Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 thread - see post 1 for rules

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Have to listen to it myself but Chris Harris from the current form of Top Gear is interviewing Jost Capito, the boss of Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Racing365 is a great site to not get the UK bombardment of bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Things were bad but really they sold the technical centre and mortgaged most of their car collection to get funds to continue. Not a strong position and they have nothing now to fall back on plus they have to pay rent on the premises now and service all the debt.

I fear they will be bought out. Lots of reports re Audi etc and much as I wouldn't like to see them being swallowed up by a big German manufacturer, it's probably the only way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah there's a bit of you that would imagine you'd sad to see them go. But Williams left last year and absolutely nothing changed for anyone. The teams themselves aren't really that important, to me at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Red Bulls RB18 to be unveiled on the 9th, the earliest so far and less than a week away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Can’t see them being taken over by the likes of VAG. They’ve only just unloaded Bugatti and are still trying to shore their position after diesel gate.

There’s a 400 euro Lego McLaren F1 car on the way this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Rumored to be approx 1,400 pieces so can't see it being €400, even with licencing etc. Similar sets (Porsche 911 RSR & Ferrari 488 GTE) are between €160 & €180. Then again, the rumored set number is actually a heavy excavator (42121)

Yes there’s definitely some confusion out there. Perhaps there’s two sets with a McLaren road car (where the price makes sense) and a cheaper F1 car as well or given Lego insatiable desire for expensive sets the price is right. It’d want to absolutely massive to justify the cost in layout of an F1 car, particularly the this years cars with the reduced aero.

• Advertisement

I see they're getting rid of the Q2 requirement to start the race on the tyre rhey set the fastest time on in Q2. Not sure there was a big push to change this. It added a strategy element in the race but I'm probably fine with the change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A good move. Fast teams could qualify on mediums so it only ended up penalising the slower teams.

Haas are to reveal their colours tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The only thing that was interesting about the Q2 tyre rules was when a big team would lose enough pace on mediums they'd be in a race against midfield teams on softs

It's not a big miss to the action imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Will they keep the redski, whiteski and blueski colour scheme?

Who knows, might be in the Ukrainian colours for some serious shade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Haas rumoured to be going all blue, new sponsor too.

Launch Update:

Haas: 4th of February (livery launch).

Red Bull: 9th of February.

Aston Martin: 10th of February.

McLaren: 11th of February.

Alpha Tauri: 14th February.

Ferrari: 17th of February.

Mercedes: 18th of February.

Alpine: 21st of February.

Alfa Romeo: 27th of February.

Williams have to confirm a date.

New sponsor is apparently called 'Poor Energy' 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Could be Ukrainian colours fading into Russian colours.

Interesting that they're calling it a livery launch, considering that's all they've been for the last number of years. Nobody gives away anything about their race car in the launch anymore -except Williams who have turned up late and haven't had a choice but to use the real car. Plus Williams had the advantage of being so crap that nobody would want to copy their design anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Haas were not exactly great the last few years either. In fact they were worse than Williams the last two years. I think this years cars will be different do as I doubt teams will be able to bring as many updates as they used to with the old cars so maybe what the reveal at there launches will be close to the cars they race. I am sure they will find places and parts to update on them just not like the years before where nearly every race and new wing updates etc.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

And the first "car" is launched. Given that Haas are retaining the same sponsors and it's just a render with a livery it's not really telling us much more than the example renders the FIA released last year of the spec car with current liveries on it. They've done a nice job updating the livery to match the curves of the new car though.

Will be interesting over the next couple of weeks when we start seeing actual cars and not renders. I'm curious to see if anyone's found a loophole and done something outside the intention of the new rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Meh, but not terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

If the new cars actually end up looking as clean as that, they'll be the best looking in a long time. Not that the current cars were bad looking either. So much better than a decade or so ago.

Is the Haas exactly the same as last year?

Last year was good. Red white and blue are classic racing colours. But I think its actually the exact same.

Comparing it to the reference car it seems to have a more squared off front nose and much smaller sidepod air intakes so it is more than just slapping a livery on the reference car and may be a reasonable look at their real chassis shape. The floor looks completely flat like a 2021 car though so I suspect that's not representative at all.

