Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirs Rolex Waiting List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

They dont sell Jacob and Co....god they are terrible looking watches.

Slightly off topic, but are these "lists" a thing with most of the famous watch brands? If I had the cash (I won't any time soon!) could I walk into a shop and buy an Omega Seamaster tomorrow or would I have to faff around.

Omega is mostly OK and they have them in stock for sale. There are a few limited edition that are hard to get. Certain Rolex, Patek, AP, Lange, VC are waiting list watches. A good few of those are small boutique brands. Of the main highstreet brands Rolex and Patek are the hard ones to get (and only certain watches in the range at that) As I type this out I realise how mind boggling this is unless you know it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭scwazrh

@Fitz II Omega is mostly ok

Unless you want something nice from omega like a snoopy, then the lists start.

As I type this out I realise how mind boggling this is unless you know it already.

i was asked by a colleague about the value of the sub I was wearing , he was genuinely interested in the watch so I didn’t mind talking figures with him . So explained to him I paid just under €9k for it but the real price is €13k ish .The look of bewilderment on his face when he asked the obvious question of “ why you would you pay €13k for a second hand watch when it’s only €9k new in the Jwellers “ .

It’s a hard enough question to answer in a way that makes sense to non watch enthusiasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

You should refer your colleague to Teddy B's YT channel. He gives the best explanation I've come across and it's relatively easy to understand.

The Real Reason No One Can Buy A Rolex or Patek Right Now - A Breakdown of the Shortage 2021 - YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Why not try Switzerland? Bought mine back in 07 from a small dealer in Interlaken. Emailed back and forth and had the job done in half an hour once I reached the shop. I still didn’t know exactly what I was going to buy but he had good stock of Daytonas and presumably other models.

Things may be different now but I bet they’d be more accommodating than Weirs. Got a very good price too.

07 was 15 years ago....things have changed a lot. You could get a lot of watches no problem back then that are very hard to get now. Without a long and substantial spend history no Rolex AD anywhere in the world will get you a daytona. Now there may be the odd youtube or instagram post of some fellow "getting the call" after only a short wait, or finding a loose one in a airport AD but these are a tiny minority, and sometime I think these stories are dangled there like lotto winners to keep everyone in the game and buying.

I blame flexers and flippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Edser

Yep. Asked a friend living in Switzerland to check earlier this year, and quite snooty reply was the same as here - "are you a previous customer?" and all the usual models are in "high demand and a 2 year list"

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Things have changed so. My guy told me if I ever wanted a SS Daytona he’d get me one straight away. He’s probably retired by now.

Post edited by galvo_clare on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep, there's been a massive shift in the last few years. This forum started in 09 and it was a few pages before Rolex were mentioned and that was in regard to where you could get one at a discount. Getting one was no problem. Used prices were naturally cheaper than new and discounts could be had. Entirely the opposite of today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just buy a different watch... I just couldn't be arsed getting on a list to be allowed to spend 6-25k... If you want to make money, then invest... If you want a luxury watch, buy one that someone is willing to sell you.

If you want to feel special because someone arbritarilly decided to sell you an artificially exclusive watch, then you need more purpose in your life...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

What about going to Dawson Jewellers? The last time I was in there they had a decent selection of Rolex.

Dawson are a grey market dealer in second hand mostly watches. They can get you any Rolex you want. At a premium over retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

and a bigger premium that you will pay someone in italy or germany or the netherlands on C24.

as fitz says, there is no problem getting one, WF have 100s, there are 1000s on C24, you just have to forget abour retail prices.

Not helped by the huge Chinese market viewing watches as an investment hedge against inflation now that property there is falling out of favour

Chinese investors pick luxury watches over houses

The wealthy are spending their extra cash on Rolexes as rare downturn grips property sector For some customers, expensive watches are not only a marker of social status but also a hedge against inflation China’s once enthusiastic property investors are turning their attention to luxury watches as a better store of value in the face of slowing economic growth and President Xi Jinping’s intensifying campaign against housing speculation.

Multiple high-end watch resellers told the Financial Times that business had taken off in recent months as wealthy individuals stopped buying additional homes and instead spent their extra cash on luxury timepieces such as Rolex and Patek Philippe. The shopping spree, said experts, has contributed to a 40 per cent surge in China’s imports of Swiss watches in the first 10 months of this year even as the broader economy cooled off. Camille Gaujacq, an analyst at Daxue Consulting, a Shanghai-based market research group, said a downturn in the real estate industry, once the “go-to investment” for China’s wealthy class, had prompted many to look for alternatives.

“Luxury watches can be the answer,” said Gaujacq.

https://www.ft.com/content/a9a34f94-9a49-4938-ae9e-ec4e6d2f4838

Forget retail, just pay whatever it takes. Gotta get a Rolex,

And they say there's no bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If you want one yes, at this point retail is meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Like something from one of those grabber games in a dilapidated seaside arcade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think when people are handing over money for a watch, it's easier to explain to the wife that you're not losing any money if you need to sell it. Easier to justify the purchase yourself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you need to consider selling the watch while you are buying it... Then it's beyond your means. Luxury watches are exactly that, a luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Apologies for digging up an older thread, but does anyone know approx. how many watches Weirs get from Rolex in a year?

You’ll be hard pushed to get an actual accurate number but at a guess it’s enough to keep their high spending customers happy but not enough for customers that only want watches .

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Fairly logical answer alright. I was curious, for a company that makes over a million watches a year where they all go to. I can understand the waiting on APs/Pateks etc when they produce far less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭traco

I'd guess 3-500 Rolex per year, probably one or two per day average going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭893bet

Assuming 1.5million watches a year (surely at this point).

And 1800 ADs then they get 800 watches each. Then adjusted for average size of an AD….is weirs bigger than average? I would have thought so but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭traco

That was sort of my thinking and why I dropped them down to about half. I'd imagine they are the biggest in Ireland but small compared to other major capital cities and who knows what dealers in Asia are getting.

I was in Mayors Jewelers in Orlando and they are big in Florida with a dedicated Rolex store in the Mall at Millenia in Orlando. At their scale I would expect them to be moving a few thousand rolex a year through their outlets.

BTW if anyone is there its worth calling in. Really sound staff and happy to chat, The normal store had a huge collection of Tudor, Panerai and the biggest selection of Grand Seiko I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,285 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@UhOh - unless you are an utter and total charmer, know the sales manager personally or bribe or threaten him / her. Or unless you are lotto winning lucky, you ain't gonna get a Rolex sport at retail from an AD unless you have massive spending history.

How many times and how many different ways do we have to tell ya? 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

If you check out watchescirclejerk on reddit you will get a laugh out of how far some guys are willing to go in order to get bumped up "the list", which I agree doesn't actually exist in any meaningful way. Go grey if you want a sub before you go grey.

Advertisement