Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre - Is it hard to go for a casual drink / food mid-week?

• 15-12-2021 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Staying in Dub next Wednesday 22nd. Walking around Galway City in the evenings, there are Q's everywhere, it's quite hard to go for a casual drink or bar food at your leisure.

Is the city centre the same? I'm worried about Wednesday as guessing it's the last working day, so possibly a lot of people out on the lake before heading home for the Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of the city centre is Very Very Dead midweek (and relatively dead at weekends). Galway has students and a higher % of its population close to the centre.

There might be a bit of an uptick next week, but the commuter trains are exceptionally quiet already so there's very few people actually in work.

One single place has been unable to give me a seat since pubs reopened, and that was a somehow trendy place on a Saturday lunchtime.

No, Dublin city centre is extremely quiet, everywhere.

I haven't queued for anything since long before covid. Unless you want to go to diceys for cheap drinks with the students 😁, only place I have seen a queue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

To add, there's actually still more places reopening for the near non-existent trade. Odeon on Harcourt Street last night, Meaghers on Eden Quay (replacing a long gone pub) is meant to open Saturday too if their dates were right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You'll have no problems. The city has been hit hard, footfall is down, but expect to be asked for ID and for your Covid cert. I've been all around the country in the last year and it's stricter in Dublin than anywhere else.

One thing I've seen is the presence of owners working in their businesses along with staff which is interesting.

Any idea of what you're after or where you're going and I (or others) will point you in the right direction.

Hope you have a good time, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭bassy

this is all andrea gilligans fault after the topic on radio this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cheers. Staying city centre, most likely Gibson or Clayton (as it has a pool). We'll be out walking during the day and always loved stopping or a pint in the 'oul man' pubs off Grafton St. Just don't want to feel stuck somewhere. We'd normally have a pint and wander off to the next interesting spot that we walk past.

For dinner we're very casual eaters... bog standard pub grub somewhere in the city centre.

For what it's worth, I have no idea what you're on about! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

O Neills fits the bill for that then. Suffolk Street

the food in O'Neills is beyond bog standard going into stodge carvery territory though

if the OP is going all the way to Dublin might as well maybe go for something a bit more interesting to mark the occasion that won't break the bank?

Something like Tapas de lola a short walk away?

http://lastapasdelola.com/menu/carne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Nice one JC... sounds perfect. Market Bar for food after two pints in the Hairy Lemon? Regarding knocking around Dublin City Centre (from my experience of last week) be prepared for the streets to be packed but the restaurants & pubs to be fairly empty.

*Edit - Gibson food is supposed to be really good...

We're regulars to Dublin pre-covid. Always love a night or two away. We just haven't spent a night there since COVID so was un-sure as to the 'walk in' situation in pubs and casual restaurants / pub-grub. Galway is nuts in the evening, without having a local you can txt to save a seat, forget about it... Q's everywhere!

Gibson food does indeed have good reviews, it's just a little 'sitty down' for our liking. We're not foodies, we just like no-nonsense food and our evening does not revolve around the food, it revolves around a nice atmosphere sipping a pint of porter (or gin, or herself).

The general vibe from here seems to say it's not an issue anyway. I messaged a friend living on Leeson St and he said that while his local does be packed daily from 6pm, it's not a concern over all.

Some folks are into the tapas. Me for example. Some people are into middle busyish pubs with a nice pint and standard pub grub..

fine but personally I wouldn't consider the carvery there even "standard pub grub" - it's stodgy food left sitting in metal tins for hours.

Then offer up some choices that aren't absolutely completely different to their original question. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@op, Toners on Baggot street has a large beer garden at the rear and outdoor heaters, good spot imo.

I was in Dublin this afternoon and saw Q's at 4pm today outside a few pubs.

With the new rule of 5pm closing about to kick in from Monday , I would be checking if your hotel has a residents only bar option

Advertisement