Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Grand Prix, 13-19 December, Coventry Arena

Options
  • 13-12-2021 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭

After a morning and afternoon off, it's back to the grindstone with the year ending World Grand Prix and a welcome return to our screens of the excellent Jill Douglas and the rest of the itv crew which seems to be basically the eurosport crew with hendry thrown in for good measure.

Judd is defending champion but only 13th seed this year which gives an indication of how relatively quiet his season has been thus far. Zhao Xintong, after a welcome week off, is first up as top seed against Martin Gould. MJW also back after taking the week off and could be a good match up with lisowski, assuming both bring their form to the table.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Full draw and schedule:

Monday December 13

7pm

Zhao Xintong v Martin Gould

Yan Bingtao v Mark King followed by

Mark Williams v Jack Lisowski

Kyren Wilson v Anthony Hamilton

Tuesday December 14

1pm

Mark Selby v Barry Hawkins

Ricky Walden v Stuart Bingham

followed by

John Higgins v Tom Ford

David Gilbert v Ali Carter

7pm

Judd Trump v Ben Woollaston

Anthony McGill v Stephen Maguire

followed by

Neil Robertson v Noppon Saengkham

Mark Allen v Cao Yupeng

Wednesday December 15

1pm

Ronnie O’Sullivan v Andy Hicks

Gary Wilson v Hossein Vafaei

followed by

Luca Brecel v Jordan Brown

Jimmy Robertson v Matthew Selt

Predict for the craic - Gould , Yan , MJW and Wilson..

Probably go with that. Interesting to see how Zhao goes with a bit more focus on him but Gould not been too shabby of late and could be in for the win. If Willo over his covid related fatigue, should get enough chances from Jack to clinch it.

A poor opening TV frame there, which lasts 33 minutes, and eventually goes to Zhao... Low scoring, and Zhao not firing.. Both players missed plenty, with Gould's misses looking far worse/ragged, with many not even threatening the pockets.. A bit of luck from Gould insured his misses could rarely be punished, but it ran out eventually..

One amazing 'single ball pot' from Zhao in opener, but alas the white screwed in to yellow pocket.. In fairness to Gould, he's had one or two crackers, not least the opening red in frame 2.. Looks a case of Gould needs to up his game in order to win, as Zhao not on top form, but, and perhaps it's his new cue; Gould is really all over the place from a positional sense.

Nonetheless, he's in early again, is Martin, by dint of getting a good snooker early in frame 2.

And, just as I posted, he's ran out of position 😋

Safety battle atm,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

The week off might have benefitted zhao

Not looking like it early doors - he's just 'not quite settled' yet 😊 Still winning the match though, but not showing the form on display from his UK victory..

Gouldy's playing a bit better, which could well be enough to see him win.. Zhao missing pots at an unexpected rate, and Martin's knocking enough decent starters in.. Is in control in frame 4, and Gould should really level up here...

I think Gould will win, as Zhao just can't find that recent form..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Stephen Hendry is right, winning a big tournament doesn't mean you'll automatically go on to be a serial winner, plenty of people win one offs, no guarantee Zhao is going to go on and be a regular winner, same for Yan, he's yet to kick on from his masters win and that was a year ago.

It also has to be said that Zhao did next to nothing before his UK win.

I like Hendry's commentating, he's honest and realistic where as Eurosport can get a bit carried away.

Hendry is brutally honest in commentary anyway, .. On two occasions he was particularly scathing of Gould; that red from baulk to plant it on to a red over bottom bag, being the most recent 😂

Amazing to think Yan is all of 3 years younger than Zhao, just he made breakthrough that bit earlier and Zhao barely looks a day over 16! Would be a good chinese rivalry should it develop. I'm inclined to favour Yans more rounded game, can see it being much more suited to the unique demands of the crucible set up. Zhao can definitely improve his all round skills though so could be some epic encounters to look forward to in future years.

