Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build - New Build 2021/2022 Co. Kerry (Munster)

Options
  • 16-12-2021 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has began building in 2021 as the prices of everything has been increasing. How are you finding it. What are you expecting your build overall cost to increase by from what you had initially thought?

Are there any savings to be made by doing the self build route or are things very bad regardless.

Am about to submit planning application and am last minute contemplating reducing the overall size, i.e. reducing from 4 bed to 3 bed, removing the separate sitting room as i have a fear of the way things will go with all these increases

Any advice or realistic honest information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Biker1

Prices are only going one way I'm afraid. Self build can be cheaper if you are willing to verse yourself in all the Building Regulations and how to implement them so you can project manage the job yourself. Allow a minimum of €1500 per m2 of floor area. Finishes will determine how much extra it will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

I built a house for myself about 10years ago and had 2 sitting rooms, it was the biggest mistake I made on the design,total waste of space and money, sold the house a couple of years ago and built again open plan ,1 sitting room area, much much better

• Registered Users Posts: 21 realflash17

I started building in April in Wexford and as mentioned the prices have only gone one way since.

I am expecting a price increase somewhere between 10-12% when finished. I am using a builder to manage the overall project and although a fixed price was agreed January 2021 (I had a QS on board too) the builder came back around July/August and said he couldn't realistically complete the job to agreed price, the roof material was the start of it. I am hearing that the average build has increased 20% so I was never going to tell the builder to walk, I felt he was doing his best in challenging times and only passing on material increases and that was after shopping around.

It is an awful time to build, very stressful unless you have deep pockets and I would advise anyone that can to wait a few months. Material prices may not decrease but there was huge demand on trades post lockdown and as a result there was less competitive pricing too , a case of take it or leave it knowing people were desperate, add in Brexit and it was the perfect storm. The trades are definitely still busy but I think it has eased a bit.

Advertisement