Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollow Knight -esque games

Options
  • 14-12-2021 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Have a secret santa and the only thing I know about the chap is he liked Hollow Knight on the switch. Would like to get him something similar?

Any suggestions? Was looking at Evergate but not sure if there is better out there?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Metroid Dread is really good if he doesn’t have it. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is even better. Two good options in the vein of Hollow Knight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Oh two good options there! Shall take a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Aeterna Noctus is out tomorrow (hopefully on Switch too).

Huge 50+ hour metroidvania that is being compared to Hollow Knight.

The two Ori games are a good shout too. You really have to know what games he already owns though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Steamworld Dig 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Pushed back to Q1 2022 unfortunately. Looks good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Playing Ender Lillies Quietus of the Knight at the moment. Lovely artstyle, good game so far and definitely got HK similarities

Death's Gambit Afterlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Hey, I was very late to the party when it comes to the Switch, only bought one when I heard Metroid Dread was being released. Had to play it and loved it. I've played Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge on the Ps4, so similar type of games would be good to know about.

I will be looking up the games already recommended here in this thread, and I am aware of the Zelda and Mario games, but are there any other must play switch games? Or hidden gems? Adventure, platformers, rpg, puzzle and more tips would be very welcome, thanks.

most games on the Switch aside from Nintendo Titles are not switch exclusives, except for a couple of temporary exclusives such as Monster Hunter Rise and Shin Megami V and some other third-party exclusives but there aren't too many

all the games will be on steam pretty much and most on the consoles

the attraction for a lot of people is playing handheld mainly.

here's a list of good Switch Exclusives

Mario Odyssey is an obvious one if you like platform games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Heard great things about Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. I've played a few of the devs games and they've been excellent.

• Advertisement

Yep, looking forward to it. It's in the japanese eshop only at the moment. Here at the end of January.

Review out already.

have seen 6 hours mentioned elsewhere (out on pc a fair while ago) which is a bit short

The gamespace looks a bit "cramped" to me (not a lot of elements are fitted into the screen game area)

some performance issues on switch

NintendoLife mentioned 10 hours, so I'll go with 8 as an average. I'd take that, to be honest. The New Game+ is supposed to be worthwhile too, so you can increase that playtime if you are interested in that aspect.

Advertisement