Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypothetical - Where to move to ?

Options
  • 13-12-2021 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and my wife were having a hypothetical conversation today about upping sticks from Ireland and moving somewhere else.

We live in Kerry and even though we are doing "ok" we feel that life could be better.

When I say"ok" I mean we can pay our mortgage and bills but we have feck all left to save or spend on something like a family holiday abroad ( we have never been on anything other than a staycation).

Anytime the car or a home appliance breaks it a bit of a worry.

We have 4 kids 14, 12, 10 and 8.

I work in IT (sys admin) and my wife has previously worked in social care and has been an SNA. She has not worked in a few years what with the kids and all but plans on going back to work sooner rather than later.

I'm 50, she's a couple of years younger.

But where could we move to ?

I know we could go anywhere in the EU and UK but I'm not interested in going to the UK and not sure about having to learn a new language in the EU, but would not rule it out.

Where else would there be ?

I'd imagine I'm too old for any Canadian or Australian visa.

I know we could apply for DV visas for the US but it's a long shot.

We previously lived in the us (where we meet) but we are home 20 years and my green card has long since expired.

As I said it's just a hypothetical we were talking about, the chances of it happening are close to zero, but I'm just wondering what the options may be.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well the only place you have a legal right to move to is the EU/EEA/CH.

Since you work in IT finding a position with one of the multinationals in Europe could be a possibility. Most of the ops type work will have been outsourced to Indian companies, so the working language is most likely to be English.

Of course it would be easier to live and integrate if you know the language, but if you were to choose one of the small countries such as the benelux or Switzerland it is possible to get by at least at the start with just English. I don't know about the others, but here in Switzerland all the state schools run integration programs for kids who do not speak the local languages. It usually takes kids about a year to 18 months to catch up before the can join the school mainstream classes.

Assuming you'd be able to land a job at 50 years old, it could actually be a possibility if you wanted to give it a try.

Advertisement