Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fair enough. I think it's psychological though. Nobody *needs* water 5k in.

If someone needs it psychologically they still need it though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hometruths_real

not everyone is running and it might be their first water stop after nearly 45 mins to an hr

Outside of The Sahara, have you ever not been able to walk for 45 mins without water?

no bothers, that's not the point though... high performers with be taking on fluids lightly and often also...

the point is, if you get thirsty, you're already de-hydrated, which has an exponential effect (it's harder to re-hydrate without taking a break and it's easier to top up lightly and often)..

fast end of the spectrum, that will affect performance later in the race

slow end, their 1st drink is at nearly an hour in and their next one potentially an hour away..

you'd be horrified at the amount of stands for water in the London marathon

Most marathons have water starting at the 5km mark

• Advertisement

Fair point. If you're well trained though and properly hydrated you will not need water before the ten mile marker. Would hardly need a water station at all if you were walking.

I just think people get a little too anxious about it.

Nobody requires hydration at 5k at DCM.

Better to be looking at it than looking for it though I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Totally in agreement that there is no need for water at 5km, but they have to keep the water stations at that point or the crowds would be far too busy at the 10km or 15km point.

Pretty sure I didn't go for any water in London last week until about 10 miles in and had one of my best ever runs around London. Even after that point was only taking tiny sips every 3rd water station or so. Although they do have an excess of water stations at London.

you need to tell Kipchoge and nearly every other elite marathon runner this new information.... they can cut out their first water point between the 11 to 14 min mark

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Water at 5k doesn't improve your marathon performance.

Kipchoge and most elites addressed this before.

you need to tell him to stop wasting time taking on water at the first water station then...he might break the 2 hr mark in a sanctioned race with this new information

• Advertisement

Lads... don't want to cause alarm... but the Boston marathon has water stations from mile 2.... we need to notify the BAA!!

obviously all these runners (in a race with a 3hr marathon qualifying requirement for 18-34 age range) are not well trained and properly hydrated

should come do the Dublin marathon, they might get shown a thing or two

They're fuelling. They're not hydrating at that point.

it's both actually, and is factored into their overall race fuel hydration strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

There are never enough portaloos. There will be queuing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's also about the fractions of a percentage point difference between what you and your rivals are doing.

For the rest of us you'll lose more time and energy in fighting for a bottle at 5km than you could ever hope to gain in being successful in grabbing the bottle, and way higher chances of getting injured in the melee.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

The way some of ye talk about the water stations it sounds like the battle of Helms Deep.

I've done Dublin 5 times and never had an issue at water stations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Four waves this year.

15/16,000 starters max, 4000 a wave, will be no problems taking a bottle when people want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

you reckon there’ll be nearly 35-40% no-shows? mostly from those carrying over from 2020 I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Aye me neither. Can people not just take how ever much water they want without someone getting annoyed by it?

So what if you can run 100 miles without water, others like to take it on early and often.

Well maybe you should look at the race again. He took on a prepared nutritional drink more than likely electrolyte and not water at 5k.

• Advertisement

as you and others have mentioned... you don't take it anyway at 5k, so skip it...if you managed to do it for at least 3 water stops in London, with near double the crowd it's a non issue for Dublin

majority of others will use it... unfortunately the marathon isn't all about you

in that liquid that's not water based I take it? it's a wonder why it's factored into their hydration strategy then

Go and look at the science about marathon running and stop trying to change the discussion to suit your initial statement.

There is a big difference between water and electrolytes drinks and what they achieve

it's actually not changing the argument...

if you have an electrolyte drink... it's taking on fluids (I'm all ear if you can disprove this)

even if it's main aim is to fuel not hydrate at that point... its why they factor it into a hydration plan as they don't want to take on too much fluids..

if you can hydrate and fuel at the same time, it's more efficient than splitting the two

some runners use it mostly fuel early in the race, some use it as 50/50, there's not 100% correct answer as everyone is different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hope everyone's long runs went well this weekend?

Mine was 32k and went great and I enjoyed every drop of my 2 liters of water along the way 🤣

I assume you're talking about that other lad who seems to be working himself into a frenzy over it.

Totally agree with you btw, each to their own. Just made a point initially that I didn't think it was vital to have a station at 5k. Don't really care much beyond that.

Are you thinking that I want rid of the early water stations because I don't use them, so nobody else should either?

That is not my point in the slightest. Just suggesting to people posting on here stressing about how much they need to carry to not worry about it so much, and that just removing the worry about the first water station, which side of the road its on, what size bottles they have, should they take one or two bottles, when will they have gels, it it at 2.8 miles or 3.2 miles.... Those people would be better served by knowing that the water at that point won't make any difference for them and they are better off just avoiding that water station and any panic it may cause them when they drop the bottle or trip over someone trying to get to the first person holding a bottle.

There are better things to spend your energy on in a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

The cobble stones just after the first water station can cause more issues than the water station.

take water or don’t take it - it’s entirely up too yourself as everybody is different.

save your energy for the marathon folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭marathon2022

There's no point in trying to get the edgelords around these parts to consider the different runners-different needs for hydration and fueling during a marathon. The new minimalist agenda for fuel and hydration has no basis in the reality. Run far , need hydration, don't wait till your parched, run far need fuel, don't wait till your energy is depleted. Simple enough.

Advertisement