Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID for a bolt

Options
  • 12-12-2021 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi

looking for help in identifying the size/spec of the bolt below (the rusty one!) Its pictured beside a new M6 x 60mm for comparison.

It's from a early 60's Irish Crannac chair and it threads into the nut on the right to fix the seat onto the chair frame.

thanks in advance..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be a good idea to hold a ruler beside it so you can count the number of threads per inch.

but a quick count shows 47 threads on the M6 where there are 37 on the old bolt - which would suggest the M6 bolt has 25% greater threads, i.e. 20 threads per inch on the old one (i think M6 is i thread per mm)

so rough guess, assuming imperial - quarter inch with 20tpi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

EDIT. On second thoughts and having zoomed in mb could be right 1/4" x 2" - 20 tpi

Post edited by Gen.Zhukov on

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

thanks all

looks like 20 tpi alright when put against a steel rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

just to confirm that 1/4" x 2" , 20tpi, coarse thread, was the correct diagnosis, thanks again.

Advertisement