Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10.8.5 can't install supplemental update

Options
  • 15-12-2021 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I've been asked to upgrade a MacBook Pro. I'm a Windows person, so my Mac knowledge would fit on a postage stamp. They can no longer use any browser and the inability to upgrade the browser seems to be linked to having an old OS.

• It's a MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz i5, 4GB Memory
    • OS X 10.8.5

I've tried installing OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Supplemental Update and OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo). This is my attempt to get to a place where the laptop is usable and then maybe upgrade by increments to see how far I can get.

Both of these upgrades have these System Requirements: OS X Mountain Lion v10.8, OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5. Which this laptop has.

However I get this Warning message during installation:

"This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

I'm stuck now, what are the requirements? Any idea where I go from here, is this laptop an expensive paper weight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

What year is the Macbook Pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I think it's 2012. Well past due for an update/change. But I'm just wondering if there is any life left in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

The error is because you are trying to install the same version of update as that what is already there.

If you are trying to wipe it clean, then use Internet recovery on it, and erase drive and install OS again from internet recovery.

If not wiping it clean, you can reinstall macOS over the top from Internet recovery too, just don't open disk utility to wipe it first.

If its a 2012 Mac, it can be updated to macOS 10.15 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Just a quick update on this. I managed to successfully update the laptop to El Capitan - 10.11

It was 'pilot error'. I didn't realise I had to look in the Launchpad area for the OS installer after running the dmg file 🙄

It kept saying that it had successfully installed, but this was just the 'installer' file.

Advertisement