Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring Euro savings from Canada to Ireland

• 16-12-2021 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've been living in Canada for the past 8 years and will be moving home in the coming months. I'm trying to figure out the best way to transfer my savings back to Ireland without paying high fees - the funds are already in a Euro account held with HSBC Canada. Getting a good exchange rate doesn't concern me as the funds are already in Euro, but I'm hoping to avoid large service charges and/or intermediary bank fees.

I know there are companies like Wise (previously Transferwise) however I contacted them and they only offer same currency transfers as a SWIFT transfer, which involves intermediary banks and higher fees.

Not sure if Revolut would be an option? Or if I got a cheque/bank draft issued to myself, would an Irish bank accept that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

A problem we all have abroad. I personally use “ wise” for transfers as it saves me a fortune. From what I understand they have multi currency accounts, which I know is not an issue for you.

transfer fees are minimal between same currencies.

banks charge extortionate fees for transferring. Revolute account could be another solution.

Advertisement