Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you go to get a cheap first project car?

Options
  • 20-12-2021 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey folks

I'm looking to pick up something cheap with plenty of spare parts to be had so that I can start messing around without risking my daily driver. It's a bonus if it's a nice looking car that can be brought back around but really I'm just looking for something pretty common that I can make my mistakes on and will probably end up scrapping in the end.

I've seen some youtubers etc. from other countries like the states walk into scrapyards with loads of old cars with separate frames and bodies which I'm sure we can't get here but I'm wondering if you can buy a car that's for breaking off a scrapyard or are they not allowed to do this by law?

What other places would you recommend to get cheap cars that might not be running or need some work? I've seen some on donedeal etc but not a lot. I've also heard about walking into dealers with cash and looking at their traded in cars but not sure if that's still applicable. Any other good places to pick up a car to work on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

I know it's a bit old thread but I thought I might give advice.

Certain cars are considered simple and easy to work on. Old beetles (air cooled easier to work on), old mini, Mazda MX-5. Even something relatively modern like a Nissan Micra could be a good project car.

You should have no trouble getting parts. The below 500 euro on done deal might be a good start, but if you intend driving it ever you might want something half way NCT ready or relatively easy to fix up. You could start with something with a relatively easy NCT fail and get it through NCT. If you intend working on car for more than a few days make sure when changing ownership to declare off the road and keep it off public roads. Otherwise back motor tax will be due.

Without a car lift, certain expensive tools, certain jobs are impossible or messy/dangerous on driveways.

I am sure scrapyards will sell NCT fails or nearby dealers but beware previous owners or scrapyards or garages will want to put the car into someone's name to prevent blowback.

If you don't have a car transporter and a decent towing vehicle and a licence for trailer to take the total weight, I will be aiming for running vehicles and try to make a few quid getting them through the NCT. In that game there is not much money to be had as prices are so low anyway so it may be a loss making exercise.

Many older mechanics started off on old beetles as parts are plentiful and they are simple to work on.

You can filter by location and get something local for sale very cheap.

Advertisement