Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2022 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thats some break in France. Pity Eurosport don't have the Belgium NCs.

Patrick at it again over Wout's knee injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That article of his is just pure tabloid trash. Always reminds me of Sam Allardichi's article in the London Evening Standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭timbel

Rory Townsend wins Irish National Championship 👏

Came home alone, about 30 seconds clear. Healy and Dunbar were 2 and 4 minutes odd back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Can’t find it now but an ex rider on twitter was giving out about UK born cyclists winning the TTs

He won’t enjoy there not being one Irish born rider on the mens podium.

I’ll add in it doesn’t bother me at all. Part and parcel of Irish sport (nearly all sports)

Wow Cav and Hayter in the break in the British race.

Sagan wins the Slovakian title.

If he is angry it should be at the lack of talent nurturing in Ireland not at the UK lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Phenomenal stuff considering he was going to retire last winter after he failed to get a WT contract and didn’t want to continue slogging it out at Conti level

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bora finished top 5 in Austria, looks like it was more of a training camp!

Jez the wind in Scotland hasn't let up at all. I'd actually not mind seeing Cav take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Cav rolling back the years once again. Genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if he gets called up for the tour, I know Patrick keeps saying Jacobsen is the number 1, but he must be raising eyebrows with sponsors etc to try and put pressure on having him there

It's nice seeing a sprinter go racing for a change, theres only a handful that can do it. I know Cav has said in the past the natiuonals are something he enjoys doing and there isn't really that huge pressure on him. He did a similar performance in a minor German stage race last year I think it was in equally **** conditions on one of the stages.

I see the unlicensed PCM version of Ganna won in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was a great finish, managed to find live coverage on Youtube (official channel, maybe they meant to geoblock it!).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Velogames for the TDF is live, looks like the boards league has automatically been recreated in it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,214 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As someone who, like I am sure many of us are, is either of a generation of whom many had to leave or are the offspring of those who did, it shouldn't bother me but it does. A lad in our club tries to make light of this and, ashamedly, I just bit my tongue. There are few, if any of us who knew friends or family who left, by choice or otherwise. If they or their family say they are Irish, it's good enough for me. I am still a product of my rearing and I still react in a certain way to certain things, forgetting that most alive today have no concept of what has happened before and that blaming the son for the sins of the father is pretty much a universal parable for being a c**t. I'm glad I stopped using Twitter, what a shower of f***holes many of its posters tend to be.

Every winner this weekend was worthy of it and was Irish, and from now on, I'll reign in my silence and tell anyone who says different to go rot in a hole.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

A few of the NCs I looked at on PCS had one participant and they get listed as the winner. Reminds me of PCM as mentioned earlier but I presume the race isn't run in these cases? In PCM if you fancy it you can watch your rider cycle the race on his own and have him throw his arms in the air at the end which can be amusing.

They sometimes update them later when they get more info. As in they see the winner posted on social media and report that without the rest of the field.

Not saying that’s always the case as there’s some small fields around. Particularly in some of the womens ITT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Alaphilippe not going to the TDF 🤨

Seven Worlds will Collide

Go to velogames.com and signup/login.

Join this league, which seems to be some incarnation of boards.ie - 77430889

Although i appear to be the only person in it? Not sure if anyone else is visible until the tour actually starts

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

Is Cav not gong to the TdF ?...saw his interview after the British road champs ( good win there and a great final lap to watch)

If not is there a bit of national politics involved in QS/PL not wanting EddyMx to be overtaken for most stage wins ???

Nah, he’s nowhere near the sprint level now of Jakobsen. It’s that simple really.

He wasn’t going last year until Sam’s injury and got lucky with the rest of the sprinters missing/ crashing. He’s the best sprinter of all time IMO but he wouldn’t be top 5/6 now

Nobody knows yet as QS haven’t named their team, but he wasn’t supposed to go last year either. Was only because Jakobsen was out, and Sam Bennett withdrew last minute through injury.

Even if he does go this year he won’t be the main focus, Jakobsen will be their number 1 sprinter

There's only 4-5 sprint stages as well, QS will want to give themselves the best chance possible for a stage, as JA is only coming back from injury.

Senechal also won the french national jersey, he wasnt named on the QS longlist, but the added exposure to QS of having the tricolore jersey at the tour, as well as being more use to a leadout for Jakobsen than cav, i'd imagine a spot will go to him now.

EDIT: according to this, no JA or Cav for the TDF, team announced later today - https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20220627_93101220

• Advertisement

Marc Hirschi also taken off the start list. He was a DNS at the nationals yesterday. Was he one of the ones that got covid at the Suisse tour the other week?

Advertisement