top in the aero department.

Glad the big green Mission Winnow is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭McFly85

The Ferrari looks the business. Most of the cars look good, but I’m itching to see them race!

I think they should have kept Masi on. Race Directors don’t exactly grow on trees and you could have considered last year a massive learning opportunity for him, I bet he would have come out the better for it.

Whoever the new guy is at least he won’t have the principals banging on at him about how to do his job.

There seems to be some noticeable differences in front wing height, and no two teams have the same sidepods, they are all very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

They either have it spectacularly right or wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Forgetting about red bull and Mercedes who will likely be up there, I think there is bound to be a surprise front runner this year given all the different takes on the regs.

Very interesting times ahead.

Masi moving sideways is ok by me because there were bad decisions all over the season.

Hamiltons first lap corner cutting in the decider well up there in terms of bad calls.

Why is nobody taking about Hamilton having retained the lead illegally and gained further advantage due to having gone off the track.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

People did take issue with it. People have taken issue with Masi's decisions all season that either favoured Hamilton or went against Verstappen. Some even calling him out of his depth.

Yet, when one decision he makes goes the way he wants, it's a 'bit of a joke' that he is moved aside.

He made a complete balls of it all season and had zero authority, regularly letting Toto and Horner speak over him.

However, Herbie Blash is coming back as a 'senior advisor' to the new RDs. Why was Masi essentially left on his own to make these decisions and given no help like his predecessor.

He wasn't the right person for the job, so hopefully the FIA learn from that.

Masi is race director, a lot of thd decisions were made by the race stewards

Because it's 2022. Everyone is back to 0. We've drawn a line under it and moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

Eduardo Freitas is apparently involved. His stewardship of the Sportscar/Endurance racing has been held in massively high regard to the point I hope it doesn't take him.away from that role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭McFly85

I feel for Masi because I can’t imagine the enormous pressure on him from all sides, especially in a season like the last one, where it became so bad tempered between the 2 title challengers. He would have felt pressure from his FIA bosses to produce exciting races, and pressure from Mercedes and Red Bull on basically everything coming into the home stretch.

He was in a really difficult position for a lot of races and didn’t handle them all that well, but he hadn’t been in the job that long and it was an absolute trial by fire last season that I can’t imagine many could have handled flawlessly.

I think it could have helped him in the long run, especially with the other changed being made, like having an advisor available and cutting the broadcasting of team communications during the race.

But I suppose it is what it is. No idea about the new guys but they have some experience so best of luck to them.

Otmar Szafnauer has been officially confirmed as team principal at Alpine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

That Ferrari really is a nice looking car. Season can't start soon enough

The front nose on that Ferrari is very unique. I hope it is as fast as it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Ferrari nose is apparently modular. The crash structure is one piece and the wing is separate. It should make development less time consuming and less costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

These car reveals have got me geed up for this season to start. Amazing to see how different the cars are to each other and it's so nice to see a return to aesthetically pleasing designs with flowing lines. I agree that that Ferrari's shape resembles the cars from the early 90s, I hope it drives a lot better than they did.

Looks fast...

Sky F1 going to town on the Masi story. Bloodsucking leeches

• Advertisement

Sky and BBC are pathetic with their F1 coverage lately.

Benson in particular, has mentioned Masi or Hamilton in every car launch article so far. He is probably rubbing his head with grease now that Masi is gone. Slater is no better, he would be better off working for a gossip station.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Should they not report it?

It's a pretty big story.

Report it yes

But i got 3 alerts yesterday from the sky sports app to stories and it was in all 3. Even their social media has the story multiple times on it yesterday they never once ran a video blog criticising Toto for his SC message in Abu Dhabi

They are taking great joy out of it and along with Merc are doing their level best to diminish the title Max won.

I really truly hope Merc end up in midfield this season.

Not sure about the overalls, they kind of look like local garage mechanics.

I think the anti-Max angle is overdone. I haven't seen any media try to diminish Max's title. I think it's a case of being too sensitive.

Reporting on the Masi decision and the changes to recent control, isn't the same as diminishing Max's title victory.

During the season, there were plenty of people who wanted to put and asterisk beside the title victor because of one reason or another (sprint races, covid disruption) but nobody is putting an asterisk beside a season won under such unlikely circumstances in the final race? If Max were cruising to victory and the same circumstances led to Hamilton winning, I suspect the asterisks would be being employed.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement