Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2022 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

New EF kit for TdF

edit: better images of just the jersey

and their new bike livery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The bike looks like they are sponsored by Tayto Cheese n Onion

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If it wasn't for the stupid stickers it would look like a classic 90s paintjob

I'll take frame in 52 please!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah big fan of the frame, wish they put the livery on frames other than supersix evos, I’d imagine they’ll be mental money

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Seems to be mostly the British cycling crowd up in arms about Cav.

Jacobsen has won a lot more than Cav this season and against top sprinters, he was always going to be selected ahead of him.

Cav did ride a great race in the Brits ,showed some great racecraft but he beat a junior and pro conti rider in a sprint against a field with no top tier world tour riders and they base their claims on this?

GCN are worst than anybody with their crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I think part of it is with trying to establish some relatively unassailable legacy achievement for Cavendish. He isn't the most successful stage winner across all GTs (Merckx - who else- with 64) or the greatest number of stage wins in a specific Grand Tour (Cipo - 42 in the Giro) so neither of those record are within his grasp. Outside of the TdF, his palmares on the road are probably fewer than you might expect from someone with the undoubted dominance and ability of Cavendish. One monument, one World Championship and 7 Classics put him behind several other sprinters including Oscar Freire (3 x WC,3 x MSR) and various career ranking sites bear this out.

So the outright TdF stage win record is probably his best bet at some quantitative measure of sporting immortality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

To be fair, classics and world championships were never really a pure sprinter’s target (and they seem to have completely removed any chance of a sprinter winning in recent years!)

Cav’s MSR win is his best win IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Like ourselves British cycling was all "Tour or nothing" so from the point of view of his local fans his record would be the best one.

Just took at Sam compared to the more accomplished Dan Martin in the eyes of the general public.

Annemarie Worst taking the win in Belgium there, odd thing is that she was on a Stevens bike and everyone else on the team was on a Canyon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,397 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Great they finally have proper live coverage but a head scratcher as to why they keeping running it along side the tour? Surely theres a better spot on the calendar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Christ!! Off for some winter CX/ MTB to improve bike handling skills!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

And having the tdf femmes so close to it - the men get a break between GT's, but the women don't?

It does demonstrate the priority the UCI give women's racing to run the two biggest stage races one almost straight after the other.

I get that there's a packed calendar, but surely they could have put the GD on even a week or 2 earlier to allow some recovery before the tdf?

It has to be the UCI scheduling I can't imagine the Giro organisers willingly run the race along side the mens TdF and a week before the women's tour.

It's a real shame as this year with the quality of the coverage now being the same as the men's giro with helicopters etc and not just 4g camera motorbikes and the last 10km it actually feels and looks like a grand tour. I saw the peloton yesterday from above and it was instantly obvious there were way more women there than usual.

Giro Donne not on eurosport live today?

Was on the player/gcn+ after 11am highlights on ES1 after the tour at 16:50 I think.

Yeah I saw highlights on but not live on the main app.

Boo!

Dani King would age ya. I hope she's not on for the GD. Talks about herself constantly! 'When I was riding...' x all varieties of same 🙄

Going to be a long week for you so 😁

• Advertisement

20km before they hit the climb to Balea Lake at the Sibiu tour. It is a spectacular climb with views to rival anything in the grand tours.

Coverage on their web site https://ciclism.sibiu.ro/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Great to see Egan Bernal training again

Really thought Mavi Garcia had that, AVV is some woman

The podium from the other day 🤣

I think it's nice they actually have a full podium after every stage instead of just the winner.

Depending on how pissed they are at not being number 1 😄

Yeah I like Mavi , a really class act so disappointed she didn't take the win but AVV had that well planned in terms of how she was racing that stage today from what she said in the interview. They put serious time into the others with the exception of Cavalli.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

An hour long history of Irish cycling with the Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche , Sam Bennett, Nico Roche on ITV4 tonight at 8pm after the hightlights programme

@itvcycling

Jesus that could have been nasty, car nearly entered the course at the Giro with 1km to go, looks like the out riders manged to warn the driver.

Really dodgy one. For a race of that stature 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Giro rosa was always a clash with the Tour/ early July from what I remember. Not sure the UCI really have the power to force the biggest races to move in either mens or womens - both calendars really need an overhaul (or at least could be better).

Given ASO's reluctance to put on womens racing, I could see the Giro telling the UCI to FRO, but it will ultimately come down to what race is bigger and the impact of racing the Giro first (or not) on the Tour.

Advertisement