It's the same colours but much tidier than last year which had wide stripes coming down the engine cover and a different set of narrower stripes going down the nosecone. This one also has two sets of stripes but they feel like a single consistent line and flow much better with the bodywork. I think the new cars with less complex aero bits lend themselves to that.

The Russian flag isn't as obvious in the new one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It looks super slim at the back but wider at the front, as if some of the cooling or other components have been moved forward.

Didn't they say this is just a livery launch? So this could just be that show car from last year painted in Haas colours.

Few comparisons on twitter/etc show that it's not. Likely that it's not 100% the car either though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What I like about February is that the year generally kicks into gear. Not Motorsport related but when the Six Nations begins, that usually signifies my main sports interests for the year have begun. Great to get the car livery reveals, and then testing, leading into March for Drive to Survive and the proper start to the season! #Bringit.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

What's even better is the relatively short timeframe between one season ending and another beginning. I was telling my partner that F1 was back next month and the response was "didn't it just end?!"

Remember the days when an F1 season would end in October... a long wait til March!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I see Hamilton has risen from the dead or something. Trending on twitter for no apparent reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

An instagram post, his first appearance since before Christmas, honestly thought something bigger had happened, non event.

• Advertisement

"I was gone but I'm back"

In otherwords I've thrown a 2 month tantrum

Harsh.

So what if he is in a mood?

He is a winner and like most winners doesn't like losing.

As long as he and max turn up with their A game does it really matter what gets spouted to grab a few headlines.

You'd swear people had to live with him 24/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Seriously? If we want to watch F1 in Ireland we are forced to live with him for a lot longer than any non fan would be comfortable with. 1000s of hours of brown nosing drivel has been forced down our throats in the last decade.

Fingers crossed the grid gets turned on its head and we don't have to hear about either Lewis or Max this season, we need a change and the social media comment sections need a rest.

He is a 7 time world champion still fighting for an 8th, what do you expect?

The brown nosing isn't his doing.

A person can be an F1 fan and not give more time on line spewing hatred about someone than they spend watching the races.

Anyway I'm not even a Hamilton fan just the amount of hatred said online about him doesn't seem right to me.

Leave SIR Lewis alone!

(obviously, the sky coverage of him is painful)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Not interested in Hamilton if he's in the public eye or not in the public eye.

What I am looking forward to is George putting it to Lewis this year in the same car. As much as we could have a Brawn scenario, it'll be this teammate battle that'll capture the headlines this year.

And I reckon McLaren will have a great year in the mix up the front.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

"You'd swear people had to live with him 24/7" was what I was obviously replying to, so I don't know what your trying to get at with your most recent response. It's obviously the media that have created the issue, not Hamilton.

The point is that F1 fans, especially those who have no option other than SKY F1, do in fact have constant Hamilton propaganda forced down their throats every time they want to watch the sport. It's impossible to get away with and it's been going for almost a full decade now.

When it was Vettel or Schumacher racking up wins, records and titles the coverage was no where near as biased.

Tell me about it... I turned on the TV earlier to watch the Race of Champions and guess what was on?

Lewis Hamilton sitting beside Martin Brundle blowing smoke up his arse praising him and asking what makes the difference between a good and a great driver. It's so awfully cringeworthy to watch as an F1 fan, all of us know what the difference is, having the privilege of driving the fastest car on the grid for multiple seasons... same for all the greats, it's s a package deal, car, team and driver.

The fake holier than thau persona he has created for himself is bad enough, but when you couple it with the media falsely making him out to be the undisputed god of F1 is a perfect storm in terms of inciting hatred against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Looks pretty cool (although the pics are blurry)!

Where are people getting the idea that Mclaren will make a big leap forward this year? I don't have a clue who will make advances and who won't. In assuming that the teams with proven track records will most likely develop a better car than those who have failed to build a better car in the last number of years.

I'd expect Mercedes and red bull to be at the top with a gap the the rest and Haas and williams to be at the back. But I've no idea how to predict anything beyond that

There no way the rumoured price is right. Looks sub 200 with the license. I think the previous “F1” technic set I got was just over 110 and this looks about the same scale.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement