Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Supreme Court: No to gender-neutral passports

Options

Comments

But that's precisely the issue.

Almost everyone who "identifies" as "non-binary" is either genetically XX or XY; those irritating, immutable characteristics.

Non-binary has become the social code for "non-masculine / non-feminine" from a social construction perspective. But the vast majority of each of these people is either genetically XX or XY. By definition, objectivity doesn't care about one's opinion on the matter.

That's why it matters. Because without objectivity, we undermine the scientific method and the way we live in society.

There has to be a standard of evidence that we adhere to, otherwise, if thrown to the four winds, society ends up as a meaningless blizzard of subjectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

People/governments have been identifying with "subjective opinion" for centuries, that's why people of different faith are allowed to preach from whatever "holy" book they wish to believe in.

If someone says Jesus was real then that doesn't affect you, Claim Allah is real? No affect on you. Want to identify as a horse? Still no affect on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah but I don't care. At least you have used the word "almost". My point was to the absolute statement of the other poster and I made it clear (or at least I thought that I did) that I was referring to only physical manifestations. I'm not getting involved in any discussion about anything that is not a physical manifestation.

If you're suggesting that non-binary philosophy is in the same category of religion, I agree with you.

And just like religion, I don't want individual religious beliefs to dictate the reality and political policy of the rest of society.

Someone identifying as a Catholic, Muslim, Hindu etc does not impact on your life but is acceptable to you non the less.

Someone identifying as Male, Female, Horse, inanimate carbon rod etc also does not have any impact on your life whatsoever but is unacceptable to you.

• Advertisement

The difference is the subject at stake - and how it affects law / society.

So for instance, I've no issue whatsoever in personal religious belief - as you say, Catholic or Muslim or Hindu - it doesn't bother me at all. But if there was a manifest movement where any of these minority groups forced me to adhere to their ways / interpretation of life, then yes, I'd have an issue.

Similarly, I've no issue if someone wants to identify as agender, astralgender, and the infinity number of other genders that could conceivably be created. But I do have an issue if they force me to believe that there are more than 2 sexes, and that if I don't believe that biological reality, then there's something disordered about my thinking. There, I draw a line.

I also draw a line if they want the rest of society / government / science to agree to their anti-biological perspectives.

I hope the distinction is clear.

"But if there was a manifest movement where any of these minority groups forced me to adhere to their ways / interpretation of life, then yes, I'd have an issue."

You mustn't have lived in Ireland during the 70's, 80's and even the 90's so, you must have missed all of the minority groups who fought against SSM and abortion, all religiously motivated.

And again, no one is forcing you to believe anything, if someone tells you they identify as a suoernova or a duck billed platypus then just nod and walk away, it's thier belief not yours so how does it impact on your life?

Jesus.

I've explained this thrice now.

I'm in favour of same-sex marriage, abortion, and trans- rights. I could not agree more with either of these three rights.

What I don't accept is that "non-binary" exists; that special passports need to be created to accommodate the "agendered" in society, and so on.

And again, it's not just my view. Many prominent trans- women (look them up: Blaire White; Rose of Dawn; Debbie Hayton) agree with me and other LGBT people, too.

Furthermore, Olympic athletes who now identify as trans-, such as Caitlyn Jenner, agree with me. The ITV trans- contributor, India Willoughby, agrees with me.

This isn't a "binary" issue.

You have LGBT people; you have trans- people; and you have non-LGBT people agreeing on the same front.

There's nothing surprising about this, either.

Protest about it all you like but the fact is none of this impacts your life personally and never will.

No one is "forcing" you to do anything, no one is or will force you to believe anything that you don't want to believe so why stress about something that has zero impact on your life now or ever?

The state is accepting the logic, and from it follows many consequences.

That's the problem.

• Advertisement

"God" is mentioned in the Irish constitution therefore the state is accepting the logic that "god" exists,, does this impact your life on a day to day basis?

What "consequences" do you forsee in the future that scares you so much?

What matters is the question: "Is this right?"; or, "Does this conform to the expected standards of evidence?".

Let me reframe the question: do you think it's acceptable for an Irish passport to have the words "Astralgender" listed on the document?

I'm against "God" in the constitution as I am against "non-binary" appearing there; both are religious ideas, bereft of evidence; and which have no part to play in Irish society at large.

You can believe whatever you want - religious or social. Just don't force the rest of us to believe it. It's really not a difficult thing to follow.

How would a person's passport having the word Astralgender on it impact your life? You're the one who has claimed this will impact you personally so I'm asking how? How does this affect your day to day life?

Objectivity and science matters, that's why.

What we call ourselves in our spare time is another issue, and people can do as they wish and I respect that.

But biological sex exists. We can dispense with that reality with abandon if we wish. But we cannot pretend there aren't consequences to throw biology and evidence out with the proverbial bathwater.

"Objectivity and science matters, that's why"

There is no scientific evidence that a god exists yet you are asked on the census to choose a religion. You can choose any or no religion and it wouldn't impact my life in any way.

If some chooses a gender, or no gender, or a flaming comet as thier preference then that also has no impact on my or your life in any way.

You're getting bent out of shape over something that doesn't concern you nor affects you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Taxes. Have a read of paragraph 13 of the judgment below and you’ll see that it would cost around £2m to introduce and administer the scheme. Is there somewhere else that £2m of taxpayer’s money would be better off spent on the needs of the many and not the few?

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2020-0081-judgment.pdf

2M over how long? It's not like they would suddenly have to reissue thousands of new passports it can be changed as people renew and if you choose to renew a passport there is a cost incurred. I've seen more money wasted on less, 2M is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Nigel Farage's press secretary is posting about the importance of science and objectivity...

Parodic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Surprising and welcome judgement.

No pasaran.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Doesn’t say, but £2m would fund 60 nurses for a year. You’re right in that it may not be a huge amount of money in the greater scheme of things, but spent correctly, it could make a huge difference in the lives of those who depend on the NHS/HSE.

So there’s your choice: 60 nurses because they are badly needed or an X on a passport.

You're basing that as 2M in one year, whereas it's more likely 2M over 10 years as people renew passports or get thier first one. Personally I would have no problem if they were charged extra for thier passport, X amount for a standard passport or an extra £20 for ythe amended one to cover the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

I believe intersex people are considered a subset of one of the two sexes, but I understand what you are getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You absolutely do not support trans rights. There are dozens and dozens of posts on this site where you oppose them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No surprise here at people jumping with delight on this. Its quite unhealthy the way some people are so negatively obsessed with gender non conforming people being a threat to the world.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Nope, the threat comes from TRA's and their complete abondonment of scientific objectivity and reason. For example, the idea that trans-women are literal women, or people can change sex. Said people tend to proclaim they support 'gender non-conforming people' as you phrase it. Issues such as this should be based in sex, a term, as the court pointed out, has always been used interchangeably with gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Maybe people are just tired of the constant whinging of some, who think the world needs to change to accommodate their specific needs.

If you agree to one change you open up the floodgates to whole hordes of people who have their own special requirements. Hardly surprising that no court wants to deal with that influx of work.

He's all prepped to respond to this one with "As a homosexual".... Funnily, he didn't address my post which pointed out that more than 2 genders isn't a new phenomena cause you know, social constructs.

• Advertisement

Want to identify as a woman and her legal backing, effect on you. Effect on society.

(also preferring one religion over another has an effect on society, as you should know).

Advertisement