Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Sky TV €500 a year!!!

Options
  • 17-12-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

Just finished my 12 months discount.

I notice that the monthly fee for the basic service is now €41. Almost €500 a year.

And most of the channels are free to air and those that are not have adverts after adverts after adverts. 18 minutes in the last hour.

So we pay a huge fee to sky to effectively watch hours of advertising.

I feel a call to sky coming on. Even €20 is expensive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That seems expensive, I pay 33 a month and that includes sky signature and has sky go.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,702 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Sky forcing you to pay for the service?

If not I don't see an issue just leave there service when your contract is up.

If you don't want to leave then you have to pay for there service and again I don't see the issue as they are up front and open about how much they charge for there service.

Again if you don't like there pricing leave where is the issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

It's their new "standard" price that you roll over to at the end of a discount period.

But most people just pay it not realising how much you are paying for so little

No, they are not forcing me at all. But they do make it very difficult to cancel.

I'm simply pointing out that their pricing is crazy expensive when you consider that most channels are free to air and the others are crammed with advertising.

If I don't get a €20 ish deal tomorrow for the next 12 months, I'll cancel

Just agreed €22.55 a month (45% disc) - surprising little haggling needed, he started at 24.60 (40%)

10min waiting, less than 5 min haggling.

But €41 is just ridiculous. No-one should pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Get you a Genuine Freesat Box or Linux Satellite receiver. And top up with NowTV (Sky) / Amazon / Apple / Netflix or any of the usual suspects. You'd break in year or a little longer if you have to replace a SKY Q LNB.

Freesat is fairly idiot proof (the hardest part is to use BT1 1AA if you want NI programs). But you have to watch Irish channels on your Saorview TV.

Linux receiver (get dual tuners or add a USB TV dongle for Saorview) means more setting up, but all channels can be put on one EPG. Autobouquetmaker means you can choose Freesat or SKY channel numbers.

Combo boxes don't have a UK EPG and unless it's a model where you can download channel lists are a pain to assign channels. Grand for watching live TV but there's too many ads, and a real PITA if you want to see what's worth recording next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You did this today? I'm in a similar boat.. just coming off a black Friday deal from last year.

Just after 12 today.

Too many service providers are moving to a model of ripping off those who don't haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

500 quid to have that shite beaming into your house 24x7x365

What do you actually need from that service ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got rid of Sky back in the recession and just watch free channels now, well worth the saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,145 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sky movies is a JOKE, it's like no movies are made anymore, as all that is on there is pure crap and old movies, I'm not sure what sky per year is costing me, but it's 1500 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,145 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I just looked it up, sky costs me 1800 a year, wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've just reduced it down to 100... that includes the broadband - still too high. Need to go back to basics with Saorview and Freesat. Sky's interface is very slick however. I'd miss it somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

That is the problem, no good way to mix Freesat and saoirview in the same schedule with epg because it's an Ireland only problem

My TV also both in the same list but not EPG on freesat

Still worth it to save 40 euro a month for basically nothing

There should be consumer law to stop companies offering big discounts on new customers

Insurance, phone, broadband, leccy

They are all at it

Eir broadband and phone is 71 euro a month if you don't cancel after the discount period

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You need to be on the ball and up to date to keep track of all these bills and make sure you are not paying too much.

The real losers are the older people who grew up in a culture of customer loyalty.

If you know an older person who you think needs help let them know how they need to switch suppliers regularly to avoid paying too much.

Ironically, they have all the time in the world to do the research and make the calls.

Most don't even know there are options, loads of young people too

It's time consuming to be going off getting quotes and as you can see above the prices have to be negotiated out aren't standard

Even on cancelling sometimes they just tell you to f off and the next they offer a deal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its not that time consuming,

Throw bit of info into bonkers.ie, its a 10min job

I do it every year with electric and broadband, I just set a calendar reminder for when the contracts are up., If people won't make the minimum effort required then they only have themselves to blame if they pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AuldDaysul

Same as that, got rid of sky and stuck up an antenna and got a combo box. We were pretty much only watching fta channels on sky anyway! Sky did everything to try and keep us, 50% off for 12 months etc, I just kept saying I want to cancel. The guy even asked me whats the minimum I would pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I cancelled Sky a few months ago after being with them for nearly 20 years. I can honestly say that by not having it I’ve not been inconvenienced once. I’ve all the players and have been able to watch everything that I would have on Sky. Best decision I ever made.

you have to do this with lecy gas broadband car insurance house insurance, is it as easy with them

you could be an hours cancelling each, 30 mins getting a quote on insurance, plenty of older people need to do it via phone, plenty of quotes wont even complete online

you have to cancel on the day, so need about 8 different alarms

you might be idle and have hours to spend, but others are working

• Advertisement

it took about 10 hours to uncancel eir just over a year ago, at least, had to go to the ombudsman to finally do it

then wasted a few hours to sign up with sky BB, which they failed to do so then went to vodafone

thats after following the procedures, 2 car insurance policys, then add tv in there, if I was paying for it

I only had one year of sky tv just to get a free dish

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Sky cancellation process isn’t hard. You just need to be firm but polite. Done in 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Most times is enough to login to the online account and extend the contract when the term ends. On a fixed term it gives a better price. Just need to keep a spreadsheet in the pc/laptop desktop with the dates when each contract ends, or make a reminder on a phone... Just a basic way to manage the life nowadays...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Sky is a robbery. I remember in a house share we had all the films and sports and BB 180 a month.

Lived in the North for a while when I was cancelling they were offering me the TV package, box sets and sports for 32 pound a month. Same would be over 100 euro down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Advertisement