Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desk fan affecting other appliances???

Options
  • 20-12-2021 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

I have a three way adapter and a 4 socket extension lead going to a double wall socket.

There is a kettle and 7 inch desk fan plugged into the adaptor. An AppleTV 4K and my iPhone charger are plugged into the extension lead.

If I turn on the fan while the television and the AppleTV are on the screen goes black for a moment. Same when I turn off the fan.

What is causing this and am I doing damage to AppleTV or iPhone?

The TV in the room is plugged into the wall (literally - the power cord goes into a hole in the wall) so I assume that isn’t being affected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Even though the 3-way adaptor is probably/maybe rated for the kettle's load, it's not recommended to have the kettle setup like this. At least move the kettle off the 3-way and directly into a plug-socket.

You want to see if the problem is related to the 4-way extension lead, so to troubleshoot the problem, move the fan and the Apple onto the socket directly, then power on and off the fan and see if the problem repeats. If not, move both onto the 3-way adaptor, repeat the tests.

At a guess, the fan might be missing or have a damaged shielding capacitor allowing it to back-feed electrical noise onto the AC power. That will affect electronic devices but things like kettles won't be affected. The fix might be to replace the capacitor, or to bin the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I pulled out the desk to vaccum and found another wall socket.

I moved the extension lead to that so now the fan and the kettle on the adaptor are noting the same socket.

However turning the fan on and off still causes the TV screen to go black for a moment.

It doesn’t happen every time (and didn’t happen everytime before I moved the extension lead). I had also noticed a couple of times the screen would go black even if th fan and kettle were not operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Citroen2cv

It could be radiated electromagnetic emissions from the fan. Anything with a motor tends to be electrically noisy, and monitors and TVs can be susceptible to radiated and conducted noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

What about the few times the TV screen has gone blank when the fan wasn’t operating?

Might that be Interference from somewhere else?

Advertisement