Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFTs and gaming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's always truly amazing to me that the most successful NFT project (the Bored Ape shite) is objectively among the worst art there has ever been. Indisputably garish, ugly and artless digital rubbish.

A perfect symbol of the whole NFT grift.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Im not sure if it's worse than legend of dragoon. But it's close.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What? You don't think pictures like the below are incredibly artistic, stunningly beautiful and well worth thousands of dollars?

His shirt is worms! Apes don't normally wear worms!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reported post for sharing explicit, offensive content.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I also don't think links to pictures like the below are incredibly artistic, stunningly beautiful and well worth thousands of dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Just finished watching this one and it's pretty good. It's pretty law heavy, cos it's from LegalEagle guy.

He actually thinks that in some cases, if you're not the initial buyer and are 2nd or 3rd etc on the downchain, you may actually not own anything, not even the damn link! 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

he also throws out that because technically the art is thrown together via a program and not an artist its not art either. Which makes it all funnier.

Is there anything worse than exploitative 'free to play' mobile RPGs? How about exploitative 'free to play' mobile RPGs with dodgy crypto and NFT shite bolted on? Enter the Ni No Kuni's recently released mobile spin-off:

Let us all hope it all fails spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So one of the first NFT/Blockchain games on Epic is nearly here, and it looks worse than I even imagined. Grit is a western-flavoured battle royale, where you "own" the gear you buy in game, such as weapons and horses. Except the horses are generic asset flips. Here's one of the shills showing us "gameplay";

GAMEPLAY!!!

Absolute charlatans. Interestingly the game still has a page on Steam (who won't allow NFT shenanigans), so it really looks like they were developing this average BR game and decided to "cash in" on the NFT "craze", and movie to Epic midstream.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if that's meant to be read as a positive or a negative. To me that all sounds absolutely horrifying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, this thread is funnier than the actual Gaming Humour one.

What a bunch of pathetic rubes.

The emotional / mental buy-in on this grift is so complete with some you gotta wonder what else they have going on in their lives that they're so all in on this shíte.

The complete dissonance too that unless all those games are made by the same company there's not a chance publishers would allow you to earn upgrade material in a completely different publisher's game to give you an advantage in their game. Nor would they program the items to be ported over.

And it's also missing the bigger and more likely element, where the words "grind" or "mining" should be followed by "(or buy in our store with real money)".

Such utter scutter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There must be a vulnerability aspect to it. Seems common enough in the US of all places. They all want in on the next big thing. The problem is that for most people, by the time you've heard about it, investing does nothing but guarantee the assets for those who already own them.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

The tech industry is riven with a culture nowadays that demands you either have a "side hustle" idea that'll reinvent the wheel, or startups or companies with < 50 employees must have an infinite growth cycle, shill themselves into myth. LinkedIn has become borderline unreadable now, my feed full of supposed adults in IT writing up these faux-inspirational "think outside the box" platitudes.

NFTs are just part of his Hype Cycle, writ large and fooling people at the bottom that this - THIS - is where the future lies. But as you say, unless you're at the top of the pyramid, you're just a sucker, looking like a fool gushing about a random cowboy game that looks like a Unity Demo I myself might whip up in a weekend.

That game almost makes me think I could do better. It's like something you might see on an N64 and that thing had Goldeneye at least.

I feel like the people who are falling for this see themselves as seeing things mere mortals don't and sometimes act smug accordingly. It's weird because they're speechless when you ask why they're slugging it out with said mere mortals.

Startup culture sounds appalling. I worked for a biotech startup which was nice but the constant corporate sh*te about innovation was draining. Maybe I'm just getting old and NFT's are brilliant. I'll probably stick with my map painting games.

I've got repos on github that I know for a fact have more gameplay than that NFT game demoed.

Lots of startups are fine to be fair, there's a big Signal to Noise ratio - especially with American startups emanating from various "tech hubs" that are just IT echo chambers. I work for a startup myself and they're very human sized, and have their collective heads at the right height.

I'm sure someone, eventually, will find a niche for NFTs but they're not the great panacea to replace ... *checks notes* all of society's infrastructure, or will lift African nations out of poverty, like some advocates claim. And they're DEFINITELY not suited to gaming, unless you're the one doing the "nickel and dime"ing.

They are, however, deeply funny to read about.

Ah yeah, I'm sure some startups are fine. Much of the silliness seems to stem from the American desire to stand out and have that next big thing.

Funny to read about until you get to the equivalent of superfans who see it like a religion and then I get a bit depressed.

Oh I read it differently: I see these zealots and don't get depressed; instead I go "huh, I guess I am doing something right with my life if I haven't fallen into that trap"

• Advertisement

A lot of the cultish nonsense these people talk makes a lot more sense when you realise they're almost all deeply financially invested in the market. They have no interest in art or even entertainment: they are, almost exclusively, in it for financial gain.

As an aside, this is very funny. A bunch of people attending an overpriced crypto conference were given a 'free' horse NFT for the shite battle royale game noted above. It appears to have been a lightly altered store-bought asset 😁

I don't know. I've met a few who seem to want to roleplay savvy investors while having either nothing or very little to invest themselves. Either way, the common thread is that they're living the same lives as NFT-skeptics like myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This is some next level delusion.

If this is what videogames become I'll be sticking to emulators.

It's remarkable how all that apparent breathless vision of gaming's future just sounds like work.

Yep.

My heart will break if Paradox or Creative Assembly ever go down this road. I hope not but....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Christy42

What is the line about American's being temporarily embarrassed millionaires? Anyone can see that hard work won't get you to being a millionaire but hoping onto the next big thing early enough will make you one. Picking the next big thing is pretty though so you pick one and hope it makes you look like a genius in hindsight.

That outlook for the future looks bleak. Essentially a job just so you can play a different game. Never played WoW as I didn't feel like I wanted to put in the time commitments but at least there you were grinding in the game you wanted to be playing.

I prefer the analogy of a third world country in a Gucci belt.

The thing with the next big thing is when the influencers are pushing it hard, you're too late but too many want to RP as self-made millionaires so it takes off. And crashes often.

Unfortunately Sega seem to be quite keen on NFTs. They'll try to sell you your own personalised standard under which you can march into TW battle. AnD yOu'Ll OwN iT!!!!

I especially chortle at that tweet 'cos it seems to think it operates in some glorious gaming utopia where gold farming, exploits, toxicity and so on just don't happen. Or indeed, children don't play video games anymore; let's introduce kiddos into a completely transactional based existence.

• Advertisement

Hoping that strategy games will be immune. If not, at least let them make Warhammer 3 somewhat playable.

Advertisement