Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I think there were, yes. I may even know one or two people who ran one, as opposed to knowing more than 30 who ran this year (and at least another 10 who had entries, but didn't start. I don't think they would have gotten a huge amount of income from the virtual runs.

(Just checked - 2021 had virtual marathon 1475 entries (that's less than the Raheny 5 Mile?) @ €15/each(?) - so €22k. )

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah not much really.

Just shows ye the costs of all the stuff on the day. As I said I dont doubt they need to put the price up (I dont think anyone is making money from this) but always interesting to see where the costs go. I know a few have said that they could change the route and have more in the park etc but I wouldn't want that. Its the Dublin City Marathon, not the Phoenix Park Marathon. It'd get pretty boring pretty quickly IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Absolutely. Not a fan of Chesterfield Avenue, or the hills in the park! I did the Rock n Roll half when it went around the outside of the park (due to the Pope arriving a week later, or something), and that was seriously empty and depressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Rock road area from Ringsend side, would have to be out and back due to Dart.

Send race out n11 to Stillorgan early and go anti clockwise across to Rathfarnham and back to Terenure.

Coast road from Fairview to Howth Junction, could take in East point.

Raheny, Coolock, Donnycarney, Artane, link in with a full Park loop.

Endless possibilities but are they willing to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Any ideas on how likely one is to get a lottery slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Unknownability

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭FazyLucker

Fazy is in for next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

All this talk of a route change is great but you haven't to realise the significant one off cost to that. emergency plans, access/egress plans, policing plans, consultations with different county councils, residents associations etc. If you stick to the tried and tested route in decreases the costs significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

I am not to bothered about the Marathon course itself. Its the rest of the race series I think needs a drastic change. Doing laps of the phoenix park on Sunday mornings really bored me this year. The half marathon in particular was a boring slog and I will not be returning again next year if the courses remain the same.

The Rock n Roll crew had issues but I liked their courses.

As for the price. Yeah its a jump. And asking for that amount this early would be a lot more easy to justify if they had any kind of deferral or refund option. I can understand the crew has probably had a tough few years but come on.

Post edited by solidasarock on

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hugeglobe

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

Quick report on Dublin last weekend FWIW;

Did a 16-week plan targeting 3.20 - on the back of 3.35 in Manchester in April and 3.49 in Belfast in Oct 2021 - and was pretty much on track when a calf strain occurred with a little over three weeks to go. Physio took me off running for 2 full weeks at one stage of it. Ultimately missed three long runs (22m, 15m, 10m) and all the usual speed work etc throughout those weeks. Ended up revising to 3.30 target and was on target for it after 18 miles but died a death after that and finished in 3.34. A small PB but ultimately all a bit frustrating. Could sum it up by saying it felt like walking into the Leaving Cert without being allowed to study for the previous few weeks. (Or as my wife put it, like 16-weeks of being pregnant and then a long, painful birth!)

Got Covid the week before Manchester, though still got through that one, and have had 8-10 physio sessions throughout the year for an ongoing groin issue which is slow to heal. Three marathons in 13 months is probably a lot for a relative newcomer to this amount of training. Hence the injuries. So I've decided for a bit of a reboot. Going to do a full screening of my running form, gait analysis etc and get a coaching plan based off that. Thanks to a useful steer from a boards member, I have found someone who will hopefully do all of this. Hopefully will build in some S&C/pilates work which I hadn't been doing. Basically I think it's time to invest in this properly and sensibly or I'll keep going from injury to injury to painful marathon. On the positive side of things, there seems to be scope for improvement with a bit of targeted training overseen by someone who knows what they're doing.

