Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Does anyone use the "Race Predictor" on their Garmin watch, and if so, do you find it accurate?

Mine is predicting a 3.26 marathon which I'd be delighted with, but suspect it may be slightly optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

I take it with a grain of salt but I must say the predictor on my new 955 is pretty close across all distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Mine was predicting 1.44 for HM when I ran 1.35.

It's currently predicting 3.34 for the marathon, but have trained for 3.15-3.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Mine is similar … predicting 1:52:19 for the half when I did 1:43:05 a few weeks ago and 4:06 for the marathon when I’m trained for 3:45 all going well. Just ignoring it as hasn’t changed in months. My 5Km and 10Km predictions are also slower than I have run in training 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Mine is predicting 3:00:04 so I'm pretty delighted it's way off 😄

Do know a lad with that exact PB actually.

Garmin race predictor is a bit like your Ma with the exaggerated opinions about how great you are.

• Advertisement

Mine doesn’t seem to think much of me though 😂

Your last 3x uploads were easy runs and a walk. That will affect it.

Check in on it again after you've done a session.

I've noticed that before with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I've similar to @Kellygirl My race predictor for the half is nearly 2 mins slower than what I ran 3 weeks ago...

I think it's my Vo2max feeding into it that skews it for me as it hasn't changed one iota since doing a Marathon training block. The watch is just mad for me to do sprints and tempo runs and cause I'm not doing them it thinks the easy runs don't count

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My race predictor is claiming a 2:34 based off my running a 3:04 in London. It's nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ewc1978

I’m also finding the new forerunner 955 a lot more realistic with predictions than my previous 245. Most of the predictions for me are within the ballpark of what I have achieved or feel I could achieve. The Marathon prediction is actually scarily close to what I am aiming for.

Its a nice feature to have I think but I don’t get carried away by it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

I have a fenix 6 pro, last year the race predictor was within 3 mins of my actual marathon time, this year it seems to be miles off, giving a half prediction 7 mins slower than I ran Charleville, and a prediction for the full that's 17 mins slower than the target so I hope it's not accurate this time around!

Saw a pic on WhatsApp of one in Stoneybatter. Stating it's the course route.

Fenix 6 here too. I think since various updates it gives slower times but it rarely changes … even after sessions or even after I got the 1:43 in Waterford and marked it as a race and it still reckoned I’d only do 1:52. Maybe it’s because I record walks etc but that’s a bit stupid. Anyway, I rarely look at it these days as a result.

The Dublin Marathon Facebook page says they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I think it's broken. I have a Fenix 6 Pro and my HM predicted time has been 1:39 for 2 months. That's 2 months of pretty intense training including running 1:31 in the Dublin HM.

There's a poster in the Stoneybatter pic advertising a protest that happened a couple of weeks ago.

Deffo up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Mine is way off right now, its predicting 41:30 10k for me, never hit that when i was at my best and right now I am miles from that !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The race predictor on the new watches (955/Fenix7/etc) seems to be much better than the previous iterations. Mine was pretty close after I finished my toughest workout before Berlin - predicting 3.44 and I ran 3.39. It's almost spot on for the shorter distances for me.

My old watch was predicting a 3.01 marathon when I wasn't even able to run a sub-4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I was training for a sub 2:50 my 935 predicted a 2:43 I ran a 2:59 but not at the race I’d trained for and didn’t push for the sub 2:50 on the day as I was ill the previous 2 days, not wildly off but not exactly accurate.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

Is the bag drop a safe option? Since I'm not familiar with the city and staying somewhere on the outskirts I definitely want my phone with me after the run.

So I have 2 options. Wear pants with a large enough phone pocket or just put it in the bag and drop it off. But I'm kind of not liking that idea for some reason.

But running 26 miles with a large smartphone in your pocket doesn't seem like fun either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Have done Dublin 5 times now I think, have left phone, keys, wallet etc in my bag. Never any issues.

Yeah, the bag drop is 100% secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Absolutely no issue leaving your phone with your bag at the bag drop in DCM. Probably the safest place you could leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i wonder will they ever give an option to post out race pack, personally i would have no problem paying a lot for postage

to avoid having to drive up to the rds friday or saturday ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭py

They're charging companies premium prices for the expo. The goal of this is to get people in front of those companies. I can't see them changing that any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah its cos the expo. But I can understand it can be a drag for some people. I live in Louth and its a pain in the hole, cant imagine the likes of Cork or Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I think the first symptoms of Taper Madness are starting to show :-)

Looks like I'm in the orange wave (8:45am start) and if I'm reading it right the relevant baggage area closes at 8am.

So I double checked the hotel I booked and found out it's not the one I thought I was in 🤣

Stayed in the old Jurys in 2019 (the one near the American Embassy) and thought I was there again but turns out it's the Clayton Ballsbridge I've booked instead (looks to be around the back of the RDS)

I walked into the start area before but half-thinking of getting a taxi in this time - what's the consensus on the best option? Get a bit of a walk in to settle the nerves, or hop in a taxi to save energy??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 boardscoffeepen

Advertisement