Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does it cost to switch from Prepaypower?

• 13-12-2021 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

I've been looking to switch from them but wondering what it will cost me? For example, do they have to remove the existing electricity meter and will I be charged for this? The lad from Bord Gais at the door told me the meter stays but they (bord gais) give me a 16 digit deactivation code to type into the meter to switch me over.

Has anyone here recently switched from prepay power to another provider and could fill me in on the process?

Thank you for all the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

As long as you aren't in contract it costs nothing. You can also choose to have the meter removed, free to do, they prefer to leave it there, i think so they can sign you up again without them having to pay for an engineer to go out. You just go to the new company as you normally would, when it switches over you get a deactivation code that turns off the meter if it is a normal meter, if its one of there wifi ones it does it automatically, (that comes from prepaypower) Meter needs to be in a positive balance but you lose any credit on the meter.

Assuming you are ok with direct debit and paperless make sure its the best new electric tariff you are getting from BG (40% discount on unit rate) I'd imagine the door to door people have different products they can offer, you can also get a bit more by switching to the gas if you have that as well.

If you are an average irish user (4200 kwh pa) you'll save more than 500 euro a year. if you are a light user it will be less, still propbably more than 400 euro though. (I think energia and electric ireland are also competitive prices at the moment)

Advertisement