Hoping to do a spring marathon in Europe (maybe Paris/Manchester/Brighton) and then Dublin again next year. As much as Dublin annoyed me in parts (the drive up to expo on Saturday with three kids in the lashing rain and then 7 quid parking at the RDS was a particular pain) it's still a very handy one for someone living in the vicinity. Even allowing for the price increase there are still no flights/hotels etc to factor in and it's generally well run. Would like to give it my best also and see what I could do with proper preparation. Instead of falling over the finish line in a heap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

i dont see how so many people are so critical of the phoenix park, especially for short races like the half marathon.

its one of the best places to run in ireland IMO. i might be a bit biased as i live beside there and do my training there but in saying that, it should be me who is sick of it! what do people want from a half marathon like?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Once more into the breach for me next year… amazing over the past 2-3 days I’ve talked myself through several stages of denial on it. Rationally thinking, with two young kids at home, I’d be lucky to get an evening away, let alone a weekend for a marathon! I do fancy trying to do something at a shorter distance away, so it’s something to look into during the first part of next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

The organisers are getting a bit of flak on FB about the price increase but, for those unsure about committing so far in advance, there should be a refund window some time in 2023 according to recent comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

I’ve followed this guy on YouTube for the last few years.

Great video about him running Dublin here

https://youtu.be/uEeXBYcgAEY

A 2:31 training run!!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

I said to my wife no way will I enter again next year. Yesterday I began to waiver. And today I gave in. I’m doing it again booked it 5 mins ago

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't think that the claim of 15k finishers against 25k entrants is proof of the need for transfers. If transfers were needed then there would have been more finishers and cases of people running in the wrong age group/ category and winning.

10k no shows just shows that people are not motivated to run races at the moment, despite the alleged boom in running during 2020. Many race entries are well down on 2019 numbers, and a few race organisers local to me have shut down recently or cancelled some events due to lack of entries. The difference with Dublin 2022 is that most people got their entry in 2019...and then a large number of them changed their minds.

What people are asking for is not "transfers", but "refunds" and I think the Dublin organisers would be less into that idea as they would just end up loosing money from what they already spent in arranging things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The thing is the price increase jumps out to people so much because they are comparing it to the last time the majority purchased their entry - 2019. If the pandemic had never happened and we had DCM in 2020 and 2021 the price would have been increasing then, most likely to where it is now, it just wouldn't have been as noticeable going up a small bit each year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

Did many drop out during the race as I must have spotted a couple in Phoenix park walking along the fury glen. About a dozen parked up or walking back towards town at around halfway.

I was halfway in 1:37 ish time. So a few more I expect after I passed through.

The ************* have just got €113 off me. It’ll be my 10th Dublin in a row (don’t do virtual) so will see after this one what happens next.

But they had a refund option for those who registered in 2019 and didn't want to do it this year. I think a combination of refunds and waiting list is the best option, mind you I'd imagine the waiting list would be fairly small.

I think plenty of people will register for the "lottery" in the next few days, knowing full well they will neither have the ability nor the will to finish it. In the grander scheme of most peoples lives, €113 isn't enough to put the "maybe's" off applying. Hence you end up with a load of unused entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

A simple transfer system in the month of July would be fairly easy to sort. Admin fee of 10 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

I know of a couple of people that simply didn't know they had an entry carried over from 2020 being cancelled. They had put all notion of running out of their mind during covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

For anyone interested......

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Why would you expect the proce to have increased when before this inflation was essentially zero for 12+ years?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

I agree a transfer system should be introduced. I was injured this year and knew early I wouldnt be able to run it. I would have been happy to transfer place to another runner. An admin fee - 10/20 euro would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

SNAP!! Did exactly the same, promised my wife I wouldn't do another one, crumbled this morning before the 9am deadline 😊

If it worked, great. I doubt there is as big a demand for transfers as people here would think. Might get a couple of hundred max I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The number of people posting trying to off load entries, and lack of anyone posting on the look out for entries suggests that transfers wouldn't be happening.

It would be a whole other thread to figure out where all the runners from pre covid times went, and where all the new runners from during lockdowns went, and why races/ parkruns/ clubs haven't managed to capitalise on those numbers.

Advertisement