• Advertisement

Hendry was extremely complimentary towards Gould on two occasions in quick succession, a few shots back.. "Well played Martin Gould - well played indeed" , he just said.... He definitely 'redressed the balance' there with his words 😋

WD Gouldy! Zhou not at the races at all.. apart from that century he got..

Fouldsy: "We certainly couldn't have predicted that result" ... Me and Joe did 😁

Not entirely dissimilar to what they call in horse racing terms, "The 'bounce' Factor"

I dismissed my own chances of picking any winners in tonight's snooker matches when I were in bookies earlier, so that's a slight negative 😃

MJW and Lisowski looks the most interesting of tonight's 4 ties, for a variety of reasons..... hope it's a good one... Yan well ahead in frame 5 against King, so that could be a 4-1 victory to regain some Chinese honour 😊

Didn't look at betting earlier but hardly the shock of the century I'd say! Also, bit different when the crowd knows you and expects you to win. He has to deal with that too, whereas bit of a freebie for gouldy.

Went for willo here but with caveat of assuming he's over his recent health troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Was checking out the rankings update earlier. Jordan Browne at 28 is now higher ranked than Ding Junhui in the 29th spot, as Ding's 2019 UK win fell away.

Can't even remember what the prices were... had a quick look, and nothing stood out.. late in the day (too late) when I decided to have an opinion...

I doubt there's many matches where the outsider is >2/1 , as combination of best of 7, plus top 32 players... Different in Home Nations where 128 take part, and a lot of supposed 'no-hopers' up against 'heavyweights'

Might look at Dave's odds outright tomorrow.. atm I like, for tomorrow's matches, Selby , Ricky , Higgins and Gilbert..

Was thinking the exact same thing as Fouldsy there haha 😊 After he potted last red, Mark took a yella, and then he walked half around the table, as if he was setting himself up for the green,,, he doubled back then 😃 2 apiece - nicely balanced this match.. Unlike the other, where t'Sheriff is 2-0 up against the higher ranked of the Wilsons..

Liked how he took those. Quite measured, never rushed himself as he's sometimes prone to do. Maybe this will be Jack's week after the couple of breakthroughs we've witnessed past couple of weeks. Long way to go but good opening statement there anyway. Willo no excuses, had his chance but it was to be jacks night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Zhao lost to Gould? Another false dawn after the fawning over him the other day.

Dunno, which is worse, fawning over him after a huge win or pretty much writing him off after one defeat. Two sides of the same coin really.

How did Lisowski close out the match? My recording ended at 3-3

• Advertisement

With an excellent break of 90 odd - can't remember how he got in, or if it was from a Williams' mistake, but a great break with lots of pressure pots... Willo was in first in that frame, but could only amass about 30 points,,

Over 45 minutes of toil and effort, some really solid safety, and then Barry goes and misses an absolute sitter of a pink with frame at his mercy. Do well to recover from that early seismic blow.

The results so far show the depth in the top 32, anyone can beat anyone it seems

Poor Ben - felt he had to go for that red; having 'won' the safety battle, but now it looks very short odds Trump's going to win his 2nd on the spin, to pull 3-2 ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Yer man absolutely sweltering in his Christmas snooker jumper.

That's the pity of watching on ITV - can't rewind ☹️.. I want another look at the chap now 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Trump playing his rest shots with his right. If I tried to play a rest shot with my weaker arm I’d tear the cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

He's actually right handed but for some reason plays most shots left-handed. I think Barry Hawkins is the same.

Well, poor Andy Hicks, only had around the 4 chances to win most of those frames. Ronnie was bad but opponent definitely dragged him down from what I saw. Will play Vafaie if latter finishes it out against cabbie Wilson on the other table. Would be interesting match after the recent German Masters whitewash.

• Advertisement

And Vafaei closes it out. Another very good, confident performance. Ronnie will still be warm favourite but will have to seriously up his game from today.

Advertisement