Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core Training - A systematic review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

That's bizarre, i was reading that this morning, we must be in some similar FB groups ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

I would imagine so, to be fair I tend to give alot of weight to Blagrove (who posted it) on research in the S and C field, similar to the way I would with Gareth Sandford on all things speed/snaerobic speed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not sure if this is one for nerds really.

What's your take on the research itself - a lit review, essentially?

Why do you think it's a good analysis, and more importantly, how it relates to running?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Sorry tend to write as a caveat when getting into the research side of things.

I think the the research itself lends itself to question some well trodden tropes around core training as it is perceived

1) Core training to reduce injuries

The research selection criteria omits prior injury history commonly associated with why people tend to adopt core training regimes such as low back pain, Spinal and neurological associated injuries. The purpose of core muscle development is a stabilizing and movement aiding function during physical activity which is often lost with people who view it as reactive rather than proactive. From a running purpose I think this should drastically chance the perception of core work from the supplementary to a pre cursor to efficient movement patterns

2) Some area's vastly under researched

Lumbar multifidus, which has huge ramifications on running form is a largely under researched area in relation to core training. This surprised me and even a quick review of core articles shows that it is overlooked in my opinion incorrectly in relation to core and in particular in how it relates to run specific focus

3) Core training should be viewed as multipronged

Debates often occur as to whether dumbells, swiss balls, traditional body weight are the best approach. EMG data shows that each have there merit and should be muscle dependent rather than approach dependent. Based off data unilateral free weights tend to among most specific by in large for core engagement but certain muscles require a little more nuance. Overall for runners as a starting point single leg low resistance dumbell movements are not a bad starting point for anyone with relatively little experience

Overall with the selection criteria of research involved I do feel misses a trick by sticking to English only papers, while large portion of the research tends to come from Aus/NZ, UK and US in this field there is some very reputable work coming from France on muscle activation studies in physiology and a couple of other non English speaking countries which might have decreased the large number of excluded studies.

Advertisement