Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike Security

Options
  • 21-12-2021 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all, new to the forum and wanted to ask people their thoughts on bike security.

The last bike I owned was a 15 year old Honda Varadero and I parked it outside my house It is a terraced house so my only option is to park on the driveway. I was always conscious of the potential of it being stolen and mitigated this by having a ground anchor, good kryptonite lock and also a good alarmed disc lock. Never had any issues, however, my question is would you be happy to own a nearly new bike and leave it outside overnight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If leaving it outside is your only option, yes. but with the same security as before you should be ok - you know your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If its new no. A kyrptonite lock wouldn't cut it for me. I'd have the largest almax chain I can get hold of with a suitable squire lock on it. The plan is to slow people down creating as most noise as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mossiepark

Great advice, thanks. I hadn't heard of Almax previously. the video of them breaking competitors chains is a real eye-opener!!! Their prices must reflect how good they are 😳 Maybe the sensible thing is to buy something a little older but I did think that there was value in investing in something 2/3 years old. I dunno maybe I should just lock it up as you suggest, get comprehensive insurance and take the risk 🤔

Looking at their ground anchors makes me think mine isn't up to scratch at all. Does anyone know of a company that fit them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

TBH I wouldn't ever be too comfortable with it sitting in the front drive but needs must, as above, anchor to complete busturd of a chain and good lock, alarm, disk lock etc etc and a cover (at the very least they'd have to look before getting to work - another few seconds.) I'd also suggest something like a blink camera (or better if possible) as motion detection will send a notification to your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Basquete

I had a bike stolen this weekend so maybe I'm on the negative side but I don't think I'll get another bike unless it can be locked away. I had mine anchored with an Oxford XL monster lock, a Kryptonite disc lock, in a secured area behind a barrier and with CCTV and it still got taken all too easily.

If needs must, go for every form of security you can get. A cover and an alarm are definitely needed and I think there is a subscription service you can get where your bike is GPS tracked. Worth looking into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

You can also use those Apple Airtags to track items so might be worth hiding one on your bike. The tracking works on Apple or Android phones and there is no subscription service to worry about.

The tags themselves have a little inbuilt speaker that can be activated to "find" the tag itself but this can be physically disabled if you look up the process on YouTube. Might be worth thinking about as a cheaper type of GPS tracking unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have a 6 month old bike parked outside in a Dublin suburb. Its in the alley between mine and the neighbours.

Cctv with floodlight. Anchor, chain and disklock. I park it with the steering lock on. It has a cover on it always. And an apple airtag. Not much more I can do but the goal is to make it as risky as possible for someone thinking about robbing it.

Advertisement