Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Just to add my perspective here, I'm at the complete other end of the scale, and I'll be wearing a running backpack (Salomon Adv Skin 12) with a 1 liter water bladder in the back, and two 500ml flasks in the front, for a total of 2 liters! I add High5 Slow Release carb & electrolyte mix to my water as well.

I'm aiming to do around the 3:30 mark, and I'll also take 2 energy bars and 6 gels (final one with caffeine) and find the running backpack is great to carry all of this along with keys, phone, hat, gloves, emergency toilet paper etc etc.

The extra weight would slow you down, put I pass loads of people as I breeze past the aid stations as people stop / weave to get water etc. I also really like constantly sipping away at my water when I want some, rather than waiting for an aid station and taking big gulps.

I do sweat a lot, so each person is individual as to how much water they will need. I did a 28k long run last weekend, and drank the full 2 liters on the run, then came home and chugged a few more glasses of water with no bathroom stops at all. Others may not need that much so try out what's best for you.

On the nutrition, this is hands down the best thing I've changed for me in my running. Taking on about 60 grams of carbs per hour (mix of carb water, bars & gels) has made a huge difference in terms of having energy at the tail end of races, and also in feeling good after long runs and races. When I take the food on, after a long run, I feel great. I do half my long runs with no food, and really feel very tired afterwards and for the rest of the day.

Nutrition is very individual and your mileage will vary, so try what works best for you over time.

Enjoy the Marathon and see you all out on the course!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I must be missing something obvious on the website, but what do I need to give a friend to collect my number for me? Flight won't be getting in early enough on the Saturday to reliably make it to the Expo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭py

You're taking the caffeine gel too late. By the time it takes effect, you'll be long over the finish line. 2nd-3rd last time you fuel would be were you should consider taking it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

No need even for a form, just a photocopy of your ID & signed written permission stating that they’re allowed to collect your pack for you.

They will email you a preprepared statement though if you ask

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Toilet paper? Gloves? Phone?

Each to their own, but would you not consider ditching all that stuff and going for a 3:15 marathon, maybe less?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'd be adding about 6% of my bodyweight carrying all that stuff 😀

Really struggling with the idea of carrying 250ml (250gm) of Tailwind, seems like too much weight. Especially given I don't plan on sipping on it until the second half.

• Advertisement

That is a serious amount of extra weight to carry on a run as short as 3:30 in a city marathon. Would even be on the overkill side of things for 3:30hrs in an off road course, unless it was totally unsupported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Looking to shift a marathon entry, is it too late for transfers?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Unknownability

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks - thought so! A mate can't do it and asked the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Some brazen lads on donedeal desperate to get a few quid for their bib, some not even masking their names.

Fairest way would be to set up a desk there for transfers on the weekend and allow locals to come in and return their entry not being used. Know of scores of people who have bibs but aren't going to run, reckon we will see 15,000 at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

What about carrying a tailwind sachet and mixing it in a bottle from the water station on the go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Or the tailwind in a soft bottle and adding the water into it as you go? Might be tidier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

It amazes me that you can’t transfer, a simple transfer form and agree to the T&C and it’s done.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

@68 lost souls I figured that to be a massive faff, have read people say so. Want to not have anything like that concerning me.

@Kellygirl K, that's a really good idea that I hadn't thought of. It will also mean I can carry 2x empty soft flasks.

I’m thinking of doing it myself. Just carrying 1 full one and two just with powder that I’ll fill enroute. You could have the bottle open as you approach the water station so you aren’t trying to open it while holding the water bottle you are handed etc.

• Advertisement

Has anybody ever driven into the city centre during the marathon? My husband is coming up from Cork while I’m running and we’re wondering would it be totally chaotic to try get into the city centre to find over night parking? He wouldn’t be arriving until I’d say 12 or after I’d expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

I agree. I know loads of people not doing it. A lot carried over from Pre-Covid. I see them advertised as either male and female tickets. I presume there is no difference with the bibs - I.e. male and female bibs exactly the same. They should offer transfers a few months out - only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Can’t vouch for what’s it’s like to drive up, but I do know Q-Park have a discount code going with the marathon for pre-booking. I’m mulling over the idea of bringing the car up on Saturday to park for 24 hours. Pick up the number on the Saturday and then just come back to the car after. just hesitant on a exit time in case something goes wrong on the day! That and if I book a spot, will there actually be one if I arrive in the middle/late on the Saturday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

On all my long runs I have a soft 500ml high5 electrolytes in my hand and a soft 250 on me.

In general, do people start with zero fluids on them and just grab water from the stops?

on a separate (related!) note - what’s the situation like for toilets pre-race? I usually go once or twice

recent races have those urinal circles for the men and v little queuing

The first water stop is about 3 miles in and a lot of people get their first water then. However it’s a very busy water stop so might be worth carrying a bottle at the start so you can skip that water stop.

Great news folks. The weather is going to be perfect for DCM.

I met Jim Aughney on my run this morn. I pointed at the sky and said 'Jim, I'd like to request this'

He said to me..

'I have it on order'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I usually just skip the first stop - it's very early to need to take anything on really but I suppose it depends on what you're accustomed to doing.

Yep, nothing to be gained from the first water stop, other than stress and a twisted ankle. Steer well clear, stick to the middle of the road and let everyone else around fight over a bottle that they will take a tiny sip from and then throw on the floor.

I think the main thing is not to panic about water. You don't really need it at all until about Crumlin.

Have always wondered why they had a station 5k into the race.

• Advertisement

Advertisement