Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My parked car was hit

• 17-12-2021 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

My parked car was hit when I came back to it recently. No witnesses or cctv.

To cut to the chase, I am left with no choice but to claim off my own insurance. Fully comp.

However, I omitted to make an official report to Gardai at the time (panic/frustration/forgetfulness in anger), can insurance company not pay out on this basis? Just wish to know as I have no experience of the claims process. Mechanic said damage is 2.5k approximately based on his experience.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Insurance companies typically want a police report when you're claiming for loss via theft like a mobile phone that gets lifted from your table in a bar or restaurant - police stations in holiday resorts do little else but fill out those forms. For a 'hit and run' parking incident like yours, you have the evidence in the form of the damage to the car. I don't expect the insurance company will expect you to report it to the Gardai, it would be a total waste of time anyway.

But all you have to do is phone their claims helpline and ask.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ifindoubtletitout1

Thank you

Advertisement