Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to work in N.I after applying for citizenship

Options
  • 21-12-2021 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have the right to work in the UK and I am a doctor and been living in Ireland for the last 5 years on a regular work permit. I am going to get Stamp 4 in a couple of months and apply for citizenship.

While having applied for citizenship, will I be allowed to work in Northern Ireland while awaiting my citizenship ceremony? 

I am planning to live in Dundalk and work in Newry if allows

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

You say you already have the right to work in the UK, so then can also work in NI, but if you have been living working in Ireland for the past five works, I would have thouight this would have lapsed by now.

The act of Applying for Irish Citizenship does not give you any extra rights in Ireland, UK or Europe. You only gain the rights on an Irish citizen AFTER the sucessfully completion of the Citizenship ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dualparadox

@GerardKeating What I am asking is while waiting for citizenship, do I need to stay in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Your right to work in the UK is as a citizen or not?

I'm assuming not as UK citizens do not afaik require stamp 4s to live and work in Ireland.

I would suggest a consultation with an immigration lawyer who will be able to advise on all aspects including the length of reckonable residence required immediately before the application is made

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to-become-a-citizen/become-an-irish-citizen-by-naturalisation/

• 1825 or 1826 days of reckonable residence based on your accumulated permission stamps
    • This includes 365 or 366 days (1 year) of continuous residence immediately before the date you apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The important date is not the date of your citizenship ceremony; it is the date your submit your application. You must have lived in Ireland for five of the nine years preceding that date, including 12 months continuous residence in Ireland immediately before that date.

If you leave the State for a period after you have submitted your application but before the Minister has made a decision on it, it shouldn't affect your application.

But . . .

If there's a technical problem with your application and it gets sent back to you and you fix the problem and resubmit, the resubmission may be counted as a new application, in which case the five out of nine years and 12 months continuous residence requirements are counted back from the date of the resubmission. So even after you have submitted your application it would be prudent to reside continuously in Ireland in case you have to resubmit. You can't really relax about this until you are notified that the Minister has made a decision in your favour.

During the 12-month period, living in Dundalk and working in Newry would count as residence in the State. The important point is that you are living in Dundalk. But your residence in Dundalk must be continuous; current practice is that you can leave the state during the 12 months for a total of 6 weeks for holidays, visiting, work trips, etc and still be considered to be continuously resident in Ireland. So, so far as possible, come home to Dundalk every night; don't rent a flat or a room in Newry or stay with a friend or whatever even if that would be easier for work, late shifts, etc. The more it looks like you have any kind of base in Newry the weaker is your claim to have been residing continuously in Dundalk.

Advertisement