Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disability allowance in Ireland

• 15-12-2021 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I’m going to try make this as readable as possible, I just struggle with writing. I’ve been on disability payment for about 10 months now. Haven’t been able to work for about 4 years. I’ve tried and I’ve wished every day I wake up that I can go to work but I’m just not able to. I either get fired or I quit. I’m diagnosed with psychosis and it’s reoccurring from my first psychotic break in the end of 2019. I get positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia although the consultant who put me in hospital has retired so I’m not actually diagnosed with schizophrenia as far as I know. I see patterns and hear whispers a lot, I’m extremely paranoid whenever I leave the house so I don’t usually leave the house. I have severe depression, insomnia and a lot of other symptoms of schizophrenia. I’ve had hallucinations of flags, black shadows, I think I see people sitting in cars when there is no one in the car, I can’t tell the difference sometimes between real memories and false memories, I don’t suffer too much from delusions but I’ve had them.

I wake up every day and wish I wasn’t like this and that I could be my old self and go back to work in retail like I did for 2 years. It hasn’t happened though. I’m still living in my parents house which causes me a lot of discomfort because a lot of my issues stem from living here and I’m reminded of how I was when I was severely psychotic. The reason I’m posting this today is to bring light to the issue that people who are on disability allowance face in Ireland. I’m assuming there’s a lot of people with the same issue as me because I don’t know how else they would afford to have their own house.

the maximum payment for disability allowance in Ireland is €203 a week (apparently it’s going up to €208 in January). The maximum payment for rent supplement in Ireland is €660 a month in Dublin. This means that no matter how much you suffer in life you won’t be able to get a key to your own apartment or house unless you wait the many years it takes to get a house on the housing list. I applied for both the disability allowance and the housing list at the same time but was denied the housing list application. I was told yesterday that if you are disabled in Ireland you are entitled to be on the housing list but I don’t know if it’s true because I don’t have much contact with other people outside of the internet and my mental health team. I can’t find much about this on Reddit although there is a great thread made recently that highlights the issues with housing for disabled people. I can’t link it but if you search ‘disability’ on r/Ireland, there’s a post titled ‘the reality of living on social welfare in Ireland’ made only 40 days ago.

So for years now I’ve thought about what I have to do to fix my housing issue. I just want to be able to do the menial tasks like washing clothes, buying my own food, being able to feel peaceful and put on a good tv show and relax on a weekend. I’m not looking to have parties where people wreck the place, I just want a piece of comfort. But I can’t get it. So a lot has gone through my head, save this 203 a week for however many months and then emigrate to another country and take a chance, go to another country in the UK or the EU (that might not even be predominantly English speaking) and try to claim benefits while I use the money I’ve saved for an apartment. I’m so stressed out on how that would go that I can’t even describe it.

it just seems like I’ve no options at all. I just want to get myself into a nice flat or home until I can get my head straight and then go back to work. I can’t see myself working from where I live now because of the past memories that are haunting me yet there’s no help at all. To make it worse you can’t even claim Disability allowance abroad. So if I do end up risking it and moving to the UK to get a flat, if it doesn’t work out and I come back, I might not even be able to get disability allowance again and I won’t even get paid while there. All the money would be going towards would be a roof over my head.

I just don’t get it. It hurts me to think that my life might never progress because I can’t get somewhere to live while being disabled.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

Advertisement