Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couple of insurance questions..

• 14-12-2021 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I haven't had a car for a few years and I'm in the market for insurance now after having bought a car. In the online quotations when asked about overnight parking, would an underground gated car park be considered "Garaged" or "kept on private property".

I previously had a foreign (EU) licence which I exchanged for a full Irish licence this year. Where you are asked for the number of years you held your licence, would I have to say less than 1 year in this case (relating to when the Irish licence was issued) or should I be factoring in when the foreign EU license was issued? Seems to lead to a 100 euro difference depending on which way I go...

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I was following this alhas i am currently in a simmilar position.

I think the license counts from when you first got it in the original country, not when it was exchanged.

The underground garage, i am assuming being a garage, should be considered as such for insurance purposes as it decreases the risk of the car being stolen.

Just my opinion though, maybe the best solution would be to contact the insurance provider and ask the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think the license counts from when you first got it in the original country, not when it was exchanged.

That's a pretty liberal interpretation. We'd need to see the exact text of the question but I'm guessing they ask two questions in succession: (a) what type of licence you have now and (b) how long have you held this licence.

So the question is not 'how long since you got a full licence anywhere', it's asking you how long you've held the licence that you now hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Thanks. I ended up getting the best quote with Liberty insurance.

I phoned them regarding the license situation and the customer service rep checked and confirmed to me that it's the sum of both the licenses. ( The original EU license and the new Irish license) They also emailed me to confirm the same.

That's the case for Liberty anyways.

I'm glad they're counting your full driving experience but I think that question is open to interpretation so there is no 'one size fits all' response.

The questions that Liberty asks are under the following banner....

What type of driving licence do you have?

Option 1. 'Driving licence type'. You select the option: 'Full Irish'

Option 2. 'Driving licence years' (subtext: Select the number of full years you have held your licence for')

This is what I was getting at in my post above, they refer to the number of years you have held 'your licence', that doesn't refer to your licence history. A strict interpretation of that question would say that it only refers to your current licence.

At no stage do they imply or even hint that you can include 'foreign' driving licence years in this answer. So I would always phone and ask. And get the response in a letter or e-mail, nothing they tell you over the phone counts for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I have both. I included screenshots of the specific questions from the website in my email to them seeking clarification and they were clear, it's the sum of the years of both EU licenses. This was also confirmed by the customer service team over the phone so all good.

• Advertisement

As long as you have an e-mail saying so, that's fine. But what you're told over the phone is a 'confirmation' that's not worth the paper it's written on. If you get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stomper45

Am looking at getting insurance in my own name for a few years. I've held a full licence since 1970's. I moved back to Ireland in 9t's but only recently finally changed licence from UK-Irl.

Mostly have been on company commercial policies either my own or when working for others. Last job I wasn't a named driver driving a commercial vehicle.

Have enquired about buying a 2008 C Max 1.8 value € 2000 and have been given a quote of € 2900, was also quoted € 1400 for a 2014 Skoda superb as a random example!

No points or convictions and only a small claim about 15 years ago. I live in an OK area

Have asked and awaiting on the question if they are taking into account length of time I held UK license.

Any ideas on: should i get a small van and build up albeit commercial insurance in my own name again?

How much % would say a 1400cc engine help reduce, my ideal budget to purchase a vehicle is around € 2000 I was hoping to insure for maybe € 1200 pa worst case.

My job is now office based working internal sales and client services.

All input appreciated

Stomper

Advertisement