Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work expecting to do online training at home?

Options
  • 18-12-2021 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

I started a new job in retail a couple of months ago which requires a fair bit of training mostly online which they expect me to do from home on my time off. I got pulled up saying I wasn't doing the training quick enough. My days off are busy for various reasons and when I get home in the evening after work I just want to relax. Is this fair or am I at fault. Just want some thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

welcome to precarious employment, this is clearly incredible ignorance on the employers behalf, some truly dont care about the well being of their employees, as is the case here, possible methods of dealing with this, but may cause you of being sacked

if its possible to do this training on your phone, consider doing so while taking toilet breaks during work

if training requires just basic video watching, log on at home, start videos, ignore them, and carry on with life.....

if all else fails, prepare to leaving this job

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Polish up the CV and get out of there. Your paid to be there from X to X anything after that you need to be paid for. I'd take it as a bad sign and get the hell out of there because you know what's coming.... "Can you stay on an extra hour and help with restocking, " it then turns into three hour voluntary work every week. Plenty of people will do it my SIL told me some horror stories about this kind of shite

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tell them that you will do the training at home if they will pay you overtime, otherwise tell them that they are breaking the law and you will report them. The right to disconnect is now law

this is very easy to say to someone on the internets, but in reality, you d find yourself on the dole fairly quickly if you done this, employers generally have the upper hand in these situations, moving on is probably the easier way

They can still be reported for breaking the law. Might not help the OP but it will help their replacement.

The reason why companies get away with the this, and not following consumer law, is because people let them. If they aren't reported they will continue to abuse their employees and customers.

• Advertisement

fair point, but its well known that some employers simply have comtempt for their employees, this is well known in low paid sectors such as retail and service sectors

Which is why we have to have laws to stop them, but like all the other laws we've passed and ignored they are of no use unless people follow up on their rights.

...again, fair point, but again, this is far easier said than done, you ll will find many, if not most people working in these sectors, that end up in these situations, live precariously, this is underlined by anxieties and fears of losing their job, being unable to gain further employment, and returning to welfare, its a very different world to those that do not live in this world..... its not just a matter of knowing laws, and not knowing laws, its ultimately based in anxiety and fear

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Just leave, you don’t go home from work to do more work. Joke of a company say goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Dead right. I'm well within my rights to say no but reality is its not as easy as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

No one is suggesting that you tell them where to stick their training, but you should get paid for any work you do. If the training is a requirement for the role, then training is work.

So, you either can do it and say nothing or say something nicely, and see what happens.

If it's job training, then it's not unreasonable to expect that this would be completed during scheduled work hours. Maybe that's the way they have always done it. Your time off is your time off though.

some employers simply dont care, they really dont, dont be surprised if this is a big retail outlet either!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,978 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's your hourly rate, how many hours of paid work and training are expected each week?

For example, if you're paid €20 per hour for a 30 hour/week, and expected to do 5 hours training in your own time each week, that's still 600/35 = just over €17 per hour. So not a shabby rate, and at least you get to choose when to do the extra time and do it in the comfort of your chosen environment.

Of course if you're on the minimum wage, that's a whole different ballgame. But in that case, even without the training issue, you should only be staying in the job for exactly as long as it takes you to get another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

MANDATE is the union which looks after retail workers. Email them or give them a buzz. You can speak to them in confidence and they may be able to put you in touch with a local rep.

Hopefully the training is something that is transferrable to another area, and you will be able to put it on your CV. But, as mentioned by others, you need to start looking for other work. And if you can, upskill as well. There are free online courses you can do. Look at Springboard and also Alison (a free online learning site).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Ridiculous carry-on, just go and do the training at home. Get up an hour earlier in the morning if not you're finding the time usually.

Would those quoting laws be happy to see a doctor who works 9-5 only and did not spend a minute of their personal time reading medical journals and keeping up to date with advances in medical science?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Doctors have a choice, the OP doesn’t…. Or well , isn’t being given one.

a few years back I sought a GP appointment at 16.00 but was told my gp wasn’t available, on training course….

suppose he should have gone home and done it, pulled a 50 hour week… sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

So it’s ok to work 6 days for 5 days pay by that rationale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Retail and training on your own time...it's not Holland & Barrett by chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

depends on the training. for most of my mandatory training its just skip skip skip, video, let it run, slip, do 'exam'. pass, done, fail, rinse and repeat. I never actually learn an thing from them. its a box ticking exercise.

on the flip side work are half paying for a college degree. its 4 years doing classes by night but at the end of it i have a degree. mostly on my own time but i can take study leave ahead of exams. A lot of my friends do Cisco and nokia etc training outside of work. its for work but its building their skillsets.

So I suppose its all about is the end result of the training worth your personal time? if the training is very specific to the role and company like induction training then **** that, it needs to be on company time but otherwise its normal to use your own time for upskilling.

Possibly. It's mute now anyway I've found another gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Retail?

Join Mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

That particular company are infamous for all sorts of sh!t like that...also for unethical sales practices and in some cases bordering on illegal

If a company expects employees to do work on their own time then I have a solid understanding of the role, it's to be exploited. Of course companies prefer not paying people to do their job, training is part of the job and it should be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

what did you do for a finish OP?

training @ home is like asking any tradesman to fix the toilet for free, or build an extension for free. the skills required are different, but should still get paid for them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lads, this is a zombie thread resurrected by what is clearly a ChatGPT bot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

ChatGPT was my first thought, too. They're still easily spotted. My question, though, is why? What's the benefit?

• Advertisement
Advertisement