Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to level site

Options
  • 12-12-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have an idea of the approximate cost to level a one acre site of 30 degree inclination in order to build a standard three bed house in Kerry area? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Have you planning? If filling more than (I think) 1m you may need permission.

might be best to approach an architect and seek a planning consultation before doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks but I'm just trying get a ballpark number (5K, 20K or more?) on levelling the area for a house before deciding on planning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

about 50 a hour for one man and digger hire in my area of Kerry. exact price it all depends on how much digging you'll need to do, soil type and how efficient the driver is. hiring people for work isn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks Skipduke. Assuming cattle grazed there in the past, very roughly how much in total do you reckon? Would 5K level it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Nobody will be able to give you a price on that based on the information you’ve given. What’s under the ground? Is it all topsoil, is it stone, is it solid rock? Will a rock breaker be needed? Will some of the material have to be taken away? Is the site square or long and narrow? Is there easy access? Are there any services there, either underground or overhead wires?

Because the answer to a lot of the above questions won’t be known until the digger is on site it is for that reason that digger work is charged per hour. It’s impossible to give a price for a job like that.

However it definitely shouldn’t cost 20k unless there is major problem with rock. If there’s no rock involved and no other major factors to cause problems or delays I’d imagine somewhere in the region of 3 to 5k should be sufficient but unfortunately you won’t know the total price until the job is finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Work out your volume in m3 and its approx €7-10 per m3 this can rise to aprprox €50 per m3 if you hit rock.

For approx figures if you have a foot print of 400m2 for house and permiter and you need on average 2m deep of a dig this would be 400 x 2 x 10 =€8,000

Advertisement